Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 speed limiter - a discovery

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I take it all back! I'd assumed ACC was ACC across the whole VW range :veryfunny

Indeed looking at the T6 manual it is only the adaptive cruise and NOT a speed limiter also!!

Just going to tip-toe away gently...

Sorry to be dense but are you not describing a normal function of the cruise control e.g set speed to 40mph and it will stay at that speed? Or does the function you describe allow you to use the throttle as normal e.g in stop start traffic, but won't let you go above the pre-set speed?

I've had this T6 for over a year but haven't managed to drive it that much. Also being a bloke I tend not to read instruction books that much, only for reference. They induce a coma quicker than a party political broadcast. So it's highly possible it does have a speed limiter and I haven't discovered it yet.

Hi Borris, yes, that is correct. It will not allow your vehicle to go above a pre-set speed.

This is done using the button marked on the steering wheel below. It toggles between ACC and Speed Limiter. Will take another pic when I go out later today and show the display changing from ACC to Speed limiter.

(please ignore the dust on the wheel, the inside is due for a clean).

1612511413443.png

As you already know,
- if a vehicle just has CC, when on a downhill it does not hold the speed. It can exceed the set speed.
- if a vehicle has ACC, it also holds the speed downhill (to the maximum extent possible, I think based on engine braking and also other electronic speed control mechanisms).

This function requires you to manually control the speed, but how much ever you press the accelerator the van will not exceed the set speed. This is a van with DSG.

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I take it all back! I'd assumed ACC was ACC across the whole VW range :veryfunny

Indeed looking at the T6 manual it is only the adaptive cruise and NOT a speed limiter also!!

Just going to tip-toe away gently...
Could there be a difference between a manual and a DSG? See my post above. My T6 does have ACC and Speed Limiter. Two separate functions that are used independent of each other.

On the T6.1 his is the option screen that comes up when pressing the extra button.

86A61D56-C4D4-4661-BAA0-5D0C8E0C7264.jpeg

On the T6.1 his is the option screen that comes up when pressing the extra button.

View attachment 72979
The braking function on ACC is a licence saver, we spend a lot of time driving in the forest keeping to the 40 limit, the speed traps are always set up at the bottom of hills for obvious reasons. Not having to watch the speedo all the time is a bonus.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I got talked out of ACC by the Salesman at the ordering point. Something I regret not having especially as I (normally) spend 3 months of the year in France and the 80kph speed limit is almost impossible to adhere to. The old 90kph wasn't a problem.
All to do with the gearing suiting above 80kph, 50mph, travel speeds.

Hi Borris, yes, that is correct. It will not allow your vehicle to go above a pre-set speed.

This is done using the button marked on the steering wheel below. It toggles between ACC and Speed Limiter. Will take another pic when I go out later today and show the display changing from ACC to Speed limiter.

View attachment 72978

As you already know,
- if a vehicle just has CC, when on a downhill it does not hold the speed. It can exceed the set speed.
- if a vehicle has ACC, it also holds the speed downhill (to the maximum extent possible, I think based on engine braking and also other electronic speed control mechanisms).

This function requires you to manually control the speed, but how much ever you press the accelerator the van will not exceed the set speed. This is a van with DSG.
This is interesting. I have never looked into the fine detail of what that button does other than to assume it merely turns the ACC function on and off. So you are saying it switches between the ACC and SL functions. If in the SL position with the ACC disengaged, how do you set the speed you wish the SL to regulate to? :thumb

I'll have a play the next time we use the van.

Last edited:
This is interesting. I have never looked into the fine detail of what that button does other than to assume it merely turns the ACC function on and off. So you are saying it switches between the ACC and SL functions. If in the SL position with the ACC disengaged, how do you set the speed you wish the SL to regulate to? :thumb

I'll have a play the next time we use the van.
Using the +/- (for 5 mph up/down) and the SET and RES buttons (for increase/decrease in 1 mph) just like when using the ACC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd assume that as cruise you drive to the speed limit required then press Set button.

+- to adjust if not exactly set.

View attachment 72978

As you already know,

Hello Kurienp,
This morning I took Mrs B to work in the Cali. That gave me the opportunity to both give the van a bit of a run and test out the Speed Limiter function.

