Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows replacement failed! What next

NGC

NGC

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our bellows leaked on our 2023 6.1 Ocean, and we recently had a replacement with new 05 bellows. Sorry to say that this replacement also leaked. I’m reluctant to change it again. I contacted VW in Milton Keynes who have been managing this case and they have offered, as a “goodwill” the opportunity for me to buy a roof topper and send VW the bill for a cost up to £500. My question to the forum is,
1) what have others done in this scenario and
2) how effective and useful is a roof topper?
Any advice is appreciated
Many thanks

Hi NGC - we took our 2024 6.1 Ocean away last week and the bellows leaked. I’m planning to contact VW in MK to rectify. Did you find them accommodating and quick to repair (notwithstanding they didn’t fix it!)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yes they just asked me to book it into my nearest VW garage (50 miles). The garage had to test it, aka fire a hose at it, it leaked so they booked it in under warranty. It was replaced within 3-4 weeks (in the garage for 2 days). During the whole process VW were in contact checking on updates so yea they were pretty good in following up. They did tell me that the success rate for these replacements is pretty low.

Our bellows leaked on our 2023 6.1 Ocean, and we recently had a replacement with new 05 bellows. Sorry to say that this replacement also leaked. I’m reluctant to change it again. I contacted VW in Milton Keynes who have been managing this case and they have offered, as a “goodwill” the opportunity for me to buy a roof topper and send VW the bill for a cost up to £500. My question to the forum is,
Many thanks
Roof Toppers are 100% effective.
Also, if you have problems drying the bellows at home before leaving it for a few weeks, wet, and liable to go mouldy ( nothing to do with leaks just a wet bellows ) then it is a very useful addition.
If you have been following the mega discussion regarding leaking bellows then spraying the seams inside and out with a £10 aerosol of Aquatex cures the problem.
I would take up the offer, especially if you contemplate all year round camping and splash out on a can or two of Aquatex.

I admire their confidence inspiring transparency! thanks, I’ll call them and get the process started. It will be interesting to see if anyone has ‘waterproofed’ their bellows. I can see pinpricks of light through ours and not necessarily just the seams / zips.

Many thanks
1. Aquatex. I have a new California 24 model and went straight to Aquatex.
2. Topper is great. Keeps you warm in winter, cooler in summer and 100% waterproof.

Roof Toppers are 100% effective.
Also, if you have problems drying the bellows at home before leaving it for a few weeks, wet, and liable to go mouldy ( nothing to do with leaks just a wet bellows ) then it is a very useful addition.
If you have been following the mega discussion regarding leaking bellows then spraying the seams inside and out with a £10 aerosol of Aquatex cures the problem.
I would take up the offer, especially if you contemplate all year round camping and splash out on a can or two of Aquatex.
Many thanks for that update. And tell me in your experience are the roof toppers easy to put on? BTW I bought some fabsil to do the same job lol!

Trying not to hijack the post - which roof toppers are you using?

Many thanks for that update. And tell me in your experience are the roof toppers easy to put on? BTW I bought some fabsil to do the same job lol!
A small collapsible stool is useful. Put up roof part way. Put topper on and then raise roof. I use the Comfortz Topper. Others are available.

Comfortz topper is brilliant, it will make winter camping more pleasant and is certain to make the bellows waterproof, BUT - it hampers ventilation a bit as it covers the roof vents a bit, it's a bit of a faff to put on unless it's a) calm and b) you have a helper (and in any case you'll probably need a stool to stand on) and while the argument about it keeping the bellows dry is partially true, unless it's dry when you take the wrap off some moisture will get onto the bellows, admittedly a lot less to deal with though than a full soaking.

That said, they are great, we have one and it's useful beyond just the waterproofing qualities.

I take it the bellows are the same on the Coast?

Any Coasters in the room? Does it leak?

I’m convinced the hydraulic roof over stretches the bellows.

Can you lower the roof and drive away with the comfortz topper or does it need to be removed every time?

Can you lower the roof and drive away with the comfortz topper or does it need to be removed every time?

All toppers will need removing. We just used ours (Rainbow) in the heat of summer and it kept the van nice and cool inside and the light out at 5am. Through the day when we went out we just took off and put in our pop up tent. Takes 5 minutes. As WG says, we use our small folding step, or I just stand on the top of the tyre.

Ref the bellows. I'd push for the topper AND a repair. Some have been successful and had both.

A topper is 300 max, so it's a cheap solution for them vs another repair.

Read the mega thread and just try not to get overly p1ssed off - some very irate chaps on there.

You can try the sealant route others have mentioned, be aware it will invalidate any warranty you may have on the bellows if they can prove that you have used it and you take in for another repair.

My understanding is the pinpricks are fine - our bellows has them (old style), it's more the seams on the new ones. Thankfully our old style bellows have never leaked even in the most torrential downpours in Scotland.

