Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach vs SE

I don't have my Cali yet, but its a Beach that I have on order because it can fulfil every need I have from a four wheeled vehicle. Most of the time it will my daily driver, it will be used for a lot of trips and holidays with my teenage boys and it will be use as 'base-camp' for outdoor activities and photography trips (including workshops with clients most likely). It will also serve as dormitory for me and my boys quite a bit too and I suspect that cooking for three ravenous males will be better served by outdoor catering rather than trying to use the small set up on the SE/Ocean. Were it to be just me and a partner using it for camping, the SE/Ocean might have been best, but for my needs I think (hope!) the Beach is the better prospect. I was not a fan of the Beach in the beginning, but that's before I actually thought about my needs rather than being seduced by the sexy kitchen unit LOL.

I have added far more options than I thought I would to my T6 order, the parking air heater being the biggest single expense. Quite a few of them are standard on the SE/Ocean, but hey-ho, I specced it to what I want rather than worrying about the Ocean 'getting these things for free'. No matter how I specced each, the Ocean always ended up about £6k more in any case, so still a big saving for what amounts to a better overall package, for me.

I cannot stop thinking about all the activities I wanted to be able to do a certain way in the past, but could not without the compromises of car/B&B/tent. I can hardly believe my dream vehicle is in the pipeline and I am thrilled that VW offers both models. That said, their brochures/options lists are appallingly unclear and lacking in explanations (and full of contradictions) and the lack of commonality of standard equipment and common options between models is plain daft, not to mention across the larger VW range. It starts with paint. Why, oh why are options so limited? .... but whenever I find myself thinking this way I remind myself not to lose sight of the bigger picture: at least we can get this vehicle (unlike Americans) and do all the exciting things it makes possible. I can't wait.
It sounds like the perfect vehicle for your needs and you will not regret paying all that cash for the parking heater. They are just the best optional extra you can get.

By the time you've bought a Beach, added a fridge, a "Sillypod" in the boot and a heater, you may as well have gone SE.

You can remove these things from a Beach and use the space, or you can add seats and have a 7 seater. You cannot do that on an SE/Ocean. This is not to say the Beach is better, because clearly if you do not need the space and know a kitchen inside is a priority, the SE/Ocean makes most sense (at a higher price, of course). While some people use various pods to be able to kit their Beach out like a SE, it seems fairly clear that they do this is because they like the flexibility of being able to remove and add things as their needs different from task to task. The downside is a less sleek looking interior and some missing extras. Also, people's needs change over time, but they do not necessarily want to sell a reliable known vehicle and replace it with a different one that comes with some risk.

People tend to make choices for a reason. When large numbers of people make similar choices you can be sure there is a fairly compelling reason, whether we agree or not.

By the time you've bought a Beach, added a fridge, a "Sillypod" in the boot and a heater, you may as well have gone SE.

I was not a fan of the Beach in the beginning, but that's before I actually thought about my needs rather than being seduced by the sexy kitchen unit LOL.

Arrrr yes, the sexy kitchen unit.
Also known as the magic kitchen unit in some campers. On the converted scene adding the sexy kitchen unit can add around £12k to the price of a ex-builders van...!!!
It has been quoted that its impossible to camp without sexy kitchen unit. In-fact one guy had to cancel his family's August bank holiday trip to Norfolk because the door hinge on one of his draws was jammed.
The horror:headbang:D;)

To be fair though. Its does have a little to do with market demographic for Volkswagen. The SE is aimed at the older section of the market who probably need a lot more of the creature comforts too be able to camp, eg electric roof etc
The Beach is aimed at the younger section of the market, people who bung everything in and go. No worries, no dramas. You could say the Beach is in-tended for the more hardcore and adventurous:thumb

Last edited:
Also known as the magic kitchen unit in some campers. On the converted scene adding the sexy kitchen unit can add around £12k to the price of a ex-builders van...!!!
It has been quoted that its impossible to camp without sexy kitchen unit. In-fact one guy had to cancel his family's August bank holiday trip to Norfolk because the door hinge on one of his draws was jammed.

To be fair though. Its does have a little to do with market demographic for Volkswagen. The SE is aimed at the older section of the market who probably need a lot more of the creature comforts too be able to camp, eg electric roof etc
The Beach is aimed at the younger section of the market, people who bung everything in and go. No worries, no dramas. You could say the Beach is in-tended for the more hardcore and adventurous:thumb
SE / Ocean for oldies? Are you sure?? Come on now... My Ocean arrives in March. I wanted the kitchenette because I simply couldn't be bothered cooking outside (but fair play to those that do - & prefer to do so. Each to their own.) I'm 37 & not quite ready for incontinence pants yet, so not an age thing really - surely it's all about personal preference. Anyway, some of these "old buggers" that drive Californias were young once. There are probably quite a few that did things that could put us younger lot to shame... but we do have time to catch up! Enjoy your Beach, it's ace, but so is the SE/Ocean. Not an age thing IMO
Right... back to the x-mas beer. Merry x-mas fella

soulstyledevon, I'm not quite sure of the average ages of Beach and SE/Ocean owners, but at 40 I'm just as happy with a manual roof as an electric one. In fact I am happier, because it isn't going to have an electrical brain malfunction. I might, but that's another matter. If I were a fair bit older, or had a bad back or shoulder, I am sure I would see it differently. I am happy in the elements, so cooking outside does not bother me. Some years in the army lying in muddy holes has probably contributed to that, but I can understand why people would rather not. If I did not intend to use this vehicle as a daily driver and did not have two boys, I think the Ocean would have been my choice.