Unfortunately, unless I've missed something, my T6 doesn't have a SL. Also I can't find any reference to there being an SL fitted to UK T6s. The UK MY 18 T6 brochure makes no mention nor has anything else I've read. The only reference that I can find is on page 154 of the owners manual. See lower image on this Collage.

20210206_101011.jpg

The top image, mentioned on page 150 relates to the MFSW push button functions on the left hand side of a vehicle with the basic cruise control system. The lower image mentioned on page 154, refers to the left hand MFSW cluster of vehicles with ACC. My T6 has ACC so has a cluster similar to the lower image except it dosen't have the bottom right hand Speed Limiter button. Instead it is labelled CNL (cancel) as in the top image. Unless I'm corrected, this is what I believe all UK T6 vehicles with ACC have.

Whilst driving this morning I switched off the ACC using the top right hand button in the lower image and then whilst doing 40mph, pressed the SET button. All that happened was the MFD showed "ACC De-activated". I could still exceed 40mph. I also tried pressing the CNL button to see if that in some way activated a speed limiter function.

So unless I've missed something, my initial statement that T6s don't have a SL function appears to be correct. However I would love someone to prove me wrong as this is a very useful feature. When I owned MB cars I used it all the time in speed restricted roads.

BTW, please don't think I'm implying that you are wrong. You may have a different system on your van. All I can say is that the MFSW controls in the photo in your post #27 are identical to mine. VW seem to have so many different variations in both options a spec across the world and in particular closer to home in Europe, that anything is theoretically possible. Even the owners hand book doesn't accurately reflect what you'll actually find in your particular van and nor could it given the countless spec permutations.

So can I ask, since I seem to have the same set up as you, have I not operated the SL function correctly or is your system in some way different? I have looked at quite a few Oceans and have never seen that button before. :thumb

Last edited:
Hello Kurienp,
This morning I took Mrs B to work in the Cali. That gave me the opportunity to both give the van a bit of a run and test out the Speed Limiter function.

Unfortunately, unless I've missed something, my T6 doesn't have a SL. Also I can't find any reference to there being an SL fitted to UK T6s. The UK MY 18 T6 brochure makes no mention nor has anything else I've read. The only reference that I can find is on page 154 of the owners manual. See lower image on this Collage.

View attachment 73013

The top image, mentioned on page 150 relates to the MFSW push button functions on the left hand side of a vehicle with the basic cruise control system. The lower image mentioned on page 154, refers to the left hand MFSW cluster of vehicles with ACC. My T6 has ACC so has a cluster similar to the lower image except it dosen't have the bottom right hand Speed Limiter button. Instead it is labelled CNL (cancel) as in the top image. Unless I'm corrected, this is what I believe all UK vehicles with ACC have.

Whilst driving this morning I switched off the ACC using the top right hand button in the lower image and then whilst doing 40mph, pressed the SET button. All that happened was the MFD said "ACC De-activated". I could still exceed 40mph. I also tried pressing the CNL button to see if that in some way activated a speed limiter function.

So unless I've missed something, my initial statement that T6s don't have a SL function appears to be correct. However I would love someone to prove me wrong as this is a very useful feature. When I owned MB cars I used it all the time in speed restricted zones.

BTW, please don't think I'm implying that you are wrong. You may have a different system on your van. All I can say is that the MFSW controls in the photo in your post #27 are identical to mine. VW seem to have so many different variations in both options a spec across the world and in particular, closer to home in Europe, that anything is theoretically possible. Even the owners hand book doesn't accurately reflect what you'll actually find in your particular van and nor could it given the countless spec permutations.

So can I ask, since I seem to have the same set up as you, have I not operated the SL function correctly or is your system in some way different? I have looked at quite a few Oceans and have never seen that button before. :thumb
T6 ACC is not a limiter. It does hold a set speed as mentioned in previous comments.
The T6 does not have a dedicated speed limiting function. That was introduced as part of T6.1 package.

Boris - the symbol on the button shown in your manual is exactly the same as the one on the T6.1 steering wheel as post 18 above. & the operation on a T6.1 is exactly as described in your manual.

