Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best way to get wireless connection in Europe

We also use a Huawei mifi with a 12 month sim from 3 (although thanks everyone for the tip about the Amazon 2yr option!) and it was brilliant.

Not wanting to sound negative but a few things we learnt were to make sure that you keep it charged if using Google maps as we ended up running out of battery just before we really needed directions! Also make sure you check where you intend to use it as Germany isn't one of their at home destinations so we had to pay extra for an add on bundle to use data in Germany. Also be aware that if you use up your credit you have to be online to top it up so we ended up using EE roaming charge to top up the mifi! We did have both phones, laptop and all 3 children's tablets connected to it for 3 weeks though so was still easier and cheaper than daily roaming charges and using the phones as a Hotspot.

It was also handy for IPlayer downloads. The kids tablets don't like it when not on WiFi at regular intervals to check time zone settings so by keeping them connected IPlayer downloads continued to work where as in the past the downloads have been blocked until we've reconnected to the Internet and time Zone settings updated.

Off to Australia in a few weeks so will be taking it with us to try there.
I thought Germany was now in the "Feel at Home" list?

I thought Germany was now in the "Feel at Home" list?
It is unless you are on a THREE Essential Plan.

Pre-Loaded PAYG sims seem to be the most cost effective way to go usinging a MiFi, but not topping up just replacing the sim with a new one. Plenty of deals around on eBay and Amazon.:thumb

It is unless you are on a THREE Essential Plan.

Pre-Loaded PAYG sims seem to be the most cost effective way to go usinging a MiFi, but not topping up just replacing the sim with a new one. Plenty of deals around on eBay and Amazon.:thumb
Ah, important bit of info! Thanks.

Don't know if this is already mentioned somewhere but: If you use a mifi kind of solution to set up a local wifi over mobile internet, don't forget to check all your auto download and update settings. Many updates run over wifi and not over mobile. And since local wifi is nothing less than wifi, your gadgets start updating apps and even the OS from your data bundle.

This is also true for using your smartphone as 'hotspot' for the rest of the family.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is already mentioned somewhere but: If you use a mifi kind of solution to set up a local wifi over mobile internet, don't forget to check all your auto download and update settings. Many updates run over wifi and not over mobile. And since local wifi is nothing less than wifi, your gadgets start updating apps and even the OS from your data bundle.
Thanks for the tip!
By the way, I like your signature.

Bump - anyone happen to have bought a data only sim recently. If so which one did you go for and how much did you pay?

Need to replace ours before our trip to Romania.

Bump - anyone happen to have bought a data only sim recently. If so which one did you go for and how much did you pay?

Need to replace ours before our trip to Romania.
Last Sim 24GB off eBay. Lasts for 12 months from activation. That one cost £28 but was end of last year. Also available on Amazon. Full roaming in EU + other European countries and Worldwide countries. Check 3 website.
Use it in my MiFi.

Last edited:
You can buy one on the way, which will work all over EU. I am using czech O2. ~20eur a month first 5gb and each next 5gb 10eur.
I think baltic ones are cheapest but they might have limitations on roaming.

Can't you just use your normal phone with tethering? That's what I do.

UK EE "pay as you go" -- works "free of charge -- i.e. no extra roaming fees" all across Europe including Switzerland (but not Andorra aparrently)

My normal phone is with 3 and I get 12gb a month and it can all be tethered, also can roam europe for free at present.

Depends how cheapskate you are on your phone contract, we're SIM only on virgin at about £7 a month. That gets us 2Gb which with rollover from this month gives us 8Gb but we may need more in the 6 weeks or so we'll be on the road.

Maybe we'll get one on the road in the Czech Republic as spook suggests.

Depends how cheapskate you are on your phone contract, we're SIM only on virgin at about £7 a month. That gets us 2Gb which with rollover from this month gives us 8Gb but we may need more in the 6 weeks or so we'll be on the road.

Maybe we'll get one on the road in the Czech Republic as spook suggests.

& last time I looked Virgin only let you use 1/2 your allowance 'tethered'

Have been advised that the French cards are good value - you can get from supermarket without any hassle (e.g. Carrefour) -- ask for 'carte prepayee'

I work from my van a lot and although the company 2 phone does provide mobile data the speed isn't great. Plus we also need data for wife & kids bits and bobs.

I ended up going for a EE sim in an Netgear mobile wifi router. Speed is very good in most areas with 4G, 3G is ok also.

Originally was on 15GB for about £25 PAYG, but after being with them 3 month and then speaking to retention's......i moved on to a contract and now get 60GB for £22 a month.

Used it last summer across Europe and it was very good.

& last time I looked Virgin only let you use 1/2 your allowance 'tethered
And most of them have a fair use policy which restricts you to only so much per month. We were caught by this at the end of a trip last year. Bought the top up, then we're barred from using it a day later because we'd gone over the limit. No way of getting the top up back even though we were back across the channel a couple of days later and had no use for it. Grrrrrr

And most of them have a fair use policy which restricts you to only so much per month. We were caught by this at the end of a trip last year. Bought the top up, then we're barred from using it a day later because we'd gone over the limit. No way of getting the top up back even though we were back across the channel a couple of days later and had no use for it. Grrrrrr

which provider were you with? EE told me (when I asked at the shop) that they have no limit on data, that is different to the monthly limit.

which provider were you with?
Three. They were the best deal around about 2 or 3 years ago when we first got ours.

Of course that is for a data SIM where there aren't monthly limits as such, or weren't when we got it.

3UK : not unless you like swearing
Vodafone: is what I use going through France and Spain.

In my opinion EE are the best UK network, they come out top in multiple independent tests and I would only expect this to improve.
To best of my knowledge EE don't restrict the amount of data used when tethered. 3 do I suspect because they have plans with unlimited data.
As an EE customer overseas I believe you connect to whatever network is available so I would not achieve better coverage with any other network. Other networks with an overseas presence might restrict you to their network only.
BT use the EE network so would have the same benefits.

In my opinion EE are the best UK network, they come out top in multiple independent tests and I would only expect this to improve.
To best of my knowledge EE don't restrict the amount of data used when tethered. 3 do I suspect because they have plans with unlimited data.
As an EE customer overseas I believe you connect to whatever network is available so I would not achieve better coverage with any other network. Other networks with an overseas presence might restrict you to their network only.
BT use the EE network so would have the same benefits.
Does this mean EE will let you connect to a-n-y provider in Europe?

It’s all automatic. EE will have agreements with different providers, their partners, in each country you visit.

It does yes. In a situation where more than 1 network is available EE will decide which one you connect to as described by Welsh Gas.

Just spent a few days at a Freshwater East Caravan and Motorhome Club site.
Virtually no mobile signal and certainly no internet.
But, the Club has WiFi available for the site for a reasonable payment, but for only 1 device. Have to make a separate payment for each device and your connection is dropped after 10 mins of inactivity so you have to log back on. Also signal strength was not that good.
So, out comes the iBoost and it’s powered amplifier aerial. Lock onto the Camp WiFi signal. Log in and away we go. Full signal strength on the iBoost. Good download speeds. The iBoost keeps the connection live, for the past 4 days, and then just connect iPad and 2 phones to the iBoost and catchup on Simon Reeves in Australia + the Forum and anything else.

Back