Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bendy roof light

M

mattblack

VIP Member
Broke mine this weekend :sad
I think it's a rubbish design and mine is out of warranty so started looking for replacements.
None of the old type available as far as I can see on the usual sites - it seems that Osram have updated the design to this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-LED-Ony ... 1132853577
Has anyone tried one of these? - flex made of rubber rather than the breakable spiral design?
Anyone tried repairing one of the originals after doing the same?
Any help / advice gratefully received
Thanks
Matt

Tempted to change mine to this. I don't like the original that much either... The lower drain power drain of LED would be nice too.

I'm tempted to remove mine altogether useless design. might just get an LCD torch light
And hang it from the safety net ring :thumb

Bendy light
I have never used mine.The head torches I find more useful. Only two of us

They are a flimsy rubbish design, we always hold one in stock as they break on the rentals.

Hi

Back a few years ago :-
After buying a replacement from conrad - good service - I repaired the old one as a spare - I drilled out the broken part of the spiral winding 9 or 10mm drill (start small and go up in small increments using a variable speed drill with the bracket in a vice) then the spiral arm can be refitted and glued. I haven't needed to refit it yet but it looks as though it is a good job even if the arm is now 30mm shorter!

Regards

Ray

mattblack said:
I think it's a rubbish design and mine is out of warranty so started looking for replacements.
None of the old type available as far as I can see on the usual sites - it seems that Osram have updated the design to this one:
Has anyone tried one of these? - flex made of rubber rather than the breakable spiral design?
Thanks
Matt

Having a Beach mine didn't come with the light as standard but we bought the 12v plug in Osram LED bendy lite which looks to be of the same design and it is a really nice bit of kit. It is perfectly up to lighting up the roof space and can easily be swivelled with no risk of breaking anything so that the light can be directed away from someone trying to sleep.

Thanks all for your really speedy and helpful replies. What a great forum this is!
Need to decide:
1. Remove altogether and use head torch (sounds a good plan).
2. Try the repair idea (may be beyond my ability but great job) - could just see it happening again and not sure my travelling partner could handle the swearing again.
3. Like the look of this new one but may take some effort to do. Always wondered about all those fuses under the seat!

Thanks all
Matt

defender1 said:
Having a Beach mine didn't come with the light as standard but we bought the 12v plug in Osram LED bendy lite which looks to be of the same design and it is a really nice bit of kit. It is perfectly up to lighting up the roof space and can easily be swivelled with no risk of breaking anything so that the light can be directed away from someone trying to sleep.

So in the beach - is there a 12v socket where the base of the bendy light is in a SE.

If so I wonder if SE owners with a broken bendy light could replace it with a 12v socket, that then gives us the flexibility to install a temporary bendy light, or anything else that runs from a 12v socket.

If this is the case could a beach owner give us the part number - my bendy light isn't broken, but I like the idea of having 12v in the roof for charging the kids game consoles....

T

raynormor said:
Hi

Back a few years ago :-
After buying a replacement from conrad - good service - I repaired the old one as a spare - I drilled out the broken part of the spiral winding 9 or 10mm drill (start small and go up in small increments using a variable speed drill with the bracket in a vice) then the spiral arm can be refitted and glued. I haven't needed to refit it yet but it looks as though it is a good job even if the arm is now 30mm shorter!

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for this repair advice. Daft question, what did you do with the wire when drilling as the female connector appears to large to come out of the small hole behind the mounting bracket. Have thought about trying to wedge the female connector in hole. unplugging male connector and getting wire out of the way like that. Sounds like disaster potential though if it all falls back through the hole!!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt. There was plenty of wire, so I unscrewed the mounting plate and taped the wire to the bulkhead before cutting it. Fitted new connector suitable to go through hole in bulkhead before removing tape. Regards

We find it fine and it's survived almost three years of use with two young kids. Very handy in fact - but it DOES look fragile.

Your not meant to swing down to the lower level 'Tarzan Like' on it ......lol

Just had mine replaced on the warranty due to a fault, after being on for 15-20 minutes it got so hot it melted the plastic glass....... Ouch!

raynormor said:
Hi Matt. There was plenty of wire, so I unscrewed the mounting plate and taped the wire to the bulkhead before cutting it. Fitted new connector suitable to go through hole in bulkhead before removing tape. Regards

Thanks Ray
Great thinking, was focused on getting the large connector out but that's a great solution.
Now to find the right fuse to take out!!
Regards
Matt

defender1 said:
Hi Defender 1, do you have a picture and a product reference?
Tia,
Waldo

Finally got around to fitting
My 12 v socket in place of the stupid light
The kids smartphones keep it lit up

20140521_134122.jpg 20140521_135755.jpg

ah....so there is a lens on the light then? :eek: For some reason we don't have one! or if we did it has magicked itself away! Don't normally use it but noticed it last week when nearly burnt finger on the naked bulb!!!!
another warranty job for the dealer next week...along with yet another replacement rear side window blind!

mattblack said:
Thanks
Matt

I'm hoping his price is a typo; £370 is a tad steep, even by Cali standards (Brandrup will be knocking these out soon! ;) )

Thanks everyone. Like KernowLad ours still works after 3 years and with children, but did change the halogen bulb for a LED one as it got so hot (and children like it on overnight), but it's not ideal.

Looking at the links, the Osram Onyx Copilot L seems better than the VW version, but it is shorter (the longer L+7 is only 37cm, ~10cm less than the VW one). They are available at:
http://www.led-lampenladen.de/osram-onyx-copilot-l-7-schwarz/osram/4052899077324
for Euro 40 including delivery, but couldn't find any UK supplier. Looks like a project for the winter...

Back