Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Canvas Insulation

S

Sunmok

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
thanks, I will go for the vent holes. I'll post some pictures when done!

S

Sunmok

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just to say a huge thank you for this template. It worked a treat and my other half was so impressed, he didn’t believe I’d made it (he took the kids to see a show whilst I was workinb).

I used the 10 x 1.05m insulation role from Screwfix for £29.99 and the Velcro and duck tape from them too.

I folded my foil down the middle and usefolding clips to hold it in place so there was no movement. I measured the different length/depths and used a long 3m length piece of wood to mark my diagonal cut.

The duck tape edging looks great and will definitely protect the edge but is definitely the bit that takes the most time. My top tip is to do it in short sections and I also reinforced the corner points.

Having struggled to get to the centre even on my stool, I moved the overlap to the rear corner on the advice in a previous post. This also worked a treat.

I’ve elected to put the ventilation holes in places because we use the heater a lot and I was worried about ventilation without.

This has been a fantastic first DIY project and is definitely something anyone can manage, just take your time and check your measurements.

View attachment 53806
Thank you
Hi I own a t6 ocean as well and want to do the same. I measured the canvas but I'm a bit lost. It seems that at both sides the top of the roof it's 5 cm longer than the bottom, which makes sense looking at the overall shape. But now i don't really know how to cut the insolation. Hope you have some tips? Thanks

S

Sunmok

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have just returned from Scotland and was asked by 2 separate California owners about the foil insulation I put around the Canvas roof if its cold or is likely to rain.

I am not claiming the idea as mine,:stop I think there is a company that sells them, others on this forum have made them themselves already.
But with the interest I thought I would post a picture and plan in case anyone else wants to make one for themselves as I think it works very well ;)

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33706
Check dimensions yourselves before cutting!!! (don't blame me :headbang :talktothehand)

It is just double bubble foil insulation cut to shape and the edges sealed with Duck tape from Screwfix with a velcro closure.

You need:
1 roll Double Aluminium Double Layer Bubble Wrap Foil Insulation 1.2m x 10m approx £35
1 roll Duck Original Cloth Tape 50 Mesh Silver 50mm x 25m approx £6
1 roll Velcro Brand Stick-On Tape White 20mm x 2.5m approx £4
( with the excess foil I made a front screen and side window screens for use inside under the Cali blinds)

Advantages:
Relatively quick to fit under the struts and velcro to itself at the back (it is an advantage to be tall)..easier to fit than a Cali-cover but probably not as good in more extreme weather.
Largely stops the Canvas from getting wet in the rain.
Keeps the van dark inside in the morning when its sunny.
Warmer.
Lightweight.

Disadvantages:
It takes a couple of hours to make and costs just over £40
You can't use the windows in the canvas so the van is darker inside during the day.
When rolled up for transit its still about 300mm diameter and 1.02m long.

Hope this helps anyone interested :)

Hi, It looks great, Im planning the same. but I can't seem to get why you cut out the insulation the way you drew the dimensions. The bottom side's left and right are straight, but you drew them slightly in an angle, and if I try that on a piece of paper and try to fold it, it overlaps and doesn't fold nicely. Please can you help me understand why you did it this way? I'm really struggling here. :oops: thanks a lot!

westfalia

westfalia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, It looks great, Im planning the same. but I can't seem to get why you cut out the insulation the way you drew the dimensions. The bottom side's left and right are straight, but you drew them slightly in an angle, and if I try that on a piece of paper and try to fold it, it overlaps and doesn't fold nicely. Please can you help me understand why you did it this way? I'm really struggling here. :oops: thanks a lot!
The front part of the roof canvas is not perpendicular.

S

Sunmok

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The front part of the roof canvas is not perpendicular.
Thanks, I get what you mean now. I have done the measurements, and the T6 Ocean poptop is a few cm larger. but overall shape is pretty much the same. I'll post the pictures when done.

