Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach vs SE

No they are saying the difference between the manual and electric roof raising system makes the electric feel more sturdy. I can imagine that might be the case. The supports look more robust on electric.

Yes and one is gas strut based and the other a pressurised (air of hydraulic?) system. Presumably the rest of it is the same between the Beach and Ocean?

Or maybe it's a using the space sensibly, double bed downstairs instead of carrying round 200kg of wasted, expensive bits n pieces that never get used - witness all the ads 4 2nd hand SEs that say the cooker and sink have never been used.....

......you've definitely been at the sherry. :bananadance

In my mind a properly speced Beach with 204HP and dsg is a very good car replacement. It is really something I could replace my bmw 5-series driving arround at work.
The Ocean/Se I guss is better as the households second car and to be used on longer journeys.

I could have afforded a second hand SE but I went for a Beach because I wanted a daily driver, something to lug stuff around, go kayaking and take the dogs out. I still have my campervan for proper hols. I've camped twice and it was fine albeit involved a lot more faffing about.

I must say however if VW did some kind of removable pod, I and no doubt other Beach owners would probably bite their proverbial arm off. Then the beach could be a contender to replace my T3 camper for anything more than a weekend away. As you can buy an SE kitchen on its own for under £1500, its almost tempting to see if it could be adapted to be removable. Not worth the financial risk and I suspect not possible.

Missing a trick there VW clearly are, but that's not new is it?

I don't get it. Wouldn't a Caravelle be a better choice than a Beach in your case?

What is the big deal with pods? Can't one just put the coocker on the table?
Is it about making the dishes?

I could have afforded a second hand SE but I went for a Beach because I wanted a daily driver, something to lug stuff around, go kayaking and take the dogs out. I still have my campervan for proper hols. I've camped twice and it was fine albeit involved a lot more faffing about.

I must say however if VW did some kind of removable pod, I and no doubt other Beach owners would probably bite their proverbial arm off. Then the beach could be a contender to replace my T3 camper for anything more than a weekend away. As you can buy an SE kitchen on its own for under £1500, its almost tempting to see if it could be adapted to be removable. Not worth the financial risk and I suspect not possible.

Missing a trick there VW clearly are, but that's not new is it?

As far as i see VW got a option to fit 3 choices of pods in the Beach ....at least in the Netherlands ...
http://www.volkswagencampers.nl/modellen/t6-california-beach/meeruitvoeringen

I don't get it. Wouldn't a Caravelle be a better choice than a Beach in your case?

What is the big deal with pods? Can't one just put the coocker on the table?
Is it about making the dishes?
We intend to do more camping in it, the pop top also makes it excellent for photo shoots as a changing room and base station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just want somewhere in the van we can store things safely and avoid trips outside to the boot when the weather is bad (most of the time in uk these days).

To be honest a storage trunk with rail fasteners would do us if we could find something.

We've even talked about really useful boxes, drill holes and fix to the rails

We just want somewhere in the van we can store things safely and avoid trips outside to the boot when the weather is bad (most of the time in uk these days).

To be honest a storage trunk with rail fasteners would do us if we could find something.

We've even talked about really useful boxes, drill holes and fix to the rails
I think I may build something like you're suggesting MattBW. Where is the best place to get the fixings for the railings?

Also, does anyone know where you can get the rail the table attaches to?
Maybe a tall slim storage trunk with a space for a stove and a rail that the table attaches to might work well.

I am aware that that link no longer has California in the description, only multivan, not sure if anyone can confirm if they are the same?

Maybe a tall slim storage trunk with a space for a stove and a rail that the table attaches to might work well.

I think Zeratul used an IKEA Alex with great success, have a search on the forum for some ideas.

I think I may build something like you're suggesting MattBW. Where is the best place to get the fixings for the railings?

You can get them OEM parts from VW as well. Would need the plastic strip that fixes to your unit/box and the T section with nut and spring. I've got he part numbers at home on an invoice.

Just found an old posting I made with them on;
The ‘T’ piece with knob and spring is 7H5885297B + £9.64 + VAT
The plastic cover that sits on the rail and the spring seats in is 7E885749 906 + £7.97 + VAT each. I think the 906 at the end refers to a colour?
from : http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/kitchen-pod-almost-complete.4130/

This was back in 2012 so prices might have changed a bit.

A table rail is available as a part number from VW. I bought one intending to fit it to the front of the pod. Think it might have been Caravelle rather than Beach though as was subtly different to the one fitted to the side trim. In the end I couldn't get it to work properly /neatly as it needed to be mounted at the same angle as the original for the table clips to engage properly.
In the end I fitted some U section aluminium to the table clips, these then just fit over the top of the unit. will try and take some photos this eve to explain better. Cheaper and easier to fit but does mean the table no longer fits onto the original rail.

The part number for the table rail that I got is 7H5864751 8Q8 and in 2013 it cost £16.18. As I said earlier I didn't end up using it but instead made some clips as shown below. (please excuse the untidy storage area).

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG
(view from underneath)

Back