Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best place for a deal on a Cali?

My logic would be - if you were buying a Focus or a Fiesta then an internet broker would make sense, there are thousands of them and they can search around to get the best deal. Being so many of them means that people would be likely to discount.

If you are buying a vehicle like a Cali - which sells in small but solid numbers - then how would a broker really help? Surely your best bet would be to do the leg work and go from dealer to dealer. All the good deals illustrated so far in this thread by and large come about with direct contact to a dealer.

How is any broker going to broker a price when there is not the volume to broker with?

It's worth a go and I see one or two have done it this way but I think when buying a vehicle like a Cali you have to think about differently to buying a mass market hatch.

Interestingly - the information on this thread and this forum gives you and excellent idea of what dealers to approach - so in that respect this forum has acted as a broker based upon sound knowledge.

There are deals to be had of course but I would not want to use a broker personally. In fact due to the cost nature of my purchase i wanted to look at every Beach, just so I knew what I was buying, I also wanted to feel connected and confident with such a large purchase.

If I was buying any Cali again, I'd use this site and it's members as a resource for discounts and the best dealers.

James

I can see the logic of using a broker, even for the Cali as a broker has an established relationship with many dealers and if supplies were adequate then to the dealer it's just another 'unit'.

As I eluded to above, this is (to quote my dealer) California Season so any stock that was around is moving quickly so the clock is ticking and a week or two wait with a broker can be an awkward delay..

IMO genuine potential buyers must be thin on the ground so the old "they are in big demand" line doesn't wash.

Can't be a huge amount of people that can afford to spend £44-54k yet are happy to use a camper with no loo/shower, etc. Superb vehicles that suit us all perfectly but I reckon proper customers must be short on supply.

Look through the dealer spiel and realise that if you are in the market for one, any dealer not willing to do a good deal needs ignoring. Plenty of other good dealers about IMO.

Our two "local" dealers didn't seem all that worried about sourcing one so lost out.

I think I am going to have to beg to differ on your point there.

I know from actually looking at the dealer stock system myself that the Berghaus stock has depleted very quickly. There were no SE's in free stock in the UK at all. The dealers we used have sold a Toffee Brown ex demo this week and have had lots of interest in their Silver Berghaus in the showroom, as well as the red demo they have and we've seen a fair few people in looking when we've been in there.

You've also got good hard eveidence on how many have been bought and collected by members here in the last month.

KernowLad said:
IMO genuine potential buyers must be thin on the ground so the old "they are in big demand" line doesn't wash.

Can't be a huge amount of people that can afford to spend £44-54k yet are happy to use a camper with no loo/shower, etc. Superb vehicles that suit us all perfectly but I reckon proper customers must be short on supply.

Look through the dealer spiel and realise that if you are in the market for one, any dealer not willing to do a good deal needs ignoring. Plenty of other good dealers about IMO.

Our two "local" dealers didn't seem all that worried about sourcing one so lost out.

At the Wicksteed meet two weeks ago Stuart fron vw leicester told me he has sold 4 in the last week. They are flying of the shelves :thumb

Stu said:
I think I am going to have to beg to differ on your point there.

I know from actually looking at the dealer stock system myself that the Berghaus stock has depleted very quickly. There were no SE's in free stock in the UK at all. The dealers we used have sold a Toffee Brown ex demo this week and have had lots of interest in their Silver Berghaus in the showroom, as well as the red demo they have and we've seen a fair few people in looking when we've been in there.

You've also got good hard eveidence on how many have been bought and collected by members here in the last month.

KernowLad said:

But compare that to a normal VW van or car. Yes supply is low but I reckon demand is limited too.

We did get a bit lucky though after an initial fruitless search.

I think average delivery for a new VW/Audi/SEAT car is 3 to 4 months.

We have a Leon which was just over 3 months, my A4 was 4 months and we've got a Golf on order which is currently heading towards 4 months.

These are mainstream cars as you say but supply is still quite limited.

DSG boxes and some paint colours took a hit because of what happened in Japan.

Stu said:
I think average delivery for a new VW/Audi/SEAT car is 3 to 4 months.

We have a Leon which was just over 3 months, my A4 was 4 months and we've got a Golf on order which is currently heading towards 4 months.

These are mainstream cars as you say but supply is still quite limited.

DSG boxes and some paint colours took a hit because of what happened in Japan.

Now this is VERY nerdy but have you noticed how metallic greys have become lighter recently?! LR's "Orkney grey" is much lighter than the older "Stornoway" BMWs current grey is lighter and natural grey is way lighter than the previous T5 version. Wonder if they ran out of darker hues?! Or it might just be fashion.

Stu said:
I think it was mainly metallic colours being affected.

Looks like it - a few metallic colours have got lighter since the disaster including the greys.

I can see all sides of this debate but in my experience having bought quite a few new vehicles is its really easy to believe the hype/spiel that the dealers give out for something that you really want

They will tell you that "They are flying off the shelves" or "I just can't get enough of them on my forecourt" etc etc

The same dealer will say to you when you want to sell your pride and joy "Sorry mate there's just no demand at the moment" or "The facelift version is out soon so your's will be hard to sell". At which point they will try to make yet another margin from you as that's what they do for a living

I quite like brokers as they do the negotiating for you and saves quite a bit of hassle. But they cannot always deliver what they promise

I fully agree with the point of doing the leg work first :thumb This is a must and I have done this so I know exactly what I want. For me its just about getting the best deal no matter how far away that is as

It maybe that there are no really great deals due to the low volumes and that's fine too :grin: It just means that I will have to go through the dealer but due to this thread I know which one's I will be starting with so thanks for all of the input :thanks

Ordered a 180DSG 4motion on the 20th of Feb - picked it up on 12th of May, all to my spec.
Privacy, Towbar, F&R sensors, MFSW, Mud flaps, DAB radio, Grey Metallic, Awning, CControl.
£48.6k

