Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridgestone Turanza E300

Ian-s

Ian-s

IanS
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience of owning / using Bridgestone Turanza E300 tyres ? I am considering them because I understand they have good ride comfort and noise qualities, perhaps at the expense of a little tyre life. Any feed back greatly appreciated.

Good afternoon,

Those tyres are on my van (I believe they are installed by VW as standard by many vans).

In try and good road conditions the tyres are ok. I never had other tyres to compare about noise level etc. Also I only have 16,700 km on the clock they are not really used a lot.

Never the less I want to get rid of those tyres as soon as possible. Here are the reasons for it:

Got stuck in wed grass.
In Mai of last year we visited Emo Court House in Co. Laois. The weather was wonderful, but it was raining the day before. The normal car park was full so we parked the van on the side of the road like everybody else. The side of the road was grass just 3 or 4 cm high, the ground was level. A car was parked in front of me and behind. It took me 10 minutes to get out of there! The tyres lost the grip totally, as it was standing on soap. Trying to get out I always had to ensure that the van won't move into the cars in front or back. I drive since 42 years, something like this never ever happened to me (well, at least not int he summer).

Front wheel spin
If it is a wee bit wet it is so easy to spin the front wheels. If I am forced to accelerate onto a main road for instance the wheels will spin, even in the 2nd gear! Again, I believe it is the lack of grip that the Bridgestone tyres have.

At the moment I save for a new set of tyres. I plan to get 4 Season tyres. Either the Michelin Cross Climate+ or Good Year vector 4seasons gen2. I am not sure. I prefer to get them installed by my local VW dealer, but they are rather expensive.

May I use this opportunity to ask where people get new tyres for the van intalled? By the local VW dealer or with the local tyre dealer?

Regards,
Eberhard

Im taking the brand new factory tyres off my cali on Saturday they maybe E300 but i wont know until friday when I pick it up - <100miles I guess. Im going to sell them and include free fitting and balance while the buyer waits. Im in Cheshire if your interested.

Good afternoon,

Those tyres are on my van (I believe they are installed by VW as standard by many vans).

In try and good road conditions the tyres are ok. I never had other tyres to compare about noise level etc. Also I only have 16,700 km on the clock they are not really used a lot.

Never the less I want to get rid of those tyres as soon as possible. Here are the reasons for it:

Got stuck in wed grass.
In Mai of last year we visited Emo Court House in Co. Laois. The weather was wonderful, but it was raining the day before. The normal car park was full so we parked the van on the side of the road like everybody else. The side of the road was grass just 3 or 4 cm high, the ground was level. A car was parked in front of me and behind. It took me 10 minutes to get out of there! The tyres lost the grip totally, as it was standing on soap. Trying to get out I always had to ensure that the van won't move into the cars in front or back. I drive since 42 years, something like this never ever happened to me (well, at least not int he summer).

Front wheel spin
If it is a wee bit wet it is so easy to spin the front wheels. If I am forced to accelerate onto a main road for instance the wheels will spin, even in the 2nd gear! Again, I believe it is the lack of grip that the Bridgestone tyres have.

At the moment I save for a new set of tyres. I plan to get 4 Season tyres. Either the Michelin Cross Climate+ or Good Year vector 4seasons gen2. I am not sure. I prefer to get them installed by my local VW dealer, but they are rather expensive.

May I use this opportunity to ask where people get new tyres for the van intalled? By the local VW dealer or with the local tyre dealer?

Regards,
Eberhard

I fit my own which I appreciate is unusual but Im the only one I trust. I like to do my own balance a legacy of my high performance cars and the inability of many tyre fitters to understand where to place the jack.

I would say go to your local respected tyre place just do some research first. Cali tyres are easy to fit.

Legin, thank you for your reply.

I am not so familiar with the mechanics of modern vehicles. But, if the tyres are changed (from summer tyres to all season tyres for example) does the "software" have to be updated / changed? (Sorry for the stupid question).

