Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach lower bed advice/opinions

V

Vandergraff

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all

We're looking at different options for a 2nd hand Cali for our family (2 adults 2 kids) and a beach ticks a lot of boxes.. it will be our only vehicle and we'd get a kitchen pod for the times when we'd like to cook inside.
Originally we were thinking a 2 seat beach is the way to go, as the bed is lower and more comfortable, storage box useful etc - but they are hard to find (!) So we could well go for a 3 seat.

Just wanted to know what people think of the lower bed in the 3 seat - have tried to find answers to the below but not getting very far, so any help much appreciated :)

Is the lack of headroom on 3 seat bench when in 'bed' mode a big deal for anyone ? We would always be camping with the kids sleeping in roof so upper bed will be down. So am assuming not being able to sit up in bed and having to crawl out in the morning etc could be a pain.. especially if the comfort matress is fitted as it's even higher then. Does anyone find this a problem / wish they'd gone for 2 seat beach instead ?

What's the length of the 3 seat bed (without extra middle seats etc - just the bed and multiflex) ? We (adults) would be sleeping on lower bed and are both 6ft. I think the 2 seat has a longer bed but again can't find this info anywhere to compare the two.

Thanks very much for any words of wisdom..

3 Seat Beach is great and works for us.

Bed is raised but upside is that it gives you more space under to MFB at the back + works especially well with a slide out bot drawer. The MFB on the 3 seat has more flexibility versus the 2 seat MFB as you can fold the front / back sections away if you want to slide the bench right back. We have never had an issue with Headroom. 3 seat allows you to to seat 3 (or 5 with additional seats fitted ) in the back,. I'm 5'11'' and length of the bed is fine.

We used to have a three seat bench Beach. The bed is wider and it's easy enough to get out of when the roof is down (or the bed is being used), we're both 6ft 2 and slept no problem in it. The bed mechanism is slightly different to the two seat, you've got to pull the headrests out and the seat converts by going up and out rather than folding straight down. It is all doable when you're in the van (say if it's raining) but takes some moving around.

We never had a Kitchen Pod, though we looked in to it, you take up the last of your floor space with it as the bench runs the length of the van, but again with a bit of people moving you can work around it.

In all honesty, it was never enough to stop us going out and using it, and you've got a more versatile all round vehicle. Best thing to do is go and have a play with one, and see how it works for you.

We also use our Cali as our only vehicle, three seat does give you more car like passenger carrying (but with a lot more space)

Good luck though, it is honestly the best thing we've ever done, three seat or two seat you'll have a lot of fun.

3 Seat Beach is great and works for us.

Bed is raised but upside is that it gives you more space under to MFB at the back + works especially well with a slide out bot drawer. The MFB on the 3 seat has more flexibility versus the 2 seat MFB as you can fold the front / back sections away if you want to slide the bench right back. We have never had an issue with Headroom. 3 seat allows you to to seat 3 (or 5 with additional seats fitted ) in the back,. I'm 5'11'' and length of the bed is fine.

Thanks for the reply - so do you sleep with the roof down / upper bed down, and have the comfort matress too?
Hard to tell from pics online but it looks like a tiny amount of room between bed and roof - I guess it's just something you get used to tho. Do you have kids ? interested to know how family friendly it is in a beach..

I'm 6'3 - not much taller than you so probably ok, but be good to find measurement of the bed somehow to be sure.. I wouldn't want to be carrying the extra two middle seats every time we go camping !

So am assuming not being able to sit up in bed and having to crawl out in the morning etc could be a pain.. especially if the comfort matress is fitted as it's even higher then. Does anyone find this a problem / wish they'd gone for 2 seat beach instead ?

What's the length of the 3 seat bed (without extra middle seats etc - just the bed and multiflex) ? We (adults) would be sleeping on lower bed and are both 6ft. I think the 2 seat has a longer bed but again can't find this info anywhere to compare the two.
With the upper bed down you can't sit up, which we found very uncomfortable (but we're OAPs). The same applies if you don't have sleepers upstairs and want/need to sleep with the roof down.

