Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Being gassed

Yes - but what is even sadder, and dangerous," is the often incorrect assumption that "Eastern European Gangs" are responsible, and the perpetuation of this often incorrect assumption.

Quote from the Telegraph article " French police told her East European gangs were preying on holidaymakers. ".

I think you should tell the Telegraph editor and the French police then.

I think you should tell the Telegraph editor and the French police then.
I have little doubt that that was what the French police told her. It is an easy face-saving device for the police to blame "outsiders" for local crime, and it may or may not be with foundation. But I am as sceptical about "eastern European gangs" being involved as you are about the other reported "fact" of victims being gassed in their sleep.

I suppose you have the edge over me in your scepticism, as yours is based on scientific fact.

I have little doubt that that was what the French police told her. It is an easy face-saving device for the police to blame "outsiders" for local crime, and it may or may not be with foundation. But I am as sceptical about "eastern European gangs" being involved as you are about the other reported "fact" of victims being gassed in their sleep.

I suppose you have the edge over me in your scepticism, as yours is based on scientific fact.
CF I'm afraid your over enthusiastic in your defence of anything Eastern European or European or anything that could in any possible way be construed as singling out a particular ethnic group or any group. It's appears to me to be a reflex action to display your liberal credentials. You may be right in your arguments on this thread but I've given up even listening.
Sorry but you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Mike

CF I'm afraid your over enthusiastic in your defence of anything Eastern European or European or anything that could in any possible way be construed as singling out a particular ethnic group or any group.

If it makes you happier, I will say that I genuinely believe that a European or Europeans are most likely to be the thief or thieves in these cases.

If it makes you happier, I will say that I genuinely believe that a European or Europeans are most likely to be the thief or thieves in these cases.
Nope it doesn't. Quite the opposite. They are probably not more likely. The most likely would be the most desperate. It might just be that on this occasion due to the imbalances in the area and terrible way that they have been treated that it might be them. My point is that you need to keep an open mind and act accordingly.
So my message is look at all such things with an open mind. A contrarian view to ones own is a good thing but not if it's not considered.

Mike

Nope it doesn't. Quite the opposite. They are probably not more likely. The most likely would be the most desperate. It might just be that on this occasion due to the imbalances in the area and terrible way that they have been treated that it might be them. My point is that you need to keep an open mind and act accordingly.
So my message is look at all such things with an open mind. A contrarian view to ones own is a good thing but not if it's not considered.
My mind on the matter is wide open, which is why I do not accept the certainty of what the police say about the thieves being eastern European, any more than others accept the certainty of what the police say about the victims being gassed. Indeed, I do find it rather odd that some are happy to dismiss the claim of gassing but cannot somehow accept the possibility that eastern European gangs may not be involved.

Mexicans are the crime demons in the US, eastern Europeans in western Europe. Sad.

It urgent must get summer quick now or people will take thiere own lives on here...:Nailbiting

Many years ago I used to visit an orphanage for terminally ill children in Cernoveda, near the Romanian black sea resort of Constanza.

My Taxi driver was called Marcus, he used to pick me up from Bucharesti and take me. We used to take some of the children out of the orphanage for a couple of hours into the countryside. The people then were dirt poor. It was only a few years after Caucescu was ruining the country and horse and cart was still the main form of transport.

The love and generosity of those people to the children, to me, was humbling.

There are scumbags everywhere. I've been to refugee camps in Chad, wrote for DEC in Rwanda 1995, in a weeks time going to an inspirational talk by a Bishop from a war-torn part of the Congo I have visited. I can only say from my own experience that despite cruel and unjust poverty, the brutality of war, the oppression of tyrants, most of the human race wherever you are turn out to be people of decency and integrity.

Whist war, poverty and oppression can be corrupting influences nothing but nothing seems to harden hearts and corrupt decency more than the greed and wealth found in the first world.

Only my personal experience, not a rant or diatribe.

If you were to meet Bernie Madoff you would probably have thought he was a really nice guy when he was a scumbag who stripped whole families of everything they had ever worked for and defrauded charitable institutions of millions. As my Granny would say: Never tar everyone with the same brush and never judge a book by it's cover.

