Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting 80 L fuel tank?

I'd guess that if 80 ltr tank was standard and 90 ltr an option some would say 90 ltr was essential.

Providing those published figures are accurate.

From my experience.
The newer van is no more economical than the previous. If I’m brutally honest. I don’t think the latest vans are anymore fuel efficient than my old 2008 T5 2.5tdi.

My last van had the 80l tank and I really miss not having the same capacity/range in my current T6.

I personally wouldn’t order another van without the 80l tank. On longer trips it’s another 70-100 miles of real world driving or another hour plus before needing to stop to refill.
The old days, I could drive to Devon and back on a tank. With the T6 and the the 70l tank, I always need to refill, which I find most annoying…

I reckon I could drive 1000 miles on Amarillo’s 80 litre tank. But I’d have to take about 24 hrs to drive those 1000 miles and try not to exceed 45 mph.

I'd guess that if 80 ltr tank was standard and 90 ltr an option some would say 90 ltr was essential.

80l tank has been in the T series for over 20 years.
It wasn’t plunked out of thin air.
The only reason for a 70l tank was to accommodate the pigs wee wee and most lightly emissions targets.

We have the 80L tank - came with our second hand T5 - certainly does help on longer trips esp. home-to-Scotland, and also when towing which we do a lot (I can get close to 500 miles on a tank with a fully loaded trailer, on a mainly motorway trip). Which all but eliminates occasions of having to top up at extortionate m-way prices.

Would I pay extra for 80L tank as an option? Would depend how much extra I guess.

4motion and the diff seem a sensible choice.
However, I wonder how often it’s really needed on the California …?
I myself, would probably ditch it for the 80l tank.
Depends on the motor. I def want 4 Motion with the 199/204 engine to avoid front wheel spin.

Perfection happy with 70L. This give me over 500 miles on a long trip. On a long trip I going to have to stop for a rest break, might as well be a fuel stop as well.

Just gave this another moment's thought and I checked - looks like average UK motorway diesel prices are about 21p/litre higher than supermarket. That's around £15 more per full tank. If having an 80L tank means even just a few fewer m/way fill-ups each year, it would add up to quite a lot over the van lifetime.

Of course, you can arrange almost any trip to avoid a motorway refuel, but in (my) real world, a bit of extra range in hand still makes a lot of sense, now I think about it.

Just gave this another moment's thought and I checked - looks like average UK motorway diesel prices are about 21p/litre higher than supermarket. That's around £15 more per full tank. If having an 80L tank means even just a few fewer m/way fill-ups each year, it would add up to quite a lot over the van lifetime.

Of course, you can arrange almost any trip to avoid a motorway refuel, but in (my) real world, a bit of extra range in hand still makes a lot of sense, now I think about it.
The only offset to that is you are carrying an extra 10 kilos of fuel from the outset, which will offset the additional range / mileage slightly.

if I had a choice, I would choose the 80l tank,
retro fitting: dealer say no, so unless someone comes up with a relatively low cost option to retro fit an 80l tank, that will not affect factory warranty, us 70l guys will have to deal with the minor perceived inconvenience.

Last edited:
80l tank has been in the T series for over 20 years.
It wasn’t plunked out of thin air.
The only reason for a 70l tank was to accommodate the pigs wee wee and most lightly emissions targets.
You missed the tongue in cheek point.

The T6.1 will still basically be a T5 design underneath from long before the need for Euro6.x raised the space issue, and weight.
Isn't pig wee.

It is a bit ironic that theT6.1 4M 204 has a larger Adblue tank and more emission control than the previous 199/204 which may also need more fuel capacity but ends up with less than 2WD models.

Not seen anyone consider ditching the heater to make space for more tank capacity.:mute

It is a bit ironic that theT6.1 4M 204 has a larger Adblue tank and more emission control than the previous 199/204 which may also need more fuel capacity but ends up with less than 2WD models.
I’m only 250 miles in having driven back home from the dealer (204 4Mo) but adblue range showed 12500 miles on completion; assume it must have been full on collection but that is nearly 3 times as far as I ever saw in my T6 which struggled to get over 4500 miles when brimmed. Fuel consumption showed 32mpg which seemed reasonable having had a trailer on the back for the last 200 miles. Again struggled to get much better than that on the T6 which was FWD. Be intereresting to see how it settles down.

I’m only 250 miles in having driven back home from the dealer (204 4Mo) but adblue range showed 12500 miles on completion; assume it must have been full on collection but that is nearly 3 times as far as I ever saw in my T6 which struggled to get over 4500 miles when brimmed. Fuel consumption showed 32mpg which seemed reasonable having had a trailer on the back for the last 200 miles. Again struggled to get much better than that on the T6 which was FWD. Be intereresting to see how it settles down.
Congrats did you drop some photos in another thread yet ?

Since the Adblue 'upgrade' 3500 miles seems to be my new max. Sometimes was 6500mls previously. Could use the bigger Adblue Tank more than an 80ltr diesel one, which is probably why VW upped it to 27ltrs.

Back