The bed length is the same between the two versions. I'm your height and we've had a Beach and now have a Coast.

I'd go for the two-seater which gives you a lot of extra storage.

We used to have a three seat bench Beach. The bed is wider and it's easy enough to get out of when the roof is down (or the bed is being used), we're both 6ft 2 and slept no problem in it. The bed mechanism is slightly different to the two seat, you've got to pull the headrests out and the seat converts by going up and out rather than folding straight down. It is all doable when you're in the van (say if it's raining) but takes some moving around.

We never had a Kitchen Pod, though we looked in to it, you take up the last of your floor space with it as the bench runs the length of the van, but again with a bit of people moving you can work around it.

In all honesty, it was never enough to stop us going out and using it, and you've got a more versatile all round vehicle. Best thing to do is go and have a play with one, and see how it works for you.

We also use our Cali as our only vehicle, three seat does give you more car like passenger carrying (but with a lot more space)

Good luck though, it is honestly the best thing we've ever done, three seat or two seat you'll have a lot of fun.
Brilliant thanks for the reply - great to get such quick responses from people on here ! And words of encouragement - although we're looking 2nd hand and budget not huge it's a lot of money to us so want to get it right. Finding a beach for sale nearby is proving impossible so before I make a long journey to see one info like this is really helpful.
So you had the standard length bed (no middle seats folded down etc) - and did you use the comfort matress / any kind of topper or did you find the bed manageable as it is ?

Brilliant thanks for the reply - great to get such quick responses from people on here ! And words of encouragement - although we're looking 2nd hand and budget not huge it's a lot of money to us so want to get it right. Finding a beach for sale nearby is proving impossible so before I make a long journey to see one info like this is really helpful.
So you had the standard length bed (no middle seats folded down etc) - and did you use the comfort matress / any kind of topper or did you find the bed manageable as it is ?

Yeah I totally get that, they're a big investment and I don't think there's anyone here who hasn't agonised over what to get and what would work for them, I know we did.

Yeah we just had the standard three seat, no additional seats, and it was long enough for us to sleep in. We did have a self inflating mattress we used to mess about with but that was a pain, so we would just sleep on the seats as they were. Mattress toppers can always be added after, so try it out and see what you think, but for us it was comfortable enough, and with the two seat we don't bother with one.

Here is a good video that shows the differences between the 2 and 3 seat versions.

We went for the 2 seat option beacuse of the flatter lower bed, storage cupboard and single large storage drawer. But there’s only 3 of us so our circumstances are different.

I have a 3-seat Beach. We have the 2 kids in the upstairs bed and I'm 6'1" and can just about manage length wise on the downstairs bed sleeping with feet to tailgate, though I tend to lose the pillows! Never noticed a particular problem with headroom.
It is a pretty uncomfortable bed without any sort of topper. We've tried a normal memory foam topper (not a Beach specific VW/Brandrup/Comfortz one) which was an improvement but eats up a lot of storage space when packed up. More recently we've used self inflating mattresses. The ones we've got are a bit thin and we're going to try something a bit thicker on our next trip.
As a versatile vehicle though it can't be beaten!!!

Hi all

We're looking at different options for a 2nd hand Cali for our family (2 adults 2 kids) and a beach ticks a lot of boxes.. it will be our only vehicle and we'd get a kitchen pod for the times when we'd like to cook inside.
Originally we were thinking a 2 seat beach is the way to go, as the bed is lower and more comfortable, storage box useful etc - but they are hard to find (!) So we could well go for a 3 seat.

Just wanted to know what people think of the lower bed in the 3 seat - have tried to find answers to the below but not getting very far, so any help much appreciated :)

Is the lack of headroom on 3 seat bench when in 'bed' mode a big deal for anyone ? We would always be camping with the kids sleeping in roof so upper bed will be down. So am assuming not being able to sit up in bed and having to crawl out in the morning etc could be a pain.. especially if the comfort matress is fitted as it's even higher then. Does anyone find this a problem / wish they'd gone for 2 seat beach instead ?