Sorry, still enjoying this one... just found this in a forum post in ukcampsite.co.uk (and I salute you the poster, Keith Chesterfield whoever you are):

I have it on good authority from a man who I spoke to at an Aire last year who'd had a chat about gassing to someone whose brother-in-law's stepson had seen a couple of motorhome owners returning from a visit to a vineyard in the Loire valley who had been gassed.

Apparently the gassed couple had woken one morning with excruciating headaches and found the man's wallet had been emptied during the night and all his holiday money was missing.

Their normally vicious mongrel dog had not raised the alarm, in fact the dog seemed quite subdued, and there was a terrible odour in the motorhome.

After cleaning away the wine and brandy glasses the wife realised that the only way they could have all slept through the ordeal was to have been gassed and the man with the missing wallet agreed with her.

Despite their normal bottle of rouge each, the half a bottle of Hennessey and a takeaway, they obviously hadn't over indulged and they considered they would still have been compos mentis throughout the night.

The man later discovered a large pile of his dog's excrement in the drivers side foot-well and also wondered why his wife had gone bargain hunting in the local town despite her claiming to be brassic the day before.

Still, as they'd already reported the robbery to the local Gendarmerie there didn't seem much point in altering the story any more than the slight over-elaboration they had already presented to the French police.

Luckily they were able to recount the tale to an eager Daily Mail reporter who was on holiday at the same campsite as them and who was generous in his offers of liquid refreshment for the couple's story.

Beware of some aires, especially in South of France as they are targetted by Easten European gangs in the summer, not so much gassing but when we were at an aire near Nice last year the motorhome next to us was robbed whilst they were out for the day, they forced the door open and stole a laptop and a TV.
I stayed in a hotel in Antibes and was advised to pay for extra parking in their underground car park. Every morning we would look outside and see cars stripped of wheels and all doors open and stuff everywhere.

I say this as it's a regional thing not a camping thing. Still sad when you are the victim.

And as I likely started this element about crime will report that I will be keeping clear of aires and will be driving through the nights to be safe and only sleeping whilst the other half drives.

Ahead of our journey to the continent some motorhome friends have warned us against wild camping as we run the risk of being gassed and robbed. I have done some further research on this and it looks like the problem is rife with Eastern European gangs targeting UK holiday makers. I am assuming we should be ok if we stick to proper campsites with gate security?
I think you are more likely to be affected by a faulty gas heater or by leaving the burner on to act as a heater than any deliberate act by a thief. As with all confined spaces a carbon monoxide alarm is an absolute must.

During many years of holidaying in France we never had a problem with theft. Overnight stops were always taken in Motorway Service areas as they are well lit & have personnel on site should an emergency occur. Only stopped in Aires during daytime or for a nature break at night.

To date we have always stopped on camping sites as my Wife can't settle in Camping Car parking bays.

Was also wary of anyone trying to get us to stop by pointing at the back of the vehicle pretending that a tyre was flat or some other problem. Was a reported problem around Lyon some years ago.

I adopt a high security basis and suspect everyone, there are many 'professional gangs' throughout Europe who will even distract you from your vehicle with a map asking for directions whilst their mate grabs what they can out of your unlocked vehicle.
They are known to target Tourist Hotspots. You are on holiday they are not.

Gassing has been well covered previously.

And as I likely started this element about crime will report that I will be keeping clear of aires and will be driving through the nights to be safe and only sleeping whilst the other half drives.

Autoroute ones I agree. Too noisy for us anyway but we have used village and town ones for years without any problems whatsoever. The Aires of France book is invaluable to us.

I have stayed on motorway Aires a few times and never had a problem. Always the bigger ones rather than the WC only ones. Also stayed at the supermarket near the eurotunnel near all the migrants the Mail like writing about. Never a problem there either. The gassing stories sound like BS.

I have stayed on motorway Aires a few times and never had a problem. Always the bigger ones rather than the WC only ones. Also stayed at the supermarket near the eurotunnel near all the migrants the Mail like writing about. Never a problem there either. The gassing stories sound like BS.

And just to underline how this kind of anti-migrant xenophobia gets perpetuated... it now appears that the story of "mass sexual assault by refugees" in a public square in Frankfurt at the New Year, widely reported in the Daily Express and elsewhere, was complete fiction:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ny-cologne-new-year-allegations-a7581291.html

I'm not saying the other "mass assaults" in Germany at that time (Cologne et al) didn't happen, although you do start to wonder.

Last edited: