Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Kitchen and Storage Pods

Owen,

Both your measurements are within 1cm of mine. The back of the cabinet would slope forward at the same angle as the back of the drivers seat from a height of 43cm, which is the same as the seat/bed height. It needs to overhang the bed unit by 18-19cm to accommodate the depth of the SMEV unit. Not a problem for the wife and I as we're not tall and all the weight will be in the base of the unit.

Got a quote for all the bits, I'll source gas fittings in NZ as they use companion valve (3/8 BSP LH and you can't get Gaz 907 there):

Smev 8821 R/H sink - £165
2 x (4 x 4) sheet furniture board - £125

2 x water hose
2 x waste hose
2 x 8mm copper gas pipe
Submersible 12v pump
Gas bottle holder
8mm compression joint - £35

D.G. T-trim x 10m - £10
D.G. Door trim x 5m - £10
3 sets of cranked hinges - £12
3 sets of door latches - £14.25
2 x 12l water containers - £25

Total £396.25 - less 5% discount
Total £376.45 + £15 delivery
Total £391.45

I have also bought the VW clamps for the rail at about £10 each.

I'll start with an 8mm or 12mm thick piece of mdf to make the first one (templates).

Andy

Andy,
glad we agree on measurements :clap Its difficult to come up with a good reference point in a lot of the measurements. Hence the benefit in the mdf templates. If you can I would go with 12mm mdf, makes a more stable mock up and easier to get screws to hold.
Have you looked at edgebanding rather than T trim? Prob a bit more expensive but gives a good finish. The place I used to do mine is quite close to you. Called C Workshop off Hanger Lane. Taking some more bits to them to edge myself this week.
Owen

I'm just buying all the bits to ship off to NZ with my Cali next week; its a project for when I get there as everything is more expensive out there. I'll pack the router and a few tools to keep me busy until rest of family join me :smile

I've also bought the bits to make the lock down board for the Waeco fridge - see earlier post. Hopefully I may have enough Vohringer board leftover to make that or it will remain as MDF until another piece arrives!

Andy

Has anyone considered a donor VW California kitchen for their beach? Always one or two on ebay at any given time.

I fitted one in our old T5 camper conversion and it was fantastic.

The rear cupboard section could be sacrificed leaving just the cooker, fridge and two cupboards below. The aluminium rail on the bottom could be modified to fit into the seat rails.

Worth considering, especially as it uses light weight materials.

Andrew.

This may be of interest to a beach owner, who is considering a pod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-Califor ... 20e0eb60ad

I fitted one to my old T5 conversion from this seller and it was fantastic, everything an SE has except fresh water tank, we just used a removable one in one of the cupboards.

Andrew.

I think the idea is to make use of the rail system and some of the functionality that storage pod can offer - almost like some of the features on T2 campers - like pull out grills and cupboards.

Ajspicer said:
This may be of interest to a beach owner, who is considering a pod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-Califor ... 20e0eb60ad

I fitted one to my old T5 conversion from this seller and it was fantastic, everything an SE has except fresh water tank, we just used a removable one in one of the cupboards.

Andrew.

Must admit re-using a full Cali unit didn't even cross my mind when I was going through the options. With the coolbox & sink/cooker the price is reasonable as well. Sure that could be easily adapted to secure to the floor rails. What would take a bit of work / consideration is what to do about the back of the unit and either make it fit round the side trim of the Beach or remove/cut the trim off. First option would probably reduce the storage space in the units but 2nd would mean it becomes a permanent fixture in the van.
My other concern would be to do with the gas bottle, best practice for conversions using a separate bottle seems to be a dedicated sealed locker with a drop out vent to the outside of the vehicle. Having once opened the door to a friends T25 to be greeted by the smell of Gas and an empty bottle gas is one thing that I'm very wary off.

James,

I was talking hypothetically about the full Cali interior. I’ve made my pod already to give me the balance between Beach flexibility and camper comforts that best suits my needs. Do agree that anyone going down the pod / conversion route does need to decide early on if they are looking to get something permanent or fully removable.
Getting a Beach at least the 2 seater bench version with the intention of ending up with a full camper would in my opinion be a valid option however. Most conversions start with a basic panel van and to add just the elevating roof & sliding seat at the same quality level as a Beach would be looking at around £7 to £8k. You would still need to get windows (probably on a barn door), seat swivels (often for twin passenger seat )curtains /blinds / leisure battery etc before you got up to std Beach spec. With a Beach you then get the intangibles such as proper trim rather than stuck on carpet, noise suppression in the cab different upholstery etc.
People keep quoting prices north of £40k for an SE Cali on here so even if you doubled the price of that Cali interior on ebay the complete package would come in way under that. I’m not saying it would be the same vehicle but given the choice of a full conversion on a Beach or full conversion on a panel van I know which I would prefer.
This is all going a bit off topic from the original thread title though which is about pods.

