Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bath tap starts kitchen tap

Egronnes

Egronnes

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi all! I’ve just got an Exclusive, with everything working smoothly except when I tap water in the bathroom sink, the kitchen tap blows with the same amount of water. It’s ok the other way. Any ideas?

Hi there,

It should only do this if the tap in the bathroom is open, if you have made sure it is fully closed then I assume it might be an issue with the bathroom tap switch. They all run off the same pump so you need to make sure they are fully turned off.

Unless it has modified in some way....
Both taps when opened 'make' a circuit that operates the water pump. The point of opening at which that circuit is made, and the point where the tap is physically open, differs with age and wear.
I suspect your kitchen tap isn't (or can't be) physically closed.

Thank you! There are not a huge lot of replacements for sale. Would you happen to know if this is an issue worth fixing (if possible)?

Have you confirmed that bathroom tap is fully closed? I'm sure it's fixable if not.

Well, it's not, since it runs water. It's the kitchen tap that's the fault one. Should I look in the tap battery itself, or is the closing further down the system?

The closing is at the tap. It's a physical thing that may respond to disassembly and a fiddle, but you may bugger the electronics in it whilst doing so. If it 'leaks' a lot when the bathroom tap is open, then you need a solution so perhaps nothing lost by having a fiddle.
However if it doesn't leak too much, then consider leaving it, as the leaked water will be safely dealt with into the kitchen sink (unlike the other reversed scenario where your bathroom tap would be leaking into your closed bathroom sink, and rotting the floor.

Thanks for your replies. The tap in blowing full power, so I recon it's ready for replacement. I'll do a little window shopping and see what I can find. Fiddling could easily be a holliday ruined, as I've got four days to get it done.

Thanks for your replies. The tap in blowing full power, so I recon it's ready for replacement. I'll do a little window shopping and see what I can find. Fiddling could easily be a holliday ruined, as I've got four days to get it done.
I presume your tap is Part 6 on the following diagram.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/390000/part_id/3707635/lang/e

By the looks of it, if you have to replace it and cannot find a original replacement, then the current VW tap will likely fit and certainly work as your original did.

What happens when you flush the loo? I'm assuming the same happens?

Haven’t got the cassette for it yet so the loo is sort of strange land so far, but thanks for mentioning that. I will take a look at it.

Does it still have the original Westfalia taps? If so it's worn plates on the twisty switch thing.

I replaced mine with Reich Deluxe taps and it's all fine now.