Electric mountain bike mid life crisis

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi. 58 year old living on the edge of the Peak District. I'd started looking at e bikes, soon wanted to try electric mountain bikes. Started at looking to spend £1k, but budget was rising £500 a day as I learned more. Just stopped myself at £3.5k by bagging a usually out of stock decathlon Stilus 2 which seem well reviewed and are local for repairs. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/27-5-inch-electric-all-mountain-bike-stilus-e-am-blue/_/R-p-X8623038

Immediate thoughts....
1) Will the wide tyres fit on my vw t5 bike rack? Can I adapt the rails if not?
2) am I mad? I walk a lot, enjoy occasional flat rides on my modest hybrid decathlon bike.
3) what clothing do I need to start out?
4) who will raise my daughter if I kill myself
5) any other tips for getting started? I needed a hobby, the Peaks are on my door step and I've got a Cali!

Last edited:
For £3.5k I’d have probably gone for a Specialized/Cube etc rather than decathlon.
There's still time. I reckoned spec for spec they struggled to compete, although I know the price has risen enormously recently from the days it was a steal. Bosch performance line cx 85nm motor and 625 w battery, rockshok etc. I admit to being overwhelmed by it all. 2 year warranty and good service is important.

Hey. I bought an emtb last year and never looked back. Don’t hesitate they are fantastic in every way. It’s still a workout I only use in eco mode. I would get a good spec and brand though as will hold its value better. The suspension and gears do matter. Look at the Merida e one sixty and trek rail. Check eBay they are always for sale

Not sure how the t5 bike rack differs from the thule wanderway but my husbands big tyres lay on the bars rather than go in the grooves. with the arm attached it hasn't come off yet, been all the way to scotland and back on motorways at speed. With that much expense, make sure you get a good strong lock if you are ever to leave it on the rack, we have a motorcycle lock, heavy but strong.
Get good quality clothing, last longer, more protective in the elements, you are in the Peak district after all. Padded shorts/mtb trousers and a good cycle specific waterproof jacket, good gloves. A pair of five tens are good on flat pedals.
Don't kill yourself, by taking it easily at first. If it looks difficult it is difficult, especially downhill singletrack. Perhaps go get some lessons or join an mtb beginners group, safety first.
Enjoy it, its about the thrill and fun

Hi. 58 year old living on the edge of the Peak District. I'd started looking at e bikes, soon wanted to try electric mountain bikes. Started at looking to spend £1k, but budget was ring £500 a day as I learned more. Just stopped myself at £3.5k by bagging a usually out of stock decathlon Stilus 2 which seem well reviewed and are local for repairs. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/27-5-inch-electric-all-mountain-bike-stilus-e-am-blue/_/R-p-X8623038

Immediate thoughts....
2) am I mad? I walk a lot, enjoy occasional flat rides on my modest hybrid decathlon bike.
5) any other tips for getting started? I needed a hobby, the Peaks are on my door step and I've got a Cali!
Your poor dog will never keep up!!!
That’s why I stuck with pedal power only, but was very tempted by them.
As I hiked an emtb and had a great day over in Glenlivet bike park.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Keep the suggestions coming, including if I've made a bad choice. I don't collect it 'til next weekend and can easily say 'no thanks'.

Last edited:
Hi, you wont regret it whichever bike you end up with. I run an ebike business and sell a lot of mid range eMTB and all will fit on the T5/6 racks without issue. Other than having to lift it up in the first place! Happy to make some recommendations on bikes if appropriate but your choice is not a bad one in my view

Go for it! Every kind of bike is nice (and sort of an exercise). I guess when you are new to "mountainbiking" then a workshop is a great start - otherwise use what you have (clothwise) and if possible test all kind of bikes. There are so many good brands out there and sometimes only the service at the local store makes a difference in long term.
Personal I looked at Cube Stereo's, Orbea's and Norco's.
I also like the adidas five tens ("trail cross" at the moment), flats from crankbrothers and the mallet enduro for click-pedal-shoes.IMG_2367.JPG

Last edited:
We all have our own risk reward ratio, the problem is that is shrinks as we get older. Once past fifty we start to believe things are dangerous, MTB is a great example.
You owe it to yourself to stretch your risk ratio by taking more……. risks or face the consequences (resulting to pope and slippers)

So buy the bike, get out and behave like you did as a big kid. Just don’t fall off, at our age it takes forever to fix yourself.

Decathlon is great, a jack of all trades. At £3.5K though I’d investigate some smaller independent outfits to find out about what you are NOT getting for your money.

Not an MTB, more a sort of geriatric beach cruiser, but my e-bike is the best thing I have bought for years and years.

Having not cycled seriously for over 50 years I got it last year for our 900 mile charity ride. It performed spectacularly well and has proved addictive. I can't keep off it, even, like this evening, it was just a "too nice an evening to waste" knee-jerk 7 mile impromptu spin around the local roads. I have been spending the last few days planning my next longterm camping activity, which is to cycle through part of every National park and AONB in the UK.

Ironically, even though it is my vehicle of choice for most small journeys I make, there is one short journey when I leave the bike at home. That's when I go to the gym :D The thought of emerging from the gym floor as a sweating, panting, wobbling wreck and then having to cycle home is just too mucho_O

I’ve got an eBike with that motor, battery and display. It’s a great bit of kit and will be a hoot to ride. Tyres will go on the Vw bike rack but it’s going to be very heavy to get it up there. I just bought a eBike specific buzz rack to put it on the tow bar. It might be easier to slam the seats forward and put the bike in the boot ( mine fits in with both wheels on). A trail centre might be a good place to start, just try a green/blue route and work your way up to black! Five 10 shoes are best for flat pedals.

There's still time. I reckoned spec for spec they struggled to compete, although I know the price has risen enormously recently from the days it was a steal. Bosch performance line cx 85nm motor and 625 w battery, rockshok etc. I admit to being overwhelmed by it all. 2 year warranty and good service is important.
Take a look at Haibikes too- we ended up buying two last year- comfort, ease, speed , performance——Yamaha motor/battery

Hi. 58 year old living on the edge of the Peak District. I'd started looking at e bikes, soon wanted to try electric mountain bikes. Started at looking to spend £1k, but budget was rising £500 a day as I learned more. Just stopped myself at £3.5k by bagging a usually out of stock decathlon Stilus 2 which seem well reviewed and are local for repairs. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/27-5-inch-electric-all-mountain-bike-stilus-e-am-blue/_/R-p-X8623038

Immediate thoughts....
Have a look at Giant, either the Fathom or Stance models. They use Yamaha motors and the Giant app is excellent for recording rides, set up etc.
Haibikes are also very good, using either Bosch or Yamaha motors.

I'm wondering if you are getting it because you think the idea is cool or because it would enable you to do something you wouldn't be able to achieve with a regular MTB? I have 2 MTBs, one for trails and the other for touring and I think eventually I might end up with an electric one as I get older, but I'm still holding off because l can't answer the question I posed for myself.

You can definitely do more trails or go further on an emtb.
I will get one at some point but Zebedee comes with me when touring/exploring and he’s to old to keep up with me on one.
Pedal power means he gets a break when I can’t cycle up.
Plus by then the batteries and weight will be even better.

Go for it! Every kind of bike is nice (and sort of an exercise). I guess when you are new to "mountainbiking" then a workshop is a great start - otherwise use what you have (clothwise) and if possible test all kind of bikes. There are so many good brands out there and sometimes only the service at the local store makes a difference in long term.
Personal I looked at Cube Stereo's, Orbea's and Norco's.
I also like the adidas five tens ("trail cross" at the moment), flats from crankbrothers and the mallet enduro for click-pedal-shoes.
+1 for the Five Tens, really good sticky soles feel almost like you’re clipped in but easier to put a foot down as you’re not!

Work well with DMR pedals.

image.jpg

Ebikes are great. I got a speedpedelec just over a year ago. The reason was that I got another job, 25 km away instead of 700 m, in the same town where husband works, so we could partly commute together. The idea was that I would go there by bike, and on the return trip commute together with bike on back of the car. So just a oneway trip. But it turns out that it is so much fun, that I hardly go ever with the car, my condition has improved a lot, and, most important, I can eat whatever I want! But I never would have considered doing a 25 km with a regular bike. My point is, you are likely to use it more when it is an electric.
I don’t know anything about mtb or downhilling or things like that. But it looks like fun. Get a good helmet I would say. And enjoy.

Immediate thoughts....
where are you based 2into1? im peak district too , near tideswell

Immediate thoughts....
i have a cube electric mountain bike and its flipping awesome, we travel to france a lot on holidays and go boating down the canals, so its great to use on campsites we are staying on whilst travelling down , then transfer to boat to chug down canals and use it with backpack to go to village shops etc to get more food and wine :)

Immediate thoughts....
Horse already bolted? For what it’s worth I think they have their place. We do not have elec bikes but sometimes I can imagine they would be useful, however at least we get maximum fitness benefit from every mile we do:eek: I think if we had electric bikes we might go further (good) or probably just the same but no pedalling (not so good).

I assume your set of questions are a little bit ‘tongue-in-cheek’ in which case just do what you feel happy with and enjoy yourself :thumb