Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack

Yes Amarillo I have the ramps at the end of the channel's however it still does not stay closed,I have to use a cable tie to hold it in place and just cut it off when i need to open it (not great for such an expensive item) ive thought about using the short arm and fiddled about with it however the rack would have to be slightly open to do this and I dont trust the arm alone to hold it as its not the best built of things.

im 5 foot 8 and to be able to secure the bikes using the arms I need a ladder or chair to do it properly and safely,things that are available at home but not on the road.

I dont trust it,I think its an accident waiting to happen.
I can understand the problem you have fitting bikes. I'm six foot and it is quite a stretch to fit the first bike.

If the rack is not staying up in the clips under normal driving, I think there must be a fault with the securing clips. Hitting a speed ramp too hard can bring down an unsecured rack which is why I always use the short arm to secure it and find it perfect for the job, although as you say the rack needs to be partially open to use it.

I recently bought a set of bungees from Halfrauds.
I keep them all in my van or on bicycles and find them all very useful. You could use a shorter one for the bike rack. (The very short ones I use to secure 12 volt electric cables to the awning support arms).

Not sure if this is compatible with a Cali or if it can be purchased in the UK. However I know that there’s a few people on the forum who like alternative options especially when they’re this different. The video at the bottom of the article is worth watching.

Looks like a game changer

Looks like a game changer
Website isn't great though. I can't work out if you can carry 3 bikes, or how to spec the different racks/boxes when you configure as a 'van'. Looks like you can swing it all out of the way and open the tailgate though...

Yakima stuff is great (we own a set of their Whispbars + Sup carrier); All their products are very well designed:

Roofbox.co.uk are their UK stockist, so worth asking them regarding compatibility.

Not sure if this is compatible with a Cali or if it can be purchased in the UK. However I know that there’s a few people on the forum who like alternative options especially when they’re this different. The video at the bottom of the article is worth watching.

It looks like it swings to the side and would allow access to the tailgate. Also looks like an obscene amount of twist levearage

It looks like it swings to the side and would allow access to the tailgate. Also looks like an obscene amount of twist levearage
Leverage! On the towball joint I meant

Looks good, except where's the lights number plate board?

The US have a different system to U.K. and Europe.
Go to regional variations at this link you will see two of the US options: 1 1/4” and 2” receivers.

These allow all sorts of options to be connected to the vehicle as well as a tow ball. They are simple, strong and effective but not legal in the U.K. for towing. They might be legal to fit one to be used for attaching a bike rack as it would be superior to a tow ball clamp. I would check with your insurer to see whether they would try to wriggle out of paying if there was a collision that somehow involved such a connection to the vehicle.