The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi
I’m just looking for some feed back on brandrup extreme cab curtains, looking at pics it looks like one side is material and the other is foil.
Will they be ok to fold for storage? All I could find was most people with them store them under roof bed.
Will the windscreen foil get damaged over time from folding?
Van I bought came with the standard brandrup foil ones and the foil is damaged from folding, are the extreme once more flexible?

The windscreen one fits on a Cali top bed Matress without folding.
The 'extreme' model has grey fabric on the inside which is a nice touch. The windscreen cover has a separate cloth flap (separate from the screen foil) that seals against the dashboard I think the idea is to create an interim gap.... Colder than inside the cab but warmer than the foil against the screen, to minimise condensation.

I’ve got a club joker so done the opposite to you
The windscreen one fits on a Cali top bed Matress without folding.
The 'extreme' model has grey fabric on the inside which is a nice touch. The windscreen cover has a separate cloth flap (separate from the screen foil) that seals against the dashboard I think the idea is to create an interim gap.... Colder than inside the cab but warmer than the foil against the screen, to minimise condensation.
ive got a club joker now so done the opposite to you!
They look good just need to know if the foil side will with stand being folded or rolled as only have space above cab to store bedding and blinds.
Anyone got a set on here?

ive got a club joker now so done the opposite to you!
The jury is still out on that issue!
They look good just need to know if the foil side will with stand being folded or rolled as only have space above cab to store bedding and blinds.
Anyone got a set on here?
I think the main material is similar to the standard brandrup item. I don't think they'll do well repeatedly being folded and subject to the temperatures often encountered in the roof space. Rolling up would be a lot better, but obviously take up valuable space in the 'smurf' space.
Do you particularly want internal screens?

I tend to wild camp a lot so prefer internal blinds for that.
I have a external cover which I use on winter campsites, but don’t like using it when wild camping.
I may just retro fit the A pillar built in blinds.
The van came with brandrup standard internal screen covers, and the foil has broken in places where it’s been folded.
Or even the cab curtain from the Cali 5.1 if I can find some for sale (not the horrid old pile type though).
Are you missing the smurf?! I’m loving the extra space.

Are you missing the smurf?! I’m loving the extra space.
I miss it when I camp, but now I've just one vehicle I'm happy with my choice. The complexity and fragility of the T6 and the VW Cali build is more of a worry vs the T4 simplicity and Westy build quality.

Although my old T4 Exclusive and a T6 Joker may look similar, I think there is a big difference in the drive experience (?). I'm thinking of that 2ft long manual gear change and just 102hp vs the DSG with 150/204hp.

I’ve had a few calis and transporters all manual, this is my first dsg and it’s a 150 WOW amazing not sure I’ll ever go back to a manual!
The thing is 4motion too so no spin up just feels like driving a Cali, the only disappointing thing is when you get out of it and see the outside. Cali blows it away on outside looks!
I was using my Cali as a work van more than camping as I’m a electrician and only had one vehicle and it wasn’t a good thing. So the smurf is making me get an old little van.
Intend to go off traveling for longer periods and the layout of the joker is perfect for my needs.
Just need some descent blinds!!!!

I have a couple of friends with Exclusives and think the layout is great, I’ve been looking at the T6 Club Joker and the layout is not as good imo and what’s that toilet door all about, having said that it would make the short list when Thentime comes to change, just don’t look at it on the outside especially from the rear, every time I do something inside me says don’t do it

I have a couple of friends with Exclusives and think the layout is great, I’ve been looking at the T6 Club Joker and the layout is not as good imo and what’s that toilet door all about, having said that it would make the short list when Thentime comes to change, just don’t look at it on the outside especially from the rear, every time I do something inside me says don’t do it
I agree with looks, the thing is your splitty is stunning on the outside blows a Cali and most vehicles out of the water, but a classic should be drooled over!
My joker is so I can drool over the views and wild camp for longer as campsites in the uk aren’t my favoute thing.

You only really need to use one of the bi fold doors when using toilet, both are really to make the shower cubicle.
The upper bed is amazing, as I’m 6.2 and all the vans with traverse beds I find are to short for me.

I agree with looks, the thing is your splitty is stunning on the outside blows a Cali and most vehicles out of the water, but a classic should be drooled over!
My joker is so I can drool over the views and wild camp for longer as campsites in the uk aren’t my favoute thing.

You only really need to use one of the bi fold doors when using toilet, both are really to make the shower cubicle.
The upper bed is amazing, as I’m 6.2 and all the vans with traverse beds I find are to short for me.

I use my T6 Cali for the majority of my camping these days, like my comfort to much now, however I do believe in using the spit for camping but it’s easier in good weather, will be camping this weekend with friends and a couple of them will be in splits

Last edited:
Back