Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best way to get wireless connection in Europe

@Jabberwocky I have a sim unlocked mifi lurking about you can have if you cover the postage?
That would be great - very kind. If you find the SIM, let me know how to get postage to you.

That would be great - very kind. If you find the SIM, let me know how to get postage to you.
Sim free means that its not locked to any network, you just get yourself a data sim from your prefered network and stick it in, that was, say, if you you go to Morocco or somewhere out of the EU roaming zone you go to a local phone shop and buy a local data sim.
If you PM me your address I'll get it on the post.
IMG_3315.jpg
I'm just charging it up and resetting the wifi ssid and password.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm sending you the complete mifi unit as per the picture, not a sim..
It's all ready to go when the postoffice opens tomorrow.

Not sure how the MiFi is better than any phone with tethering. :)
Anyway it is not the 1st time they plan to get rid of roaming in EU and I have doubts it will be approved this year as well.
Meanwhile, I found a decent EU roaming solution with Spanish Orange operator. Paying 1euro for each 100mb used.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm sending you the complete mifi unit as per the picture, not a sim..
It's all ready to go when the postoffice opens tomorrow.
Excellent :thumb. Thank you :).

Anyway it is not the 1st time they plan to get rid of roaming in EU and I have doubts it will be approved this year as well.
Meanwhile, I found a decent EU roaming solution with Spanish Orange operator. Paying 1euro for each 100mb used.
Its more of a practical issue as you have a central wifi router and not relying on another family member having their phone on, charged, in range etc.

Convenience.

My MiFi stays in my van. I know it's there, I know it's plugged in, I can use it without needing my phone in the van. It is also on a separate network. My phone network still charges roaming fee's when in Europe whereas as MiFi supplier does not in most of the countries that I visit.

If I was to rely solely on tethering then I would also have to increase the data allowance on my phone and cost almost as much as my MiFi unit.

On my MIFI E5577 it has a wifi boost option I think it must be possible to boost an external wifi network, such as a campsite wifi, but I haven't tried it yet. I buy my data SIM's from mymemory.co.uk as they are usually the cheapest and they do quidco.

Also I recommend changing the login password as by default it is admin and admin.

On my MIFI E5577 it has a wifi boost option I think it must be possible to boost an external wifi network, such as a campsite wifi, but I haven't tried it yet. I buy my data SIM's from mymemory.co.uk as they are usually the cheapest and they do quidco.

Also I recommend changing the login password as by default it is admin and admin.

Mymemory £23.99 for 12gb lasts 12 months. Amazon £28.44 for 24gb and lasts for two years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/?tag=eliteelect-21

That is correct. When on a campsite, you can make the MiFi prefer using local WiFi over other networks. So you save data on your account. But it is mostly very slow WiFis you find along your way. I stopped bother, as we have plenty more data than we use. But it is possible if you access the backend on the moden tru the web interface.

We only use the MiFi for our laptops. The tablet and smartphones have their own accounts. And we share the datapool across devices.

2. iBoost from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/. Used to tap into free campsite WiFi and allow multiple devices to connect. Also if you are a BT Broadband customer or a Fon member then you have access to the free Fon system which is very common in France and other EU countries.

If there is poor Mobile signal where you are then you may be dependant on the Fon system or campsite WiFi which use landlines for their broadband connection.

This works for me.[/QUOTE]

I have one of these (or something similar) brand new in the box if someone wants it for a reasonable price. Brought it but never used it.

Even if you aren't a FON member through your home broadband contract you can still buy a FON access point which used to be for a one off lifetime price of about €35. You don't even have to connect up the access point. This gives you coverage in lots of areas in continental Europe. Weve used it a lot when with the van or on other trips.

I want a simple, reliable, inexpensive way to have a wireless connection (for at least my computer/iPad) in my Cali when overseas (Europe). What is the best way t do this? I have an iPhone 6s with a UK sim only contract with EE that dose not include any data outside the UK.

I am sure this topic has come up before on numerous occasions but technology is always moving, so if my post causes a revisit to the subject that must be a good thing I hope.

We decided the cheapest way to have wifi is to buy a local sim, if in Spain buy a spanish simcard. We spend a lot of time in Portugal in the winter months, and I use a portuguese Sim card in my phone .
Hope it helps.

Would I be right in thinking these SIMs are 2GB per month over the period 12 or 24 months?
The 3 sims I have are 12 Gb/ 1 year. There is NO monthly limit.

The MiFi has a battery, just like a phone. So when we went to California, our mobiles had Mobile Data switched Off and were both paired to the MiFi which I carried in my pocket. So the phones worked for Text and Calls but Data went through the MiFi.

The 3 sims I have are 12 Gb/ 1 year. There is NO monthly limit.
Ah, interesting. Most of the preloaded SIM's I have looked at limit monthly use with the 12GB/24GB being evenly spread over the period of validity. Who are your SIM's with?

Ah, interesting. Most of the preloaded SIM's I have looked at limit monthly use with the 12GB/24GB being evenly spread over the period of validity. Who are your SIM's with?

I bought a UK 3 sim card from amazon.co.uk preloaded with 12GB of data for 12 months. It works ok in Sweden but in Germany I didn't get any contact with it at all.
Silly question maybe, but can these 3 cards be topped up at the same price or should I buy a new one every year from amazon?

I bought a UK 3 sim card from amazon.co.uk preloaded with 12GB of data for 12 months. It works ok in Sweden but in Germany I didn't get any contact with it at all.
Very odd, and annoying! Thanks for info.

I am on Three, monthly setup, I get 12gb a month for about £17 including calls and free texts. I stopped using my mifi as it was easier to just use my iphone in hotspot mode.

Back