Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best place for a deal on a Cali?

M

m4rky

Hi All

Well its official Lorraine and I are definitely going to buy a Cali :thumb

We've thought it through and have decided just to go for it and we will also hopefully be attending the European meet next year too :cool:

The only snag is my beloved Audi TT has to go :cry:

We are now looking for the best deal we can get on a new Cali and at the moment I have placed an order with autoebid to see what they can do. If I get no joy there, does anyone know of a dealer that gives good discounts? We are looking at buying in July/August or later if the lead times push it that way.

Thanks Mark

I would say if you want the van in July / August you are going to have to look for an in stock vehicle (of which there are few) or one that is already ordered for dealer stock. Either way I think you need to act quickly.

I happen to know there are some Olympic Blue left of Berghaus Edition.

I have recently bought at what I think is a very good price, especially considering the availability issues and I also know of another dealer offering similar deals but as Kev says it somewhat depends on your location - Although it can be worth travelling for the right deal and I also know that SMG whom sponsor the forum offer a national delivery service.

Try giving Stuart or Gary a ring at vw Leicester last time I spoke to him they had 10 Cali's
He sits at the docks waiting for them to come in he then snaps them up.
Worth a try he sells about 4 cali's a week and the dealership is turning into one of the largest dealers in the uk :thumb

Stu said:
I would say if you want the van in July / August you are going to have to look for an in stock vehicle (of which there are few) or one that is already ordered for dealer stock. Either way I think you need to act quickly.

I happen to know there are some Olympic Blue left of Berghaus Edition.

I have recently bought at what I think is a very good price, especially considering the availability issues and I also know of another dealer offering similar deals but as Kev says it somewhat depends on your location - Although it can be worth travelling for the right deal and I also know that SMG whom sponsor the forum offer a national delivery service.

Thanks Stu :thanks

I have to let the autoebid auction run its course which ends on the 23rd May so not far away and they may get me a great deal on what will probably be a stock vehicle

The reason that I went this route was because my local dealer just was not offering a good enough discount. They had an Olympic Blue Berghaus in the showroom which had just been sold for its full RRP so I guess that buoyed them up somewhat

I will try SMG though after the 23rd - Cheers for the recommendation

Calikev said:
Try giving Stuart or Gary a ring at vw Leicester last time I spoke to him they had 10 Cali's
He sits at the docks waiting for them to come in he then snaps them up.
Worth a try he sells about 4 cali's a week and the dealership is turning into one of the largest dealers in the uk :thumb

I can just imagine him sitting there waiting for a boat to come in from Germany :lol:

Thanks again I'll add them to the list :thumb

From my recent negotiations I think a Berghaus somewhere between £45-£46k would be a good target. OTR of them with the spec most if not all appear to have is £50025.00 IIRC

It'll be interesting to see what Auto ebid comes up with but I'd say there is no harm in keeping your options open with some other dealers.

It's seems from posts here that there are especially deals to be done on Berghaus special editions that are in dealer stock, and that their may be dealer incentives to clear stocks.

We wanted a 4motion DSG which has a long (now 9-12 month?) factory lead time but were lucky to find one built that wasn't already sold. As finding the vehicle was the difficult part, the discount discussions were tricky but Laine at SMG Tonbridge gave us what felt a fair deal. He too seems to be shifting a decent volume and has vehicles scheduled in build to sell on an ongoing basis that you can spec.

Ours is very well specced though I think the only option it has I wouldn't have put on it by choice is the 18" inch alloys (though they do look very nice!)

Simon

Stu said:
From my recent negotiations I think a Berghaus somewhere between £45-£46k would be a good target. OTR of them with the spec most if not all appear to have is £50025.00 IIRC

It'll be interesting to see what Auto ebid comes up with but I'd say there is no harm in keeping your options open with some other dealers.

Yea I'll let you know if they can do deals - I have found with on line brokers in the past that what they say they can do and what they actually do can be two completely different things

I used "drivethedeal.com" and it worked out very well for me. I put all the details in on a Sunday evening, got a call from a guy first thing Monday morning basically working out if I was serious or just a time waster. They then called me again at lunchtime to confirm all the details and say they were making progress. Another call a couple of hours later saying they had found a Berghaus but a slightly different spec "in the system". Went through it all and agreed the price. 30 mins later the dealer called me and emailed me the paperwork and said they would deliver in 2 weeks. Job done :grin:

Of course it all felt too good to be true and too easy so I expected there to be a "misunderstanding" somewhere along the line and the spec / colour so be different but it wasn't. I had to give £500 deposit which didnt leave my account for days, which aroused my suspicions that they actually had what I was looking for and that it was all legit - I had to chase them to take the money which was a bit odd!

