Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting 80 L fuel tank?

View attachment 73561

The above pictures are what e-bay gives if you search for the two different part numbers - the one ending in P the 70 L one and the one ending in F, the 80 L one.

Cannot notice any differences visually.

Also, the fuel sender/pump, if there is one in the fuel tank itself, is not listed separately, and all of it seems to be a part of the tank itself. No wonder it is so expensive.

For vehicles with the diesel heater, there is a third blue pipe which supplies the diesel heater.

None the wiser after all this search.

I am buying a 10 L external diesel container such as a rotopax and carrying that outside the van on a rear rack. Also, only required if you are doing Morocco or maybe Iceland. Otherwise sufficient fuel stations everywhere.
VW puts a 10L balloon in the tank if you don't pay extra.

Any guesses as to the difference between the bottom two? one with outlets for the night heater & one without possibly.

No one is upto 2020 the other 2020 onwards

So do we think this is doable and would something need to be ‘recoded’? I’ve got a 4m coming with Diff Lock and the dealer said that I couldn’t have the 80L tank AND the diff lock (or 80L tank and the Awning - I can’t remember). I was going to ditch the diff lock and add the 80L tank but it went into ‘production’ stage before I could do it.

I’m not sure if it’s for weight or emissions reasons but it’s almost as annoying as me not getting off my backside to change it soon enough. I drive to the alps a fair bit and having a larger tank is very convenient, especially if you’re limited to school hols when the service station queues can be huuuuge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So do we think this is doable and would something need to be ‘recoded’? I’ve got a 4m coming with Diff Lock and the dealer said that I couldn’t have the 80L tank AND the diff lock (or 80L tank and the Awning - I can’t remember). I was going to ditch the diff lock and add the 80L tank but it went into ‘production’ stage before I could do it.

I’m not sure if it’s for weight or emissions reasons but it’s almost as annoying as me not getting off my backside to change it soon enough. I drive to the alps a fair bit and having a larger tank is very convenient, especially if you’re limited to school hols when the service station queues can be huuuuge.

I'm sure it's doable, but whether it is cost efficient compared with carrying a 10L container I very much doubt it.

The vehicle has its emmissions assessed at the GVW, 10% fuel + 75kgm for the driver. So going over that weight limit would impact emmissions.

If the vehicle had been built with the 80L tank but not the awning then the awning could be aded post delivery and its weight would then have come off the payload weight.

Ditch the awning and add post delivery

Thought awning was now standard fit?

I was more than a bit dozy for far too long and the van went into ‘build status’ so can’t be changed. Doesn’t matter I guess, 70L tank it is.

The 3 items that seemingly conflicted seemed to be Awning, Diff Lock, 80L tank. I think If the DL was added, the dealer had to fit the awning instead of it being on the factory build sheet and the 80L tank wasn’t possible in conjunction with the Diff Lock. I relented and thought I’d probably use the 80L tank more than a DL but by the time I got round to that and changing the colour, I was too late. So it’s white with a 70L tank (and a DL).

I was going to add VB Air and read that they have to access behind the fuel tank to do the instal anyway, so thought I could add one then if I do it. Now having read some posts on here, I’m not sure about adding the VB at all.

Thanks for your input though, everyone. At least I can swap one in if it really bothers me. I think.

4motion and the diff seem a sensible choice.
However, I wonder how often it’s really needed on the California …?
I myself, would probably ditch it for the 80l tank.

I don’t think anyone has been able to replace the fuel tanks. If you do, please update.
Enjoy the new Cali :thumb

Is it UK spec or LHD import which I think you were considering? Just taken delivery of an Ocean with awning, diff lock and 80ltr tank; all factory fitted, no problems. Seems pretty inconsistent from VW unless it’s a VW UK vs VW EU thing.

Assuming the tank fits, my concern with a DIY fit would be jacking the vehicle high enough to access/remove the tank. A four poster may be required.

On the Ocean, not sure on the Coast.
Had a look on current config and Awning Standard on both Ocean & Coast. 80ltr tank also an option on Coast/Ocean but that disappears on 4M option.

