Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GPS tracker devices

I have had a back 2 you tracker for over a year now and I think it is very good for the money. Like my house alarm, its not "top of the range", but i have the reassurance of knowing that it has not been triggered.

However, I am now finding the the battery only lasts 4-6 weeks and so I am thinking of hard-wiring it in. I have two questions; I don't have much experience with automotive electronics.

1. I guess I should wire it into the leisure battery because that way it will never mean that it will flatten the starter battery. My van is a daily drive, so little risk of running the leisure batteries down.

2. What is the best way to wire it in. I was thinking of connecting the loom provided to the supply for the 12V socket in the kitchen of my Ocean. I don't think I can get the socket out without removing the sink, so I guess the next best thing is to piggy back the + and - wires. Is this the the best method:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=975513

I feel that one has to be rather brave attacking the wires with a knife...

Any comments from those that know about such things?

I have had a back 2 you tracker for over a year now and I think it is very good for the money. Like my house alarm, its not "top of the range", but i have the reassurance of knowing that it has not been triggered.

However, I am now finding the the battery only lasts 4-6 weeks and so I am thinking of hard-wiring it in. I have two questions; I don't have much experience with automotive electronics.

1. I guess I should wire it into the leisure battery because that way it will never mean that it will flatten the starter battery. My van is a daily drive, so little risk of running the leisure batteries down.

2. What is the best way to wire it in. I was thinking of connecting the loom provided to the supply for the 12V socket in the kitchen of my Ocean. I don't think I can get the socket out without removing the sink, so I guess the next best thing is to piggy back the + and - wires. Is this the the best method:

I had the same problem with mine after 18 months to 2 years and I rang up and asked if they offer a replacement battery service. For about £25, I think, they replaced the battery and it now lasts as long as it did in the first place. I prefer it being on a battery as it is easier to hide with no wires to trace. I posted it one day and it was returned a day later.

No wire cutting required
I've just wired mine directly to the posts of the leisure battery using ring terminals that I've cut a small segment out of (leisure batteries terminal clamps bolts are not ment to be removed)
Don't forget online fuses, I used 2amp fuses on both positive and negative wiries

SimonB - thanks for pointing that out. However, I think I will wire it in anyway, as I am always forgetting to check the battery level and it ends up texting me at an inconvenient time!

Taff - good idea; that seems a lot less intrusive. Is a fuse on both live AND earth necessary?

My tracker is hard wired and I can confirm it draws 0.1amps and under when sleeping.

Wire a cigar socket on fly leads to the rear battery then plug in the 12v lead that came with the tracker.

Hi Monica. I had a tracker fitted and it did my insurance cheaper. I just wanted to put everything I could in place to stop my Cali from being stolen!
Hi Claire.
can u remember make, costs and on going costs etc.. any info please?

Saw these posters at the Dyskru’n Agricultual show in Norway on Saturday . Made me smile !

E7B4FCE9-058E-46B7-ABF6-B5A882FA86DE.jpeg CE6A5139-FB31-46E4-B437-394380DEC650.jpeg