Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

B14's Knock/Bang on 2016 Beach

AW-Cali

AW-Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hey B14 lovers, and more specifically B14's on a T6 Beach lovers.

I have had mine fitted for about 3 weeks now, and I have to agree with the positives offered by many - a lot more composed and comfortable than previous, yet a degree firmer - generally happy.

However, being a UK citizen my local roads are laden with speed bumps, and I have found that the rear suspension 'knocks/bangs' when going over these humps, mainly on the downward hit, i.e. not normally after the initial hit of the speed bump (the knock can be heard here if hit at speed), yet mainly when you drop back down.

Its quite noticeable, yet is not present if i very gingerly go over the bump. I do not notice on normal roads besides the odd large drain or pothole that I did not avoid. The knock is definitely on the rear and on either wheel / both on speed bumps.

I have been back to the garage for review and all is deemed mechanically sound, and certain that nothing else is causing the concern (i.e. spare wheel).

The T6forum has a few mentions of this over the years, mainly attributed to (yet not confirmed to be) a poor Bilstein batch - yet nothing concrete.

Local garage states that other vehicles they have fitted them too - mainly Caddies & T5-6 Transporters, do have some customers who make similar statements when hitting significant obstacles? Deemed down to reduced damper length and closer springs coils.

It is going back in to the garage Thursday for a final review, yet I would welcome any feedback from other users, specifically Beach users as we are not carrying as much weight and I wonder if this has an impact? (shouldn't considering all the unladen Transporters running around on them)

I do not feel I am rallying my Beach in any manner and would not deem the speed I am approaching the speed bumps excessive.

I suppose my question is, after a few weeks of headaches and back and forth, is this in anyway familiar / acceptable?
The fact that besides this occasional sound I am very happy with the results I am tempted to leave as is if no improvement after this review Thursday and just take speed bumps that much slower?

Thoughts welcome

Alan

Are the rear springs under slight compression when Cali jacked up?
I have heard of the adjustment being too far down allowing the spring to come off its seat when a wheel drops into a pothole for example.

Do you have a photograph of how low it is at the back?
I run B14s on a T6 Beach. I get a slight knock/click sometimes when turning 90° left at slow speed on the brakes but nothing at the rear from the suspension.

Do you have a spare safe fitted?
If so, that can catch the speed hump as you leave it, particularly if you accelerate off it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments...

@B J G - Will check this when on the ramp Thursday :thumb
@s2bear & @Volkywagen - Lowered it to the 'mid point' of the shock and have since had it lifted a little. Will be lifting it up to max on Thursday (was the original intention anyway as the 40mm drop is all I was after yet garage set it midway) I have no safe.

@s2bear if you take a speed bump a little over zealous - no knock?

Cheers all

Do you have a photograph of how low it is at the back?
I run B14s on a T6 Beach. I get a slight knock/click sometimes when turning 90° left at slow speed on the brakes but nothing at the rear from the suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bear, I get this with my T6 on standard suspension. Ive had Volkswagen check it over, but they can’t find any issues...
So probably nothing to do with the lowered suspension.

Thanks for the comments...

@B J G - Will check this when on the ramp Thursday :thumb
@s2bear & @Volkywagen - Lowered it to the 'mid point' of the shock and have since had it lifted a little. Will be lifting it up to max on Thursday (was the original intention anyway as the 40mm drop is all I was after yet garage set it midway) I have no safe.

@s2bear if you take a speed bump a little over zealous - no knock?

Cheers all

No knock as far as I know but will give it some beans as I exit one tomorrow and let you know. Look out for my next post entitled Wanted: T6 rear end.

My spare safe used to grind like mad on bumps and driveways though. I asked for a 40mm drop. Got 70mm and the fitters said that was at the highest setting. Little bit don’t believe it - think they just couldn’t really be *rsed to change it so I may get it raised a little soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No knock as far as I know but will give it some beans as I exit one tomorrow and let you know. Look out for my next post entitled Wanted: T6 rear end.

My spare safe used to grind like mad on bumps and driveways though. I asked for a 40mm drop. Got 70mm and the fitters said that was at the highest setting. Little bit don’t believe it - think they just couldn’t really be *rsed to change it so I may get it raised a little soon.

Where do I sign to avoid liability? .

Will post a pic once I’ve had it raised again so you can compare your drop. I’ve had mine lifted once already by the laser alignment guys after initial fitting, they were happy to, free of charge whilst there.

Had B14s on My ocean
It was real low on the highest setting the rear adjusters were right at the top setting and it was still slammed I loved it ...
But it’s a shame the only adjustment I had was lower!!!!!!
U 2 have beaches so you’re not carrying a kitchen and units around so you may have more adjustments

Bear, I get this with my T6 on standard suspension. Ive had Volkswagen check it over, but they can’t find any issues...
So probably nothing to do with the lowered suspension.
Oh ok, cheers. That’s good to know - I think.
We’re both either completely fine or in danger of something really important falling off.

Quick update, I'm knock free!
Fitment error I believe, fitters said that bump stop was hitting the lower spring holder. Some adjustments made and suddenly everything now feels as I expected!

@s2bear No noises when turning on the front, hopefully as @soulstyledevon suggests this is nothing of concern.

Photo attached of my ride height which I understand is close to / @max height FYI.

20200303_165720442_iOS (2).jpg

Back