Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel stolen!!!

Dave&Nicola

Dave&Nicola

VIP Member
Devastated at finding our spare wheel had been stolen. Does anyone have any good ways to prevent this happening again?

Lots on this issue in this thread.

Beware Spare Wheels Stolen at Legoland

Alan

Sparesafe offer £6 discount if you are a vip its a great bit of kit :thumb

Thanks Kev & Alan, will look into that x

Ohh noooo....... Agghhh. I have spent out for 5 new tyres since May so hope this doesn't happen to Zebedee.....
In sympathy

I hope you don't too Judith! It's just so annoying to think there's people out there doing this. Ah well, I'm great believer in karma, nothing good will come to them. X

Whatever locking device you have on the spare wheel I want to put them off before they get under there. So in addition, I had a strong chain and padlock hanging just low enough to be visible so hoping the low life will crawl elsewhere .

And, specially if its an alloy, put a wheel cover over it before raising the basket.

The Sparesafe lock looks good for me - I have one.

Thanks everyone. You're advice is invaluable and so helpful.

Calikev said:
Sparesafe offer £6 discount if you are a vip its a great bit of kit :thumb

Where do we order from to get this discount please?

It is listed on Ebay but if you contact me direct Dave, 01455 610854 I can offer a VIP membership discount £48 with VW locking bolt or £38 without locking bolt. Mention this forum and your VIP username

Thanks, will do.

How do I know if need the locking bolt?

My van still has the spare wheel.

Take a look under the van you will see 2 bolts if one has 3 little offset holes you won't need one
But I'm pretty sure you will need a locking bolt as well as the sparesafe :thumb

As well as a spare safe when I replaced my tyres I put the best legal but very used tyre on as my spare wheel so if some +#$/^&$ nicks it they get less than a new one. Also best apart of a can of WD40 sprayed under around the bolts and cage in the hope of getting some finger prints if someone has ago. If parking say in a long stay car park out of choice try to back up to a wall or over a curb to prevent tampering. :thumb

If like my van your locking bolt is less than 5cm (2ins) long, then you will need the next size up to fit the spare safe clamp

Alan

Not cutting but easy to undo without the sparesafe in place.

You mean, even with a locking bolt?

Yes there is a collar that spins but you can put mole grips on and undo the locking bolt if you are determined the sparesafe will prevent you getting anything on it to undo it except the correct
Locking bolt key. If that makes sense :thumb

Makes perfect sense thank you!

Not sure I have time to measure the bolt today, which ones do you supply, the long or short ones?

Obviously some members have had their spare wheels stolen but.....

How common is this, what's the real risk of having your spare stolen? And does it just happen at certain types of parking places? I seem t have read that several people have had theirs stolen at Legoland or Whipsnade can't remember which.

I have a bolt fitted but is it really worth putting on a spare safe as well. If just a few members have had theirs stolen out of several thousand then the risk is quite small.

Bramco said:
Obviously some members have had their spare wheels stolen but.....

How common is this, what's the real risk of having your spare stolen? And does it just happen at certain types of parking places? I seem t have read that several people have had theirs stolen at Legoland or Whipsnade can't remember which.

I have a bolt fitted but is it really worth putting on a spare safe as well. If just a few members have had theirs stolen out of several thousand then the risk is quite small.
Sparesafe circa £50 + half hour to fit new wheel & tyre £200. No brainer to me !!

My friend has his stolen from a quiet beach carpark in beautiful South Cornwall.

Certainly not just certain hotspots.

Stolen spare wheel very common on T4/5s.