I think you need that button to have speed limiter.

T6 ACC is not a limiter. It does hold a set speed as mentioned in previous comments.
The T6 does not have a dedicated speed limiting function. That was introduced as part of T6.1 package.
My point exactly.

I'd assume that as cruise you drive to the speed limit required then press Set button.

+- to adjust if not exactly set.

Not quite - you can set it to the limit you want before you get up to that speed.

Boris - the symbol on the button shown in your manual is exactly the same as the one on the T6.1 steering wheel as post 18 above. & the operation on a T6.1 is exactly as described in your manual.

I think you need that button to have speed limiter.
I agree.

My first post was made because there appeared to me to be some confusion as to:

A. What a Speed Limiter actually does as opposed to the ACC and
B. Claims that the previous generation T6 had the SL function.

Whilst I was pretty sure that the T6 didn't, I wasn't 100% certain.

As an aside, it was demonstrated to me recently that modern vehicles can have latent features and capabilities which are not available to the owner of a showroom fresh vehicle. These features can be unlocked/reprogrammed by someone clever with the right technical equipment. Since it is likely that all of the complicated electronic jiggery pokery is probably already present to control the ACC it follows that a SL function may be one such latent feature. Often any given button can have more than one function depending on how its programmed. So could a T6 already have the latent SL capabity? I doubt it but who am I to say?

Also vehicle manufacturers have a habit of changing the spec slightly with subsequent model years so I wasn't that confident that VW hadn't quietly bunged the SL function onto certain T6 models. Having said that my T6 Beach was ordered three weeks before T6 production ceased so that was unlikely.

I would just clarify Boris, what was shown in that video is the ACC - as item 2 on my list.

Press the additional steering wheel button on a T6.1 & you can change from ACC to Speed limiter mode that works exactly the same as the Mercedes system, ie set your maximum speed, it highlights that range on the digital speedo, & that is the maximum speed normal operation of the accelerator will let you go. In this mode the up / down buttons etc change the limit speed in exactly the same way.
I wonder if you can set it to automatically prohibit you exceeding the speed limit, if you have Traffic Sign Recognition switched on? Would save the faff of setting it (which is in itself a potential safety issue).
Might be considered dangerous, but if it disengaged when you floored the accelerator to kick down...?

It doesn't disengage, but you can over-ride the limit by using the kick down function on the DSG.

I would not want it linked to the Traffic sign recognition, its quite often wrong. M1 southbound where the J8 slip road runs parallel always shows on screen as 50mph, but that is the slip road not the main motorway. Does it every time.

Hello Kurienp,

View attachment 73013

The top image, mentioned on page 150 relates to the MFSW push button functions on the left hand side of a vehicle with the basic cruise control system. The lower image mentioned on page 154, refers to the left hand MFSW cluster of vehicles with ACC. My T6 has ACC so has a cluster similar to the lower image except it dosen't have the bottom right hand Speed Limiter button. Instead it is labelled CNL (cancel) as in the top image. Unless I'm corrected, this is what I believe all UK vehicles with ACC have.

Whilst driving this morning I switched off the ACC using the top right hand button in the lower image and then whilst doing 40mph, pressed the SET button. All that happened was the MFD showed "ACC De-activated". I could still exceed 40mph. I also tried pressing the CNL button to see if that in some way activated a speed limiter function.

So unless I've missed something, my initial statement that T6s don't have a SL function appears to be correct. However I would love someone to prove me wrong as this is a very useful feature. When I owned MB cars I used it all the time in speed restricted roads.

BTW, please don't think I'm implying that you are wrong. You may have a different system on your van. All I can say is that the MFSW controls in the photo in your post #27 are identical to mine. VW seem to have so many different variations in both options a spec across the world and in particular, closer to home in Europe, that anything is theoretically possible. Even the owners hand book doesn't accurately reflect what you'll actually find in your particular van and nor could it given the countless spec permutations.

@Borris , @B J G ,

Guys, my bad. It DOES NOT work :( Apologies for the confusion caused. I think I confused it with my Golf where it works.

Sorry about this - will edit my post above so that I do not mislead others who read. :thumb

Now I want to make it work. Let's see how ... VCDS?

Back