Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach lower bed advice/opinions

The biggie for me was how hard the vw comfort mattress was - looking at alternatives for that for a better nights sleep!
Be sure you have the correct side up: one side goes face down and is firm and contoured to smooth out the seats, and the other side goes up and is softer and flat to sleep on.

Had an se pre children which was ace. Then a 2seat beach - found the box a bit annoying but loved the rear bench drawer and bed because it’s so flat and low. Now have a 3 seat beach which is the best for us with 4 and 2 yo boys. I’m 6’4 and large and bed is ok. Something will always have to be compromise imo but 3 seats, more floor space (no box) and higher Multiflex wins for me

Also nice not having 2 little boys right next to each other in the 2 seater and being able to sit with them if necessary

Be sure you have the correct side up: one side goes face down and is firm and contoured to smooth out the seats, and the other side goes up and is softer and flat to sleep on.
Ah! Thank you, will take a look! Such a newbie

Hi all

We're looking at different options for a 2nd hand Cali for our family (2 adults 2 kids) and a beach ticks a lot of boxes.. it will be our only vehicle and we'd get a kitchen pod for the times when we'd like to cook inside.
Originally we were thinking a 2 seat beach is the way to go, as the bed is lower and more comfortable, storage box useful etc - but they are hard to find (!) So we could well go for a 3 seat.

Just wanted to know what people think of the lower bed in the 3 seat - have tried to find answers to the below but not getting very far, so any help much appreciated :)

Is the lack of headroom on 3 seat bench when in 'bed' mode a big deal for anyone ? We would always be camping with the kids sleeping in roof so upper bed will be down. So am assuming not being able to sit up in bed and having to crawl out in the morning etc could be a pain.. especially if the comfort matress is fitted as it's even higher then. Does anyone find this a problem / wish they'd gone for 2 seat beach instead ?

What's the length of the 3 seat bed (without extra middle seats etc - just the bed and multiflex) ? We (adults) would be sleeping on lower bed and are both 6ft. I think the 2 seat has a longer bed but again can't find this info anywhere to compare the two.

Thanks very much for any words of wisdom..
Hi, we have a 3 seat beach and I sleep in it very comfortably and I'm 6 foot 5. My feel dangle about an inch over the end but not a problem and I've never found a problem with lack of headroom. We use duvaleys to make the bed more comfortable.

Thoroughly recommend the Exped Megamat Duo downstairs on the 3-seater. Down filled, 10cm thick, super high quality and it is supremely comfortable -and a brilliant camping mat. It overhangs lengthwise slightly but fits perfectly widthwise.

We use the VW comfort madras for four years now. For this season we have completed it with a 160x200 Ikea topper. Works really well. The best thing with the vw madras is that it makes the bed completely flat which it wont if we where to use only an inflatable one.

We had our first night with the IKEA topper on the VW comfort mat. Much better, although there is now so much bedding to take.
The kids have sleeping bags, we were using a duvet. Need to find something better for us that we can stuff into a sack

We now use the VW comfort mattress with the Ikea topper and superkingsize Siberian goose down duvet. The boys sleep upstairs with a kingsize down duvet.

We are used to memory foam at home but I find the 3 seat Bench with the VW comfort mattress to be very comfortable, no bad back at all and it's nicely flat.

Made my own bad to store the mattress in so it's easier to carry in and out of the house and it sits nicely on the multiplex board when travelling.

Back