So based on experience of using them once it was very good.

I was a bit worried about not buying from a dealer that I knew, and was local, and building a relationship etc but ultimately the real relationship has to be with the guys that service it as that they are the people you rely on to keep your vehicle on the road in the long term.

Doug

A bit off topic but what's the spec of your van Doug?

Mine is -

Privacy Glass
F&R Sensors
Climate
MFSW
Safe
Vis Pack B
Cruise Control

I think that's it.

Good to hear you got on ok with Drivethedeal. We considered using them. In the end we took the price they quoted to a couple of dealers. Liverpool matched it, but slightly different spec and colour. Sheffield were about £300 over but with the exact spec we wanted. In the end we used Sheffield as they were more local.

In the first instance I would try Hugh at SMG. However built Cali's are very short in supply! The 12 month lead time doesn't help for DSG. I've just ordered 6 for next year already.

Stu,

Mine is exactly the same spec as yours except in Blue. I guess they built a whole batch with that spec!

Doug.

We ran into the problem that everyone wants a Cali at this time of year, and found when we rang around dealers they either had none or not what we wanted. When we eventually contacted the Manchester VW Van Centre we were sent a long list of Calis they had ordered, all of slightly different specs, and were told which hadn't been reserved and when they were expected to come off the production line. Apparently they are one of the main places in the UK for new Cali sales and keep on placing advance orders as they know someone is going to buy - most other dealers wouldn't do that.

Plus, you get a great discount and excellent service. Can't recommend them enough!

doug said:
Stu,

Mine is exactly the same spec as yours except in Blue. I guess they built a whole batch with that spec!

Doug.

i think they have all the same spec doug

We've just had what I think was a pretty good deal from Heritage in Bristol, I think they bought eight or nine in for stock so were offering them at a tidy discount. Paid under £44k for a brand new SE 180 manual, with quite a bit of kit on (MFSW, Cruise control, priv glass, safe, DAB radio, leather, side awning, metallic paint). I think the full price would've been around £48k.

I'm not sure they've got any left now though as they were on this page:

http://www.heritagevwcv.co.uk/special-o ... -vans.aspx

and now they've gone. However, there were two SE's outside and a Beach and a SE in the showroom when we picked the van up a fortnight ago.

Cardiff have got a SE in stock, but my experience of dealing with the VW/Audi dealers in South Wales is that they're not that interested in selling cars!!

A lot of dealers advertise their Cali stock on autotrader.co.uk there are 30 on there now !

Paid under £44k for a brand new SE 180 manual, with quite a bit of kit on (MFSW, Cruise control, priv glass, safe, DAB radio, leather, side awning, metallic paint). I think the full price would've been around £48k.

Sounds like you've got a good deal there.
Quite a few dealers seem to order Calis 'on spec' I guess they know they will sell.

Guy at Preston VW Van Centre seems to have a decent stock - he was the only one with more than 2 4Motions in the entire UK when we looked on Dec/Jan.

Got ours pre-reg (three months previous) with 18 miles for £44,750 from him.

It's a grey 180 4Motion manual with the options in my sig plus some other bits that wouldn't fit. List was £52k. We paid cash with sometimes helps.

Cash doesn't seem to be a draw as it used to be .. They like you doing a bit of finance as it earns Vw more money..

Well I've had an interesting reply from DTD - The best they can do is a factory order with no discount what so ever :? Even the dealers are offering some discount

Oh well lets see what autoebid come up with and if not I will try all of the suggestions on this thread

Looked at Auto-e-bid too - does seems a sensible system but found a better deal myself. Anyone used them?

Chop - depends on the dealer in my experience. Some seem to "hate" cash buyers, others don't want to turn away "easy" and instantly available money.

It's taken me a while to learn never to buy a car with anything but cash. I hate loan/finance interest with an unholy passion after naively using them for years. Last four car were all cash.

m4rky said:
Well I've had an interesting reply from DTD - The best they can do is a factory order with no discount what so ever :? Even the dealers are offering some discount

Oh well lets see what autoebid come up with and if not I will try all of the suggestions on this thread

When we collected on Saturday I mentioned to the Sales Manager that someone was waiting on some online brokers and his straight up answer was 'no chance'. He seemed to think that due to supply issues the dealers wouldn't want or need to use DTD etc.

Stu said:
m4rky said:

When we collected on Saturday I mentioned to the Sales Manager that someone was waiting on some online brokers and his straight up answer was 'no chance'. He seemed to think that due to supply issues the dealers wouldn't want or need to use DTD etc.

And to be honest Stu he's probably right - worth a go though and I've seen a few online that I may be interested in too :grin:

Back