The Beach is definitely a bit more utilitarian, but that's what got me interested in the Cali in the first place: utility. Besides, I have tween and teen boys that I need to wear out before I could even consider them sleeping a night in the vehicle, but the Beach has a solution for this too: fetching water, fetching the cooker, making lunch, moving seats about and before we even depart they can help me to remove the extra seats. If all this fails, I have read about how heavy the boot is, so I can ask them to get me items from the boot every few minutes. Then there is the colour. White is going to need a lot of washing. Yes, I feel the Beach is going to be even more relaxing and restful for me than an Ocean ever could have been. When the boys leave home, perhaps I'll be ready for a T8 Ocean (in metallic grey, because I will have to wash it, obviously)?

As an aside, I am surprised to see that the VW performance figures for the Ocean and Beach are so similar. The latter is 200kg lighter, yet in most places the 0-60 times are the same. I would be amazed if 200kg is not quite noticeable. Clearly one does not buy a Cali for outright performance, but the Beach should feel a bit more sprightly with the same engine and hopefully rattle a bit less in daily use.

My Beach should arrive around end March/April.

P.S. Re kitchen sex appeal, I think dark wood is the way to go. Cough.

Shame the Coast is avalible in UK -------we could have a 3 way debate

Yes and really confusing three-way tag team style fights, where you don't even know who you are supposed to be fighting, or why, and why the sides keep changing, but you get involved anyway and then change your allies 18 times. Sound like middle east foreign policy. Come to think of it maybe that's why they won't give us three versions in the UK :D

Shame the Coast is avalible in UK -------we could have a 3 way debate

When bought our SE in 2012 when the Beach did not have a cooker, or a fridge or a camping heater and no hook up. The gap between the two vans was wider then made the choice easier.

No. Let's really put the cat amongst the pigeons. The SE is for those who know EXACTLY what they want. Those who are decisive and who can afford to make those decisions.
The Beach - well I leave that to you. If you can decide.:rolleyes:

No. Let's really put the cat amongst the pigeons. The SE is for those who know EXACTLY what they want. Those who are decisive and who can afford to make those decisions.
The Beach - well I leave that to you. If you can decide.:rolleyes:
haha! Will anyone bite???

I should clarify something there. I actually do love cooking outside - You can see that from my avatar. What I should have said is that I want to be slightly more self contained in the van when cooking - especially when the weather is crap. I literally do enough cooking outside at home. 4 night a week minimum :rolleyes: ...but I do have an outdoor shelter, so no faffing about.

I'm just gob smacked how many SE owners know how to use the Internet...???
:rolleyes:

This thread has been done a million times. In fact, I'm sure it's our friends on the other forum. Lol
Both vehicles have their merits and it most definitely horses for courses. Wether it be SE, Beach, Ocean or 4motion.
Figure what works for you best and if possible go try one.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas my van lovelies :Grin

I'm just gob smacked how many SE owners know how to use the Internet...???
:rolleyes:
We invented it. We had to when we realised the younger generation had lost the art of letter writing, talking to each other and walking to the shops.:kiss:kiss:kiss

Happy Christmas All.
Off for a bicycle ride around Central London and the Royal Parks.

Quote myself...
Like i thought and like in all other treads on SE vs Beach this is gonna be a long tread SE owners vs Beach owners...:Nailbiting

Always two camps...don't know why , we are all looking for the same , fun in and arround our Cali's!

So my qoute from page one and two ....

On page three now and still read nothing new ....just people trowing sh@t at eachother...

Pick up my state pension next year, I must obviously still fit into the no worries, no drama, hardcore and adventurous category - nice :bananadance

The downside is a less sleek looking interior and some missing extras.

Or maybe it's a using the space sensibly, double bed downstairs instead of carrying round 200kg of wasted, expensive bits n pieces that never get used - witness all the ads 4 2nd hand SEs that say the cooker and sink have never been used.....

And a happy Xmas to everyone of course. :)

Feel I should apologise for starting this thread - it was because having swapped from my beach - which I loved, to an SE, which I now also
Love, I was surprised by the roof. Not the button pressing hydraulic stuff, but I wasn't expecting the roof to feel much more stable once up. Having spent many nights in the Lakes , in howling gales, I think the two roofs are very different- once up.
Anyway, both are great, having lived in my beach for the equivalent of two months a year for the last three, I've only spent 3 nights so far in my SE, but the roofs are different! Happy Christmas, one and all!

Any technical confirmation to that? Can't imagine VW developing different fabrics for tents on 2 versions.
No they are saying the difference between the manual and electric roof raising system makes the electric feel more sturdy. I can imagine that might be the case. The supports look more robust on electric.

Back