Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blind spot mirror for when driving on the continent

Sorry. A further question..... Can you tell me what blind spot means. You were alert, not tired and doing it as an experiment. Its not always that clinical and indeed turning the head and looking is known as a lifesave to motorcyclists, to check the blindspot...... Its an aid. Its not the silver bullet...

I like it..
If you're not alert and tired then should you be on a deresticred autobahn?

I'm out.

Hi Phillip. Here is Mrs ChrisandPenney52 offering me a cup of tea. Visible in our blind spot mirror but not, in this case, in the near side mirror. She's also in the area where I can't see her over my shoulder because the wardrobe is in the way. I'd say for a fiver it's worth the investment to give it a try - as a supplement to the suggestions from others. I wouldn't be without one2017-05-21 16.26.31.jpg

Call me pedantic but isn't a car/van/lorry a tad larger than the Mrs holding a brew?

Amazes me how many people on the motorway will sit in someones blindspot for some time. It makes me think most people aren't aware of them or don't think about other peoples blind spots.

The generally accepted procedure is said to be every 5-7 seconds. If that is followed you shouldn't end up with some vehicle that you are unaware of in the blind spot.
If, as MattBW says, some people lurk there (middle lane hoggers are the general culprits) then you should be wondering where that vehicle you saw in the mirrors has gone and have a look around.
Doesn't really make any difference which country you are in, as WG said mirrors can be adjusted to suit.
My main problem abroad is seeing ahead to overtake safely, not so much a problem on motorways but single lane roads. If you hang back enough to see then sometimes you are too far back to take advantage of the gap.

Seems to be a lot of information on how there is no such thing as a blind spot and how you should always know what is behind or beside you, none of which is really answering the original problem.
Side scan is Ok but not a retrofit option. Rear view camera means focusing on that then ahead then left mirror then ahead then right mirror then ahead then rear view etc. How much time is spent refocusing? Too much and something will be missed in front or elsewhere.
One of the potentially most difficult situations I have found is trying to keep track (on the continent) of is joining traffic on a slip road from your right, keeping pace/space from traffic in front, observing traffic behind and passing on your left. This all gets hectic when the slip road vehicles decide to push you over whilst trying to figure out if the one that was behind is now where and has the one that was beside now gone out of vision.

Seems to be a lot of information on how there is no such thing as a blind spot and how you should always know what is behind or beside you, none of which is really answering the original problem.
Side scan is Ok but not a retrofit option. Rear view camera means focusing on that then ahead then left mirror then ahead then right mirror then ahead then rear view etc. How much time is spent refocusing? Too much and something will be missed in front or elsewhere.
One of the potentially most difficult situations I have found is trying to keep track (on the continent) of is joining traffic on a slip road from your right, keeping pace/space from traffic in front, observing traffic behind and passing on your left. This all gets hectic when the slip road vehicles decide to push you over whilst trying to figure out if the one that was behind is now where and has the one that was beside now gone out of vision.

Well then simply reduce your speed if you can't compute what is going on around you.

Ever been on a speed awareness course?
The audience is full of people wanting to argue their case and justify driving to quickly.
The answer is always the same. Adjust your speed to the prevailing conditions.

Would an advanced police driver be blaming all and sundry, blind spots, merging traffic etc?

The OP blamed a lack of concentration, simple.

Well then simply reduce your speed if you can't compute what is going on around you.

Ever been on a speed awareness course?
The audience is full of people wanting to argue their case and justify driving to quickly.
The answer is always the same. Adjust your speed to the prevailing conditions.

Would an advanced police driver be blaming all and sundry, blind spots, merging traffic etc?

The OP blamed a lack of concentration, simple.
obviously you have been on a speed awareness course as an option to being fined and having points.

Generally I find the problem is caused by 'speeding' drivers when driving within the legal limits. Must admit that the problem disappears when driving illegally as nobody or very few drivers are overtaking. I now drive to the legally set restrictions.

Back