Wouldn’t it be easier and an awful lot cheaper to carry 2 x 5 ltrs fuel containers? You are almost certainly going to stop somewhere for a break when you could put those 10 extra ltrs in the tank. Or is it I’m missing something here. When we used to ride to Europe on our bike we had to stop every 150 miles to fill up. Never occurred to me to put a 50 ltr tank on the bike . Easier to fill up every 150 miles.

Is it UK spec or LHD import which I think you were considering? Just taken delivery of an Ocean with awning, diff lock and 80ltr tank; all factory fitted, no problems. Seems pretty inconsistent from VW unless it’s a VW UK vs VW EU thing.

It’s a LHD / German ‘Edition’ Model. But yes I hear you. The UK configuration allows both. Can’t work it out. Never mind.

Wouldn’t it be easier and an awful lot cheaper to carry 2 x 5 ltrs fuel containers? You are almost certainly going to stop somewhere for a break when you could put those 10 extra ltrs in the tank. Or is it I’m missing something here. When we used to ride to Europe on our bike we had to stop every 150 miles to fill up. Never occurred to me to put a 50 ltr tank on the bike . Easier to fill up every 150 miles.

I hear you. We do stop regularly but often on the Autoroutes in peak school hols there are big queues at the filling stations - so it’s nicer to do non fuel stops. 2x5L cans would negate that but not sure that’s less hassle. I’m a clumsy chap.

Why all the clamour for an 80l fuel tank, says he who has one? From memory your advised not to let the tank get below a quarter full so the actual advantage is pretty negligible. 7.5 litres to be precise or roughly fifty extra miles. Much less if you have heavy right foot. Is that really worth all the expense and hassle of retro fitting a slightly bigger tank, if that is actually possible? You'll never recoup those costs.

So you have to top up a little more often but that's nothing compared to what's coming. When the fully electric alternative eventually arrives you'll be in and out of the charging facilities like a fiddlers elbow.

Last edited:
Why all the clamour for a 80l fuel tank, says he who has one? From memory your advised not to let the tank get below a quarter full so the actual advantage is pretty negligible. 7.5 litres to be precise or roughly fifty extra miles. Is that really worth all the expense and hassle of retro fitting a slightly bigger tank, if that is actually possible. You'd never recoup those costs.

So you have to top up a little more often but that's nothing compared to what's coming. When the fully electric alternative eventually arrives you'll be in and out of the charging facilities like a fiddlers elbow.
Plus peak holiday charge point queue's that may need prebooking;)

80l tank is a nice to Have but not a game changer.

my sentiments are similar to Borris, I quickly gave up on the idea and expense of retro fitting an 80l tank vs any perceived minimal benefit.

get the van and enjoy it, if It bothers you that much plan your fill ups before leaving the U.K. to avoid auto route filling stations.
Fuelling up is a necessity regardless of the size of tank, the larger 80l tank doesn’t remove that necessity it merely moves you down the road by 50 miles.

Last edited:
I hear you. We do stop regularly but often on the Autoroutes in peak school hols there are big queues at the filling stations - so it’s nicer to do non fuel stops. 2x5L cans would negate that but not sure that’s less hassle. I’m a clumsy chap.

You've owned previous Californias with the 80L tank. But the T6. 1 is supposed to be more fuel efficient so 70L on the T6. 1 probably has the same range as the 80L on the T5. 1.

I’ll just leave Mrs s2bear’s vanity case at home - probably worth 15 Litres of diesel over 300 miles right there! Obvs if she sees this post any options lists will cease to be relevant.

You've owned previous Californias with the 80L tank. But the T6. 1 is supposed to be more fuel efficient so 70L on the T6. 1 probably has the same range as the 80L on the T5. 1.
Providing those published figures are accurate.

From my experience.
The newer van is no more economical than the previous. If I’m brutally honest. I don’t think the latest vans are anymore fuel efficient than my old 2008 T5 2.5tdi.

My last van had the 80l tank and I really miss not having the same capacity/range in my current T6.

I personally wouldn’t order another van without the 80l tank. On longer trips it’s another 70-100 miles of real world driving or another hour plus before needing to stop to refill.
The old days, I could drive to Devon and back on a tank. With the T6 and the the 70l tank, I always need to refill, which I find most annoying…

Back