Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Berghaus Tyres Wearing Quickly - Advice Please

S

Smudge00

VIP Member
Bit of luck for me cancelled new order in June for 180 Olympian blue because of cost, but less than two weeks later saw this one in local motor home dealer on the way home from work and bought two days later with massive saving on new Cali. It's a180 with f&r sensors, climate, cruise,covers etc. Have covered 5000 miles know and loving it. Front tyres are nearly gone and have had them checked today so will only cover 6000 miles max!!!!!! What should I expect? Any help.

Mark I split this topic away from the register as it'll be seen better here.

If you've only managed 5-6k miles from the tyres I'd say either you are driving it very very hard or there is something wrong.

I'm at around 9.5k miles and no significant signs of wear.

Is it even wear or limited to parts of the tyre such as sides or the middle??

At nearly 12k in two years of mainly gentle driving in our 180 dsg there is very little sign of wear.

I'm going back to VW today as I use the Cali everyday for work on A roads (40 mph max) and through Exeter with stop start traffic. Also a few trips on Dartmoor and some M5. Nearside tyre seems worse though, pressures were 3 pounds low in ns trye and 1 on offside. I might try and see about winter tyres on a second set of alloys for the rest of the winter, check tracking and see how it goes. (Averaging 32.8 mpg now overall so don't feel I'm to mad on the go pedal)

winter tyres are an option and will cost to buy and then storing them and it may end up at one point having to replace 2 sets of tyres ....i would get all the geometry looked at first etc and if you have that bad winter weather then look at winter tyres ..

Have you got any pictures of the tyres? Who looked at them and said how much life was left in them? How old is the vehicle? What are the three tread depth measurements across the width of the tyre?

Thanks

My fronts lasted 10K, but I do drive really hard. Unusually, the wear was even across the width of the tyre, so was general wear not tracking, alignment or inflation.

Fortunately my Winters are on now, which last twice as long.

Tim

My facelift 140 transporter is still on its original fronts and have done 21k, still at 3mm now. I know its not a cali but i do generally carry a fair bit of weight and i drive it vigorously at times so i'm amazed your tyres can be in that state already.
Definitely worth getting your cali checked out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

if your van not lowered .should be getting around 20k out of them .should be on about 45psi .all round .i only get 10k out of my tyres .but i am on coilovers :shocked .is the tracking ok on the bus .

My Cali has done 15k & fronts very nearly dead ! That's Milton Keynes (loads of roundabouts) for you.

Hi all, have been to local VW and told no problems with tracking or geometry, tyre tread depths are -

tyre. Outer. Middle. Inner

NSF. 5. 4. 3
OSF. 5. 3. 4
NSR. 6. 7. 6
OSR. 6. 6 6

Any ideas ?

T5WOB said:
if your van not lowered .should be getting around 20k out of them .should be on about 45psi .all round .i only get 10k out of my tyres .but i am on coilovers :shocked .is the tracking ok on the bus .

Should I expect lower mileage from my tyres with 30mm lower springs?

What's the explanation?

Custardtart said:
T5WOB said:

Should I expect lower mileage from my tyres with 30mm lower springs?

What's the explanation?

With lowered vehicles, especially silly low, you can adversely affect toe & camber which will increase wear on inner or outer edges. -30mm and correctly setup shouldn't be a problem.

I have a Berghaus which I have owned from new with 13.5k on it and I am just on my way out to Costco to get the front two tyres (which are 255/45 R18 continentals) changed as they are gone. I hadnt realised they were so low but a pal of mine spotted it yesterday and they are illegally low :oops: not like me to be that remis but at such low milage I never would of thought they would be close to changing them. had to get them ordered in and the Bridgestone equivalent are £190 each. Think i'm going to get the Tracking checked out too.

Are they worn evenly?

I'm just over 11k miles and lots of life yet I think.

Smudge00 said:
Hi all, have been to local VW and told no problems with tracking or geometry, tyre tread depths are -

tyre. Outer. Middle. Inner

NSF. 5. 4. 3
OSF. 5. 3. 4
NSR. 6. 7. 6
OSR. 6. 6 6

Any ideas ?

They are not as low as I thought they were going to be. Taking into account the legal limit for a tyre is 1.6mm you have a bit of life left in them yet.

cheers

Stu said:
Are they worn evenly?

I'm just over 11k miles and lots of life yet I think.
They were slightly uneven. The inside edge was a little lower than the outside but the Guy at costco didnt seem to think it was too bad. He also said that he wasnt supprised at how quickly thy had worn. I suppose doing mainly City driving dont help. I will book it in to VW though to get it checked out just in case

Any tyres that might last a bit longer than the Continentals recommended for a Berghaus. My fronts have done 10.5k and are done.

Jim

Back