There has been a lot of discussions regarding the maxxcamp modules lately...

I just wanted to post that my maxxcamp vario module max http://maxxcamp.de/en/modules/variomodule-max/index.php for my 2 seater uk beach arrived this week and I am absolutely over the moon! The quality is fantastic! Will post photos later.

Big big,, :thanks to Martin at Maxxcamp whom I have been in correspondance with since before I bought the van last June ( I had to be sure I had the option of a suitable kitchen before deciding which type of Cali to buy). I decided the 2 seat bench was best for me.

Going to Spain next week so I can test it out and report back on its functionality after easter. Happy to help answer any queries if I can.

I also ordered 230v electric hookup, ctek charger, module based electric pack Plus water system. Auto electrician connected everything in around 2 hours! Its literally plug n play. :cool

michellewilliams10 said:

I just wanted to post that my maxxcamp vario module for my 2 seater uk beach arrived this week and I am absolutely over the moon! The quality is fantastic! Will post photos later.

Big big,, :thanks to Martin at Maxxcamp whom I have been in correspondance with since before I bought the van last June ( I had to be sure I had the option of a suitable kitchen before deciding which type of Cali to buy). I decided the 2 seat bench was best for me.

Going to Spain next week so I can test it out and report back on its functionality after easter. Happy to help answer any queries if I can.

I also ordered 230v electric hookup, ctek charger, module based electric pack Plus water system. Auto electrician connected everything in around 2 hours! Its literally plug n play. :cool

Really keen to see the photos from this

James

michellewilliams10 said:

I just wanted to post that my maxxcamp vario module for my 2 seater uk beach arrived this week and I am absolutely over the moon! The quality is fantastic! Will post photos later.

Michelle,

I'd be really interested in how well it works out. Especially turning the compact module through 90 degrees as suggested on the site http://maxxcamp.de/en/modules/variomodule-compact/index.php as I can't see how the bed can be extended in the 2 seater bench version, but would work in the three seater.

Also can you take it out easily and put it in an awning or leave it at home to give more space in the van.

Andy

owen_h said:
James,

I was talking hypothetically about the full Cali interior. I’ve made my pod already to give me the balance between Beach flexibility and camper comforts that best suits my needs. Do agree that anyone going down the pod / conversion route does need to decide early on if they are looking to get something permanent or fully removable.
Getting a Beach at least the 2 seater bench version with the intention of ending up with a full camper would in my opinion be a valid option however. Most conversions start with a basic panel van and to add just the elevating roof & sliding seat at the same quality level as a Beach would be looking at around £7 to £8k. You would still need to get windows (probably on a barn door), seat swivels (often for twin passenger seat )curtains /blinds / leisure battery etc before you got up to std Beach spec. With a Beach you then get the intangibles such as proper trim rather than stuck on carpet, noise suppression in the cab different upholstery etc.
People keep quoting prices north of £40k for an SE Cali on here so even if you doubled the price of that Cali interior on ebay the complete package would come in way under that. I’m not saying it would be the same vehicle but given the choice of a full conversion on a Beach or full conversion on a panel van I know which I would prefer.
This is all going a bit off topic from the original thread title though which is about pods.

I think adding any pods is a genius really, I don't want a full Cali, and one thing I have found with the Beach is the sheer practicality of the vehicle for day to day use.

Being able to put pods and units back in to use it as a camper when required, that to me makes it the perfect vehicles, you've got the best of both worlds.

Before my Beach i look t Vells and Kombis and considered conversions but I have always like VW Multivans and there was no question that the Beach was perfect for us.

I will be really interested to see how you get on with the pod and using it

James

Would really like the kitchen pod but my god the price really puts me off :(

Goldie said:
michellewilliams10 said:

Michelle,

I'd be really interested in how well it works out. Especially turning the compact module through 90 degrees as suggested on the site http://maxxcamp.de/en/modules/variomodule-compact/index.php as I can't see how the bed can be extended in the 2 seater bench version, but would work in the three seater.

Also can you take it out easily and put it in an awning or leave it at home to give more space in the van.

Andy

Photos as promised ...

Hi Andy, we ordered the variomodule max ( not the compact) but as far as I can see its only the fridge addition thats surplus. This module does not pivot around. It toggles into the rail system and pretty much stays there all summer.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks really good :clap (even the upside down Australian versions :crazy ). That was the version I took most inspiration from in designing mine.

owen_h said:
Looks really good :clap (even the upside down Australian versions :crazy ). That was the version I took most inspiration from in designing mine.

Funny that everything is the the right way up on my iPad and upside down on my PC.

Photos as promised ...