Put simply, both versions are great however as it's going to be your only family vehicle it's flexibility you should be looking for. Therefore I'd advise you to go for the three seater rear bench version which has that in spades.. The bed is fine providing you have the optional VW comfort mattress to compensate for the undulations in the bench seat. The rear bench is from the Caravelle and is primarily designed to sit on. The bed is higher so there will be less headroom and I believe it's slightly shorter than the two seater version. I must say though that we've never found these issues to be a problem. Being higher you have the advantage of greater space and therefore more flexibilty beneath the "flexiboard" in the boot. Unlike the rigid version in the two seat Beach, it can be hinged up and/or reduced in length. You say you have two kids so if you bought a three seat bench version you could in theory, transport some of their friends or grandparents etc .

For the sake of the loss of a bit of headroom you gain so much more flexibility.

As a family of four (boys aged 2 and 3 at departure), we spent a full year touring and living in our Beach with the three seat bench.

I am a large man, 6' tall and heavy build. Mostly I slept upstairs with the elder of our two boys, but I have slept downstairs sufficiently often. I sleep head to the rear and getting up in the morning (or middle of the night to pee) involves sliding out feet first as sitting up isn't really possible. I don't find it a particular problem, but an occasional annoyance.

The bed is about 185cm long, a little on the short side, but as it is 150 wide, plenty wide enough to curl up a little shorter.

If you do choose a 3 seat bench Beach, I suggest you hold off on the kitchen pod purchase until you have used the van a few times to get a measure of how you will be using it and what works for you. We set up a kitchen area in a driveaway awning and that works for us. It took us 18 months of intensive use for me to work out our optimal setup. It's all so easy now.

Three seater Beach allows for a Slidepod kitchen unit to be fitted in the rear, not sure that's possible with the two seater?

We have a three seater bench and agree with previous posts. I’m 5’11 and can sit in the ends of the bed when made up and out my socks on with a slight stoop (and kids using the upper bed). I’d like a bit more headroom but we wanted the option to put the middle seats in and carry up to 7. So as others have said, that’s the rub for the flexibility! Always a compromise with these vans either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually not true. In the 2-seater the storage unit becomes part of the bed. In both cases the bed takes the full interior width of the van.
That's a good point, I forgot about the storage bin... I was thinking of it in the same way as the Ocean / Coast.

Personally I wouldn’t get too caught up in the whole, sitting up in bed arguments, how many times do you sit bolt upright when you’re in you’re own bed ?

You’ve got two choices with a beach, space under or space over the multiflex, the two seater offers the option of four passengers, the three seater up to seven.

No answer, that another person provides may be right for you, as said in previous posts, it’s about compromise and how you will use the van.

How much time will you spend sitting bolt upright in bed and will this affect your enjoyment of your camping experience vs flexibility at other times?

The argument and counter argument of two seater / three seater is some what irrelevant, as you’ll most only get respons s from people who have chosen one over the other ( same as Ocean vs Beach debate)
only you know your circumstances and how you intend to use the vehicle, you have to decide based on how you will use / perceive you will use the van.
If you sit bolt upright in bed regularly then go for a two seat version, if you want more seating flexibility go for a three seat version.
Both are great vans that offer a multitude of possibilities.

In real terms you won’t appreciate the differences / compromises of each until you have owned and used both !

Hi @Perfectos - have you owned both? ;)
Haha no but I’ve had a good look at yours !

I could be happy with either, but I chose a three seater for the additional seating arrangement and I’m more than happy that it fits my needs as I’m sure you are with your two seater ;)

Edit; 7 seater

Hi all

The Beach is a great vehicle, there are a number of active members with a rear 3 seater on the forum who will give you good advice.
We have the 2 seater which is brilliant, very few about when we were looking, it took us ages to find one with the spec & colour we wanted. Good luck.