Radio-active

Radio-active

Mike
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, the template does work, (DRPPS made a few dimensional adjustments) but because the cover wraps around the canvas roof, there is enough overlap at the back to take up any length dimensional difference, concentrate on the width (height) dimension being accurate.
This insulation project has been one of the single best additions to my Cali both from a warmth as well as a waterproof point of view and only takes a couple of minutes to fit.

Beachbum140

Beachbum140

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have just returned from Scotland and was asked by 2 separate California owners about the foil insulation I put around the Canvas roof if its cold or is likely to rain.

I am not claiming the idea as mine,:stop I think there is a company that sells them, others on this forum have made them themselves already.
But with the interest I thought I would post a picture and plan in case anyone else wants to make one for themselves as I think it works very well ;)

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33706
Check dimensions yourselves before cutting!!! (don't blame me :headbang :talktothehand)

It is just double bubble foil insulation cut to shape and the edges sealed with Duck tape from Screwfix with a velcro closure.

You need:
1 roll Double Aluminium Double Layer Bubble Wrap Foil Insulation 1.2m x 10m approx £35
( with the excess foil I made a front screen and side window screens for use inside under the Cali blinds)

Advantages:
Relatively quick to fit under the struts and velcro to itself at the back (it is an advantage to be tall)..easier to fit than a Cali-cover but probably not as good in more extreme weather.
Warmer.
Lightweight.

Disadvantages:
You can't use the windows in the canvas so the van is darker inside during the day.

Hope this is not a dumb question but keen to try this DIY project and not waste material unnecessarily. My question is how come the design narrows from both top and bottom? When I look at the picture where it is fitted it would seem the bottom edge should be straight and the top edge follow the slope of the roof?

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hope this is not a dumb question but keen to try this DIY project and not waste material unnecessarily. My question is how come the design narrows from both top and bottom? When I look at the picture where it is fitted it would seem the bottom edge should be straight and the top edge follow the slope of the roof?
I know what you mean but the front canvas isn't perpendicular to the roof line, so the bottom edge actually mirrors the top edge.

I followed the template, adjusting by a couple of cm after measuring the roof on my T6, and it fits perfectly.

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The bubble wrap is not wide enough to wrap it in one piece (depthwise), so you have to join it. If you are particular, it looks better to have the join running round the middle, rather than having a full-depth bottom piece and a tapering top piece. To facilitate this, I actually made a little scale paper model (of the wrap, not the whole van) to make sure everything worked before I started cutting. But the biggest problem for me was finding enough space in the small flat we live in to lay out 8 metres of bubblewrap to tape the edges without kneeling on it and popping the bubbles.

It was a good piece of kit, very cheap, looked neat, and kept us warm. But it began to tear where it was stuffed behind the struts, and also didn't have windows, making it dark inside, so in the end we replaced it with a Calicap mütze.

campervan cosy.jpeg

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
The bubble wrap is not wide enough to wrap it in one piece (depthwise), so you have to join it. If you are particular, it looks better to have the join running round the middle, rather than having a full-depth bottom piece and a tapering top piece. To facilitate this, I actually made a little scale paper model (of the wrap, not the whole van) to make sure everything worked before I started cutting. But the biggest problem for me was finding enough space in the small flat we live in to lay out 8 metres of bubblewrap to tape the edges without kneeling on it and popping the bubbles.

It was a good piece of kit, very cheap, looked neat, and kept us warm. But it began to tear where it was stuffed behind the struts, and also didn't have windows, making it dark inside, so in the end we replaced it with a Calicap mütze.

View attachment 78567
I think it must depend on the roll you buy, as I purchased a single roll from Screwfix and it worked perfectly with no joins.

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
That would have made things easier!

Beachbum140

Beachbum140

Vehicle
T5 Beach

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33706

You need:

Advantages:
Warmer.
Lightweight.

Disadvantages:

Mike i have just today completed our DIY insulation using your illustration so a very BIG thank you

VW California Club