Hi Andy, we ordered the variomodule max ( not the compact) but as far as I can see its only the fridge addition thats surplus. This module does not pivot around. It toggles into the rail system and pretty much stays there all summer.

Michelle,

It all looks really good and top quality stuff. Can you access the space below the fridge from below or the boot; it looks like it would be a good space to store the awning.

Moving to NZ I didn't have time to sort everything out before leaving UK and decided I would make a pod to sit behind the drivers seat - I have bought all the kit. Looking at what you and Owen have posted I may make two prototypes in MDF and decide on the best option before manufacturing final build. Main thing out here is to get the unit certified for self-containment (see my other posts).

With only two of us it may just be better to accept smaller bed and sleep upstairs, have a side pod like yours and leave downstairs in kitchen/diner mode. Although to be honest I don intend cooking in the Cali and will bar-b-q outside or eat out.

Andy

Hi Andy, yes JUST! though. There is a sliding door below the fridge accessible from the front (just enough to get your hand comfortably through to grab some stuff) - but a handy space all the same.

It is possible to increase the access into this space if you shorten or buy a shortened multiflex board. Maxxcamp sell a shortened multiflex board should you also purchase their wardrobe. I reckon this would give you at least another 300mm in the front cabin.

One area where I feel Maxxcamp have missed a trick is the positioning of the fridge. The waeco cf35 (as shown) sits almost flush with to tops of the kitchen module. I think it would be better raised up to provide another storage area/shelf below. Now that would finish it off for me as I would use that area as a larder.

Saw some of your photos Owen did of his pod. In fact they inspired me at the time of posting. I said to my husband "perhaps I should build my own"? To which he replied "Dont bother your business"! ! Which was a poinant time to suggest a Maxxcamp! So thanks Owen :thanks

Lookng forward to seeing the end result

greendog said:
Hi Guys,were thinking of developing a unit for such a situation, it would have a small sink with a combi shower tap, portable hob, draw, and 18 liter compressor cool box. is this the sort of thing your after? I've done a few basic drawings to check what i can fit in here:

Any thoughts or comments are welcome .

Jon

Screen-Shot-2014-02-09-at-10.54.54-300x271.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-02-09-at-10.55.52-300x263.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-02-09-at-10.56.12-300x281.jpg

Jon, any more updates on this pod?

michellewilliams10 said:
Hi Andy, yes JUST! though. There is a sliding door below the fridge accessible from the front (just enough to get your hand comfortably through to grab some stuff) - but a handy space all the same.

It is possible to increase the access into this space if you shorten or buy a shortened multiflex board. Maxxcamp sell a shortened multiflex board should you also purchase their wardrobe. I reckon this would give you at least another 300mm in the front cabin.

One area where I feel Maxxcamp have missed a trick is the positioning of the fridge. The waeco cf35 (as shown) sits almost flush with to tops of the kitchen module. I think it would be better raised up to provide another storage area/shelf below. Now that would finish it off for me as I would use that area as a larder.

Saw some of your photos Owen did of his pod. In fact they inspired me at the time of posting. I said to my husband "perhaps I should build my own"? To which he replied "Dont bother your business"! ! Which was a poinant time to suggest a Maxxcamp! So thanks Owen :thanks

Glad to be of use :D :D

The area under the coolbox is a bit hard to get at with mine as well. Ive put the electrics there along with stuff I dont need to access much. Did try and fit the water tank there but couldnt come up with a workable solution.

Raising the fridge up might cause problems with the lid fouling on the pillar between the side windows. Mine only just clears this pillar when you open it.

owen_h said:
michellewilliams10 said:

Glad to be of use :D :D

The area under the coolbox is a bit hard to get at with mine as well. Ive put the electrics there along with stuff I dont need to access much. Did try and fit the water tank there but couldnt come up with a workable solution.

Raising the fridge up might cause problems with the lid fouling on the pillar between the side windows. Mine only just clears this pillar when you open it.

I was thinking that if you left the bottom of the the left hand side of the fridge unit open you could slide the awning and groundsheet in there from the boot. It would be out the way when travelling and leave the rest of the boot clear.

Andy

Nice find, the Sortima are like gold dust in the UK.

danny13 said:
Nice find, the Sortima are like gold dust in the UK.

I tried to get one for our Caravelle a few years ago and gave up looking in the end. Still, 3 children & a beach purchase later, the Reimo pantry suits us better now as we need all the space we can get!

I like to keep it simple and also gives me the option of placing in awning should I use it.
I took 2" off the width and height of both units by shortening the aluminium surround. Theres room around the drawers in the unit so no effect on storage.
This allows the bed to be used as normal.

[album]1661[/album] [album]1663[/album] [album]1660[/album] [album]1662[/album]

Back