Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bench won’t go back

When I queried whether that was necessary they said there had been a few other recent cases and that the design had been updated!?
Given how long the rock and roll bench has been around I think that is a bit of a porker! Unless they have modified the design on the 6.1

Given how long the rock and roll bench has been around I think that is a bit of a porker! Unless they have modified the design on the 6.1
I tend to agree.

Hooray, the bench seat issue is almost resolved. Had an update call from Stuart at Citygate this morning. Removed the seat and discovered the issue was twofold :-
1. The connecting linkage between front and rear release catches had become detached (as I suspected)
2. The rear catch was extremely stiff (which may have been the cause of 1.)
Anyway complete new seat frame going in this afternoon - apparently VW doesn’t supply individual components for the seat frame! (Mad)
My van should be ready for collection from this evening :)
Big thumbs up from me for Citygate Wooburn Green, they have been totally professional in dealing with this very out of the ordinary issue.
I can now obsess about something else :)

Hooray, the bench seat issue is almost resolved. Had an update call from Stuart at Citygate this morning. Removed the seat and discovered the issue was twofold :-
1. The connecting linkage between front and rear release catches had become detached (as I suspected)
Anyway complete new seat frame going in this afternoon - apparently VW doesn’t supply individual components for the seat frame! (Mad)
Big thumbs up from me for Citygate Wooburn Green, they have been totally professional in dealing with this very out of the ordinary issue.
Great news. Are you clear on whether the 6.1 bench has been updated from the 6? I suppose it has to allow the 'lounge' function, raising the rear to create a chaise!

Great news. Are you clear on whether the 6.1 bench has been updated from the 6? I suppose it has to allow the 'lounge' function, raising the rear to create a chaise!
Hi 66tim99,
I believe there has been some updates to the bench seat but not to facilitate the lounge function. That is a completely separate frame at the back with the bed board attached. It can easily be removed by releasing a catch on each side.

Great news GG lucky they had one in stock i hope it isn't a sign of things to come?

Great news GG lucky they had one in stock i hope it isn't a sign of things to come?
No, they didn’t have it in stock Wogga, they anticipated what they might need and ordered it in from Germany along with various other bits. Like I say, so far so good with Citygate.

No, they didn’t have it in stock Wogga, they anticipated what they might need and ordered it in from Germany along with various other bits. Like I say, so far so good with Citygate.
That was very proactive of them GG, you can’t grumble at that at all, long may it continu.

Very good news. After your experience it was one of the first things I checked on collecting the van last week!!

One last post on this issue. After the problem had been solved by Citygate on Monday this week, I raised a case with VW Customer Care. They got back to me on Wednesday and we discussed what happened and what I expected from VW. They then spoke with Citygate to confirm things and today they called me with their offer of a goodwill gesture. I don’t want to share the monetary value of this gesture on this forum as it’s confidential, but I have to say that it was quite generous. So, a big thumbs up from me for VW Customer Services.
I know there are stories of poor service from VW on the forum but I have to say that my buying experience with Eurovans, problem resolution by Citygate, and the service I’ve had from Customer Services in Leeds have all been excellent.

One last post on this issue. After the problem had been solved by Citygate on Monday this week, I raised a case with VW Customer Care. They got back to me on Wednesday and we discussed what happened and what I expected from VW. They then spoke with Citygate to confirm things and today they called me with their offer of a goodwill gesture. I don’t want to share the monetary value of this gesture on this forum as it’s confidential, but I have to say that it was quite generous. So, a big thumbs up from me for VW Customer Services.
I know there are stories of poor service from VW on the forum but I have to say that my buying experience with Eurovans, problem resolution by Citygate, and the service I’ve had from Customer Services in Leeds have all been excellent.
I know we would all like things to be right first time. But it makes a fitting ending that VW made you feel good about the brand and what it feels is it’s responsibility is to customers, well done GGD

@GrumpyGranddad looks like we have the same problem but so far very poor experience with the service. We are stuck in the same place since mid April and apprently they are waiting for another part to be delivered now. Have already visited them twice (and it is an hour drive for us!).

I may be asking for some advice regarding the VW compensation because what was supposed to be a vehicle to bring as joy is only bringing lots of stress at the moment.

