Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Kitchen and Storage Pods

Bigbud said:
Also

http://tranzwagon.co.uk/vw-california-b ... ervan-pod/

Very similar to Owen's, no doubt they copied :crazy

Yes I'm hoping to do a mdf mock up soon so I'm looking again :lol:

I should have copyrighted mine :lol: Looks like they have gone for a built in sink at the expense of a smaller cool box. wonder how the fresh and waste water tanks are accessed. No blue lines to pick up on the Beach upholstery either so lose a few points there :lol:

Come on Bigbud, time to get the mockup done. I've had my heater fitted now. (hence why we are in a heatwave :upsidedown )

Mostly 12mm MDF for the mockup with some 9mm when I ran out of 12.
12mm is much easier to fix the knock down joints in, with the thinner stuff the screws poke through unless packed out.
Real thing was of course 15mm.
Worth spending a bit of time getting the base at the same height as it will be when made in 15mm. All your vertical panels will be measured and shaped off this base plate. I didn't do this and had to remember to add a few mm to all my templates.

where did you get your hinges and struts ect ?

I stumbled across this swiss army kitchen box which has given me some ideas, we have a dog so at the moment his box will be in the back with the fridge in the front - but I like the idea of being able to lift this out at the stopover site.

army kitchen.jpg

Italiahorse said:
I like to keep it simple and also gives me the option of placing in awning should I use it.
I took 2" off the width and height of both units by shortening the aluminium surround. Theres room around the drawers in the unit so no effect on storage.
This allows the bed to be used as normal.

[album]1661[/album] [album]1663[/album] [album]1660[/album] [album]1662[/album]

Ciao ItaliaHorse... where can I get these in Italy or online, any idea? thanks...

Stefano

choplee said:
Bigbud said:
more idea's

inbouw_beach_2.JPG

inbouw_beach_1.JPG

some great ideas on this one fella :thumb :thumb :thumb

Funny to find my pictures here while looking at the internet , this is one of our California's , stolen in september 2013, we are still looking :evil:

Gr,
Peter

Goldie said:
The VW quickfit bolts are bout ÂŁ10 each and there is a part number on here somewhere. If someone wants them I'll dig them out.

I would be interested in that part number. I can't find them anywhere on the web. TIA!

Romke said:
Goldie said:
The VW quickfit bolts are bout ÂŁ10 each and there is a part number on here somewhere. If someone wants them I'll dig them out.

I would be interested in that part number. I can't find them anywhere on the web. TIA!

Plastic bit is 7E8-885-749. Sits on the rail.

Metal Part 7H5-885-297

Andy

Anyone has experience with this one?
http://www.california-camping.de/t5-cal ... modul.html

I really like it. Especially the shape behind the drivers seat. It's for driver on the left side, but that's what I need.

I believe it must be compatible with the 7 seater beach, and then for every trip you can choose between 5 or 6 seats + pod or 7 seats without pod.

Long time coming xD

I basically I had never lifted a chisel or a saw in 20 years so I was staring from scratch, I opted for plywood as it was supposed to be a template/temporary unit for the year to see how we got on and if we liked it I would build in the normal board the fitters use.

If you make your own, use the proper board :headbang honestly the plywood has been a mare with it twisting. Not helped by doing it in a garage over winter im sure lol

I discussed the unit with owen_h loads and I've basically ripped his design Haha although I have mounted a combi unit in the top. Its not finished yet. Hopefully all installed in the next two weeks and I still need to do some work on the doors as plywood changes shape a lot in the winter and after varnishing lol (PITA !!!)

2015-03-08%2021.53.24.jpg

2015-03-08%2021.54.06.jpg

looking good :thumb
Very welcome for anyone to take inspiration from mine. That was an amalgamation of other peoples (and the full Cali) ideas.
Getting the doors to open smoothly and not rattle took a while on mine as well.

looking good :thumb
Very welcome for anyone to take inspiration from mine. That was an amalgamation of other peoples (and the full Cali) ideas.
Getting the doors to open smoothly and not rattle took a while on mine as well.

Not used the doors yet xD Most likely loads of tinkering to do when its in.

To convert my 7 seat California Beach 4 MOTION into a camper, I bought an IKEA Alex, shortened some of the drawers and installed a sink and water supply system. Quite happy with the result, for just EUR 200 in components.
imag0239.jpg

imag0240.jpg

imag0242.jpg

imag0245.jpg

imag0250.jpg

imag0280.jpg

imag0281.jpg

imag0283.jpg

imag0286.jpg

How do you guys fix the pod to the floor? Are they safe in the event of an accident?

How do you guys fix the pod to the floor? Are they safe in the event of an accident?
My pod is still an MDF prototype but I used the same T-bolts that are used for the multi-flex board. The bolt and plastic part are separate part numbers and I've posted them on the forum.

Andy

Last edited:
Like Goldie I use the VW ones. Got them from SMG with a forum discount. Part numbers are around on the forum somewhere but I will try and post them again if needed.
The fixings will be safe in an accident. How much stress the pods will take is an unknown depending on how well it's been constructed. Should be better than loose luggage / pots / cutlery though.

Good point the T-bolts. I guess it cold be also good idea to fix sokehow the watertanks.

Agree with you owen_h, a van can accumulate a lot of things that can be dangerous when flying.

Back