Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Back2You trackers

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I know a fair number of Forum members have these trackers and, like me, preferred not to wire them in as they could conceal them more easily without attached wires.
I bought mine in a Black Friday sale and with the Forum discount I got it for around a £100. I was very happy with it for the first year and then the battery life began to slowly decrease. I noticed other people on the Forum having the same problem. I made a couple of calls to the company over the 18 months I'd had it, for resetting it and they were always very helpful, so on Tuesday 27th March I rang and asked if they did exchange batteries. "Yes we do," was the reply "£25" so I posted it off to them mid morning. It arrived back this morning with a new battery in it. 3 days including postage both ways.
The advice to help make the battery last longer is to fit both the aerials onto it, even if they are coiled around the unit even if they don't appear to need it. Just like a mobile, if it can't get a good signal it ups the power to boost the signal & runs the battery down.
The GPS trackers contain a SIM card which enables it to send its location data to you either in the form of a text message containing a google map link or by data to a mapping system that can be viewed on your PC, Tablet or Phone.
The Forum already has a discount of 15% with them, but we hopefully will be able to better this when we speak to them again.

Last edited:
It sounds like a lot of people have bought the magnetic one. Think I will be going for that one. I just wondered if anyone has the camper tracker. Although I’ve read you have to pay £50 the second year so it seems more expensive overall.
Thanks for any comments as I have no experience or knowledge about trackers.
Jo

Last edited:
I'd also be interested to know what the difference between the Camper and Magnetic trackers are?

I'd also be interested to know what the difference between the Camper and Magnetic trackers are?

If you ring them up they will tell you. I can't think of many firms more helpful than this one. Really good advice and instructions on how to use the various facilities on the tracker.

As it is disguised as a vehicle part I very much doubt they will publish the details of it on a website, would defeat the purpose of having a stealth tracker.

Last edited:
Hi, if anyone fitted the camper tracker please could you post some feedback on the ease or otherwise of doing so? Many thanks

Don't know about the camper one sorry but I would expect the same functionality. I have a tk104 which I think this service and the magnetic one is based upon, very good setup and low power with battery backup in case someone disconnects your batteries. I know several members have the Back2You one and speak highly of it. They have mapping software and their own app I believe which makes things a lot simpler.

The commands are sent to the device by text messages which while they aren't massively user friendly by hand are made simpler with an App which does it for you. :) I believe the back2you has map tracking which is a great feature and the subscription includes all data.

Connected permanently to the power they use about 0.1amps per hour so pretty small draw. The battery backup can last anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months from my experience depending on how often you use the vehicle and what settings you have.

Many thanks Matt, I suppose it was the ease or difficulty of wiring it in that concerned me most and whether this outweighed the advantage of the self-contained magnetic version

My magnetic one has an optional wiring loom but it was as simple as connecting positive and negative to 12v. You can also get a simple 12v socket style connector. You could in theory charge it up and leave it without battery until the battery gets low.

I just wired mine in eventually and hid it away.

I fitted the Camper one this morning. Stuck on with a double-sided 3M pad. Works fine, but would be easy for a thief to remove.

Assuming they find it

It's supplied with quite short wires which I attached directly to the battery terminals, so it doesn't really stretch beyond the battery bay. I think any respectable nick-to-order thief who put their head under the bonnet would know what it is.

Perhaps I should have put on cable extensions.

Did you wire it into the vehicle battery?

Yes under bonnet and to the right, is that incorrect or should I have connected up to a leisure battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes under bonnet and to the right, is that incorrect or should I have connected up to a leisure battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you use the vehicle very frequently, like daily, doesn’t matter. If not then might be better using the Leisure Battery.

@MattBW @SimonB Gents, as we have trackers based on the same chipset this is aimed at you primarily.

I noticed on my GiffGaff statement that my tracker is doing small 1mb data transfers twice a day.
Are yours doing this? I was wondering if I have inadvertently enabled something with a setting. Normally I ring it and it texts me back and these show on the account but I cant explain the data usage??

Any ideas?

upload_2018-6-22_9-14-32.png

Not sure if this helps but I’ve only ever be charged 5p when I make a call to it.
These are the last 4.

No 1p ones

89e706713a6a6a70d1590a258b484c5b.jpg

Mike

@MattBW @SimonB Gents, as we have trackers based on the same chipset this is aimed at you primarily.

I noticed on my GiffGaff statement that my tracker is doing small 1mb data transfers twice a day.
Are yours doing this? I was wondering if I have inadvertently enabled something with a setting. Normally I ring it and it texts me back and these show on the account but I cant explain the data usage??

Any ideas?

View attachment 34616

Not noticed it on mine except for the texts. As mine runs on batteries when it was running flat it would Text my phone & Helen's a couple of times before I could get to it & turn it off to recharge.
You haven't got Geofencing set or anything have you? If you call them he can set it back to factory settings remotely.

Any ideas?

View attachment 34616
Mine isn't doing data transfers that I know of, there is a command to enable and disable sms/data andI have disabled data...

The commands are:

sms[password] to change to SMS only mode
gprs[password] to switch to data mode.

e.g. sms123456 gprs123456
Weirdly mine does still send the texts when in data mode (apparently it shouldn't) but not the other way around. I've been on the same £10 tesco triple credit for about 4 months now. ;)

I've used this manual in the past too it gives an insight into many other features it may have
https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/usermanuals/104_Pro_gps_tracker_user_manual.pdf

@MattBW - very useful read, thanks. Am looking to get a tracker and probably attach to the leisure battery in the same way. Have seen your post about a Bluetooth battery monitor as well, and looking to get one as well

How did you actually get to the leisure battery though? I understand it's under the passenger seat - but how do you actually get to it to attach stuff to it?

Thx

Thanks for this Simon, I have spoken to Back2You today and they have given a new offer to the club which is a fixed discount of £90 off the website price:

Camper Tracker Web Price £220 - VIP Price £130
Guardian Magnetic GPS Tracker Web Price £195 - VIP Price £105

To see the discount code please click here:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/back2you-tracker-vip-code.10546/
Hi Martin,

Do you still have discount codes for these trackers? The old link doesn’t work.

Thanks,
Marianna