@GrumpyGranddad looks like we have the same problem but so far very poor experience with the service. We are stuck in the same place since mid April and apprently they are waiting for another part to be delivered now. Have already visited them twice (and it is an hour drive for us!).

I may be asking for some advice regarding the VW compensation because what was supposed to be a vehicle to bring as joy is only bringing lots of stress at the moment.
I symathise with you @camp5.

Note that I engaged with Customer Services after mine had been fixed. Only then could I quantify the length of time we couldn't use the van for camping and the inconvenience we’d experienced.

You could talk to them now though and explain the situation. Point out that you cannot use the vehicle for its intended pupose with the seat stuck. You’ll have at least opened a case with them.

They don’t like to use the term ‘compensation’ but in our case offered a ‘gesture of goodwill’. If you put your case to them reasonably I would expect them to do something for you.

I’ve had two engagements with Customer Services on different issues and on both occasions they have been very good.

Hope things get resolved for you soon. It’s really painful having a van that you can’t fully use.

I symathise with you @camp5.

Note that I engaged with Customer Services after mine had been fixed. Only then could I quantify the length of time we couldn't use the van for camping and the inconvenience we’d experienced.

You could talk to them now though and explain the situation. Point out that you cannot use the vehicle for its intended pupose with the seat stuck. You’ll have at least opened a case with them.

They don’t like to use the term ‘compensation’ but in our case offered a ‘gesture of goodwill’. If you put your case to them reasonably I would expect them to do something for you.

I’ve had two engagements with Customer Services on different issues and on both occasions they have been very good.

Hope things get resolved for you soon. It’s really painful having a van that you can’t fully use.
Thank you @GrumpyGranddad - very helpful and another post’s info regarding the fix too. We are back from the service today. Apparently they replaced one part that they ordered last week but another part needs replacing which they have not ordered as it was in their stock last week and disappeared this week. They did mention something about replacing the whole bench and that would be my prefered option tbh. I do not want to bite my nails everytime I put the bench up. We travel with two kids so in down position it is completely unusable not only as a camper but also as a car...
I will wait with the VW complain till it is fixed...we are going away (I hope) on the 29th, camping and ferry booked so if they do not fix it by then, it will be a whole new story!

Thank you @GrumpyGranddad - very helpful and another post’s info regarding the fix too. We are back from the service today. Apparently they replaced one part that they ordered last week but another part needs replacing which they have not ordered as it was in their stock last week and disappeared this week. They did mention something about replacing the whole bench and that would be my prefered option tbh. I do not want to bite my nails everytime I put the bench up. We travel with two kids so in down position it is completely unusable not only as a camper but also as a car...
I will wait with the VW complain till it is fixed...we are going away (I hope) on the 29th, camping and ferry booked so if they do not fix it by then, it will be a whole new story!
Hi Camp5,

sorry to hear your woes,

I note you have a holiday booked with the Cali.
dors your dealer know this ?
Put it in writing it can make a difference to how they handle it. (It becomes a priority)

Yes, they are aware although we do not have it in writing. Apparently it is a priority now after yesterday when they were trying to hand back not fully fixed van. It is with the dealer now just waiting to hear back from them.

@GrumpyGranddad have you had any problems with getting a replacement van/car while yours was being repaired?

Yes, they are aware although we do not have it in writing. Apparently it is a priority now after yesterday when they were trying to hand back not fully fixed van. It is with the dealer now just waiting to hear back from them.

@GrumpyGranddad have you had any problems with getting a replacement van/car while yours was being repaired?
I didn’t ask for a replacement vehicle @camp5 because it’s only a 20 minute drive and my wife obliged with a lift. Dropped it off at COB one evening and picked it up late afternoon next day.

Lucky you have your dealer so close. Ours is 1h away...

Anyway got the message and the video that it is fixed now...collecting tomorrow morning.

I know that you may be interested how they fixed it. They think one of the parts of the mechanism have been inserted the other way round and was preventing the whole mechanism from working correctly. They mentioned something about this being the wrong design from VW side and they are reporting it back to confirm. I am just hoping it is a permanent fix.

Back