Whist I agree it may well invalidate your warranty with VW. How will they know? It leaves no trace . Also, it depends on your dealer. Some will say it is fine to go ahead and the dealership will honor the warranty. Depends who you purchased from I guess? I have my assurances in writing (email).

It is just the seams that need spraying . So the bellows will still be able to breath.

Has anyone asked a dealer the question as to what happens with the leaking bellows that have been removed? Would be interesting to know where they end up. Surely VW don't just keep taking the 'hit'?
The cost involved to remove / replace / dispose or return to VW (can't see that happening) must be cheaper than VW accepting there is a fundamental design flaw and looking for a fix. This could potentially run and run. Can you visually tell the difference between 04 & 05 bellows apart from the tag/label? How do you actually know what you are getting as a replacement? Is there a black market for bellows out there - this one doesn't leak as much as that one, where shall we fit it next, Kent? It doesn't rain as much there as it does in Cumbria.
I would also be interested in knowing if manual roof issues equal those of electric.
The more I read, the more I am reluctant to put the roof up in a downpour, as I am not confident of ever getting a fix. I think I will order some Aquatex as an insurance policy?

Whist I agree it may well invalidate your warranty with VW. How will they know? It leaves no trace . Also, it depends on your dealer. Some will say it is fine to go ahead and the dealership will honor the warranty. Depends who you purchased from I guess? I have my assurances in writing (email).

It is just the seams that need spraying . So the bellows will still be able to breath.
Definitely invalidates but if you have a friendly dealer good stuff.

Has anyone asked a dealer the question as to what happens with the leaking bellows that have been removed? Would be interesting to know where they end up. Surely VW don't just keep taking the 'hit'?
The cost involved to remove / replace / dispose or return to VW (can't see that happening) must be cheaper than VW accepting there is a fundamental design flaw and looking for a fix. This could potentially run and run. Can you visually tell the difference between 04 & 05 bellows apart from the tag/label? How do you actually know what you are getting as a replacement? Is there a black market for bellows out there - this one doesn't leak as much as that one, where shall we fit it next, Kent? It doesn't rain as much there as it does in Cumbria.
I would also be interested in knowing if manual roof issues equal those of electric.
The more I read, the more I am reluctant to put the roof up in a downpour, as I am not confident of ever getting a fix. I think I will order some Aquatex as an insurance policy?
Funnily enough VW, if they were anything like my old employer, Nissan, don’t take a hit at all.

I used to run the warranty parts return operation and setup the first pan Euro return system and process.

The dealer had to send the parts back and we used to inspect they were actually faulty. If not the dealer did not get paid, if so we would send on to the supplier of the parts. They are the ones financially liable by contract.

They would then be recharched an agreed cost for the parts and labour which they would be invoiced for. Lot’s of negotiation on elements like drawings and factory fitting. It was a huge money spinner for us as one of the few revenue teams internally.

Technically they were supposed to use the returned parts to test and implement a fix.

I also used to be on the team that would surprise visit suppliers and inspect their manufacturing process.

£10 can of Aquatex and a couple of coats on four thin vertical seams on all four extreme quarters..takes 10 mins, job done and no visible trace.
VW can only not include in their warranty as their tech team cannot confirm the content as not a Vw product…but as it’s made by Isobella a reputable awning fabric company I’m assuming their R&D has fully supported the contents that is effectively only silicon anyway.

Some dealers are even being pragmatic and honour any warranty themselves even if don’t have blanket Vw approval.

A topper can be useful as well and has other thermal benefits and if an issue is demonstrated you may be l lucky and get refunded for buying that peace of mind - but something else to carry - we all know the phrase - “ less is best”

The new version 5 bellows is a vast improvement on the disastrous experience some on this forum have endured and if there is still minimal seepage it can all be sorted quickly.

Don’t let this overwhelm your new van in a negative way ..get out there and enjoy your wonderful new Cali - life is too short!

Many thanks
Ask them to fit the bellows from an earlier model which don't leak such as year 2016 to 2021

They just shouldn’t have shifted from their O2S bellows version in the first place and I’m sure that discussion has taken place in German many times behind closed doors

Last edited:
My local VWCV dealer service manager told me that unlike almost all other VW warranty replacements, the replaced bellows are disposed locally by the service team. So VW don’t get to see them and it’s up to the service manager to tell them - or not. He didn’t and replaced my slightly leaky 03S bellows with new 05S bellows with no hassle at all

Ref identity, the bellows come with a tag showing the version

Use Aquatex. Easy to apply, no signs it’s been used, seals the seams and zips. No issues

See my topper fitting advice on the looooong bellows thread. I used @WelshGas advice and as a single person, I can now have it on in 5-10 minutes.