Hi all

We have a 3 seat bench and 2 kids who sleep up top. Bed is great and the same size as a proper king size ish bed. We put a memory foam topper on it from dunelm mill - a little bulky but it takes the hard lumps out. We love our van.
The 2 seat is a good idea - I can imagine filling the box with all sorts of stuff but the the 3 seat is much more family practical. Headroom is no problem unless that sort of thing irks you. Good luck! Go try it out

Another idea for you ...
I removed the 2-seater bed, storage box and board into storage. Replaced with diy folding bed base and sponge mattressing. Bed is now king size and very flat when opened.
Also provides a curious settee at home with safety belts for those who have partied too well ...

Hi all

Just quickly, we have a Beach now and had a T5 van before it for many years with effectively the same seating (rails and a brilliant bench seat that folds down to become most of a double bed). The old van didn't have a popup roof. Back then we didn't want one. Sleeping in the van was great. Never felt overly claustrophobic.

I have a 3 seat bench and 2 extra seats for max 7, and am 6', 78 kilos. About half the time there are two of us (we are leaving shortly for 6 weeks in Norway). We remove the second row, sleep upstairs, no comfort mattress downstairs, because we like having a living room with a couch and table downstairs and a separate bedroom upstairs (bed gets raised to the roof when we are both up.) If the weather gets wild, we lower the roof and use the upstairs mattress downstairs. That only happens with high wind; our T5.1 bellows doesn't let water in. We never use a topper. In bad weather we put our 14 euro Decathlon cooker on the table and cook at the same height and position as an Ocean, next to the protected open window. The rest of the time we prefer to cook outside.

The other half of the time the Van is filled with 7 adults from my sport group for skiing/hiking/biking with all our equipment. Once the people are out, I sleep downstairs with the comfort mattress over the second and third row and multiflex board, 2 meters long with the top up so I can sit, stand and change in comfort. If we arrive very late, I don't bother converting the bench to a full bed, I just flip the second and third rows forward into table position and throw the comfort matress, which is adjustable in length, over it. Takes about 15 seconds, 180 cm long.

The Beach is my only vehicle. It's amazingly flexible.

I have a 3 seat bench and 2 extra seats for max 7, and am 6', 78 kilos. About half the time there are two of us (we are leaving shortly for 6 weeks in Norway). We remove the second row, sleep upstairs, no comfort mattress downstairs, because we like having a living room with a couch and table downstairs and a separate bedroom upstairs (bed gets raised to the roof when we are both up.) If the weather gets wild, we lower the roof and use the upstairs mattress downstairs. That only happens with high wind; our T5.1 bellows doesn't let water in. We never use a topper. In bad weather we put our 14 euro Decathlon cooker on the table and cook at the same height and position as an Ocean, next to the protected open window. The rest of the time we prefer to cook outside.

The other half of the time the Van is filled with 7 adults from my sport group for skiing/hiking/biking with all our equipment. Once the people are out, I sleep downstairs with the comfort mattress over the second and third row and multiflex board, 2 meters long with the top up so I can sit, stand and change in comfort. If we arrive very late, I don't bother converting the bench to a full bed, I just flip the second and third rows forward into table position and throw the comfort matress, which is adjustable in length, over it. Takes about 15 seconds, 180 cm long.

The Beach is my only vehicle. It's amazingly flexible.
You use it brilliantly :cheers

We’ve just bought a 3 seater beach and had our 1st night away last weekend! I actually hadn’t realised the bed was so high so I slept feet tail gate end as felt less cramped and was a bit disappointed to find I couldn’t sit up, but... we had swivelled both front seats round so I just wiggled out of bed and sat in the drivers seat facing everyone once I was awake. Sleeping that was round also give me a great view in the morning when I opened then sliding door and gazed out to the countryside from bed! Joy! The height didn’t bother hubbie and the teenage girls slept upstairs. The biggie for me was how hard the vw comfort mattress was - looking at alternatives for that for a better nights sleep! 5 seats plus the option for 7 was our deciding factor and I think we’ll be pleased we went that route, once we can start ferrying people around again! It’s such a versatile vehicle.

Back