A bit of an update on autoebid

They can supply me a 140 SE with Awning, front and rear parking sensors, privacy glass, cruise control, visibility pack b, metallic paint and mud flaps for £40772 delivered to my home :thumb

This is supplied by a dealer but the bad news is it would be a factory order so I would have to wait 22 weeks :sad A great deal if you have plenty of time on your hands

The same dealer has one in stock which has a similar spec for £40795 but its in Toffee Brown so I'm slightly undecided as I really wanted Sand Beige which I think is lovely :cool:

I have no idea which dealer is offering these deals as I would have to pay autoebid £500 to find out so that would obviously be added to the overall price

Even so - not bad deals :thumb I think its time for us to make a decision

m4rky said:
A bit of an update on autoebid

They can supply me a 140 SE with Awning, front and rear parking sensors, privacy glass, cruise control, visibility pack b, metallic paint and mud flaps for £40772 delivered to my home :thumb

This is supplied by a dealer but the bad news is it would be a factory order so I would have to wait 22 weeks :sad A great deal if you have plenty of time on your hands

The same dealer has one in stock which has a similar spec for £40795 but its in Toffee Brown so I'm slightly undecided as I really wanted Sand Beige which I think is lovely :cool:

I have no idea which dealer is offering these deals as I would have to pay autoebid £500 to find out so that would obviously be added to the overall price

Even so - not bad deals :thumb I think its time for us to make a decision

Toffee Brown is lovely :)

Yea I know Custard they look lovely :D

We are seriously thinking about it even though we hadn't given it a thought before

I'll speak to them tomorrow - I can see it being a bit of a sleepless night

Has anyone else got the 16" cartegena wheels and if so what are they like?

I got mine from Chris Evans at the Liverpool VW Van Centre - think I got a pretty good deal on a new stock model. I was told that this is the worst time of year to look for one as demand is higher and prices go up.

m4rky said:
Stu said:
I would say if you want the van in July / August you are going to have to look for an in stock vehicle (of which there are few) or one that is already ordered for dealer stock. Either way I think you need to act quickly.

I happen to know there are some Olympic Blue left of Berghaus Edition.

I have recently bought at what I think is a very good price, especially considering the availability issues and I also know of another dealer offering similar deals but as Kev says it somewhat depends on your location - Although it can be worth travelling for the right deal and I also know that SMG whom sponsor the forum offer a national delivery service.

Thanks Stu :thanks

I have to let the autoebid auction run its course which ends on the 23rd May so not far away and they may get me a great deal on what will probably be a stock vehicle

The reason that I went this route was because my local dealer just was not offering a good enough discount. They had an Olympic Blue Berghaus in the showroom which had just been sold for its full RRP so I guess that buoyed them up somewhat

I will try SMG though after the 23rd - Cheers for the recommendation

I specced up a Berghaus on autoebid, printed it off and took it to my local VW dealer. They said they couldn't match it, but then they got back to me. They have preregistered a stock Berghaus with a few extras as a Demo Vehicle, then stuck it in the compound for three months while they use a different demo vehicle! So in September I pick it up, untouched, for £44.5K from a list of £50K. Autoebid printouts are great leverage!

I am looking to buy right now and have seen a180 DSG 4 Motion which caught my eye. I have been told by SMG there is no discount in the Cali that a dealer can give and the best discount on the £51.5k deal is £200.

:rofl

What they mean is they know they have the vehicle you and many others want and they don't want to give any discount.

Sadly supply & demand.

200 on 51.5k Omg!

No other market like the Cali market out there at the moment.

I've said it enough but flippin heck demand is massssiveeee :rofl

That's right fella supply & demand ... Why discount a vehicle if you have people chomping at it ... Cali's are rare anyway compared to other vehicles ,So if you are lucky to get a discount or a free cut n blow dry then you've done well ,but I'd not don't feel you've been do e over as they 2ndhand value is so strong :)

YORKSHIREHEATHEN said:
m4rky said:
Stu said:
I would say if you want the van in July / August you are going to have to look for an in stock vehicle (of which there are few) or one that is already ordered for dealer stock. Either way I think you need to act quickly.

I have recently bought at what I think is a very good price, especially considering the availability issues and I also know of another dealer offering similar deals but as Kev says it somewhat depends on your location - Although it can be worth travelling for the right deal and I also know that SMG whom sponsor the forum offer a national delivery service.

I have to let the autoebid auction run its course which ends on the 23rd May so not far away and they may get me a great deal on what will probably be a stock vehicle

The reason that I went this route was because my local dealer just was not offering a good enough discount. They had an Olympic Blue Berghaus in the showroom which had just been sold for its full RRP so I guess that buoyed them up somewhat

I specced up a Berghaus on autoebid, printed it off and took it to my local VW dealer. They said they couldn't match it, but then they got back to me. They have preregistered a stock Berghaus with a few extras as a Demo Vehicle, then stuck it in the compound for three months while they use a different demo vehicle! So in September I pick it up, untouched, for £44.5K from a list of £50K. Autoebid printouts are great leverage!

All the berghaus edition cali's had the same spec for all 80 of them ,so autoebid was telling white lies as they all where built awhile ago and they could never of got you that Cali ..

choplee said:
YORKSHIREHEATHEN said:
m4rky said:
Stu said:

All the berghaus edition cali's had the same spec for all 80 of them ,so autoebid was telling white lies as they all where built awhile ago and they could never of got you your spec berghaus unless u wanted 1 of 3 colour and exact spec

Just picked up a dealer stock Berghaus for £43.5
Can't be many left.

I've got a few 2012 Cali's up for sale soon, and one 2011. Both manual and DSG :thumb

Back