That the tyre pressure monitor system needs to be re-set is clear and easy to do. But all other function, are they rely on the exact information what tyres are installed?

Regards,
Eberhard

Eberhard, The software on some cars is able to be user adjusted to suit running a tyre that has a speed specification below the factory standard tyre. My understanding is that it merely limits the top speed of the vehicle.
This is only really the case for full winters or some of the all terrain A/T style tyres which are rated lower than the summer tyres for speed.
All the cross climate tyres I have seen meet or exceeded the specification for load index and speed of the summer tyre so you can just fit them.
The tyre shop should always ensure you meet the specification as to run below this invalidates your insurance. Dont fall into the trap of saying I will just drive slower as it doesnt work like that from an insurance viewpoint so has to be declared.

So to keep it simple for you the tyre should be the same size eg 235 55 17, have an equal or higher load rating 103 and speed rating Y. All this data is written on the tyre. If you buy Michelin cross climate or goodyear all seasons there is no issue as they all meet the requirement.

If your ever near to Chester i have a friend with a tyre place who can be trusted and supply / fit or i can do it for you.

Eberhard, The software on some cars is able to be user adjusted to suit running a tyre that has a speed specification below the factory standard tyre. My understanding is that it merely limits the top speed of the vehicle.
This is only really the case for full winters or some of the all terrain A/T style tyres which are rated lower than the summer tyres for speed.
All the cross climate tyres I have seen meet or exceeded the specification for load index and speed of the summer tyre so you can just fit them.
The tyre shop should always ensure you meet the specification as to run below this invalidates your insurance. Dont fall into the trap of saying I will just drive slower as it doesnt work like that from an insurance viewpoint so has to be declared.

So to keep it simple for you the tyre should be the same size eg 235 55 17, have an equal or higher load rating 103 and speed rating Y. All this data is written on the tyre. If you buy Michelin cross climate or goodyear all seasons there is no issue as they all meet the requirement.

If your ever near to Chester i have a friend with a tyre place who can be trusted and supply / fit or i can do it for you.
My B pillar sticker specifies Load Rating 103 and Speed Rating H .

The Original VW supplied tyres had a Speed Rating of Y.

My B pillar sticker specifies Load Rating 103 and Speed Rating H .

The Original VW supplied tyres had a Speed Rating of Y.

The numbers were an example but close enough to be taken literally i guess. I will see what it has on it when I pick up tomorrow.

I am not so familiar with the mechanics of modern vehicles. But, if the tyres are changed (from summer tyres to all season tyres for example) does the "software" have to be updated / changed? (Sorry for the stupid question).

That the tyre pressure monitor system needs to be re-set is clear and easy to do. But all other function, are they rely on the exact information what tyres are installed?

Regards,
Eberhard
When I put All Season tyres on I had the same puzzle but as far as I could tell all that happens when you select winter tyres option is that it then requires you to set the tyres speed limit at which point the Cali will sound a speed warning.
I did try the the two settings and saw no difference in fuel or performance characteristics. I did expect slower acceleration with winter setting but no difference hence conclusion that it's just the speed warning that comes into play.
As the all season tyres have the same speed rating as summer tyres I just left it on summer/normal tyre setting.
Pure Winter tyres often have a speed limit restriction.

Last edited:

Regards,
Eberhard

You don't really need to reset the tyre pressure monitoring system if you change tyres as ot monitors the pressure difference in the tyres, not the actual pressure so if all the pressures are correct bo need to reset.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for all the replies.

The way I understood is: In general there is no "settings" so to speak to amend when changing from Summer tyres (in my case Bridgestone Turanza 300 ER 103 V) to All season tyres (in my case Michelin Cross Climate+). I just need to ensure that the size, the load and the speed configuration is the same.

If we won't have snow this winter I will change in March, latest April to the Michelin (getting a few kilometers out of the Bridgestone). That will be in time when we make the final arrangement for our Europe tour.

Regards,
Eberhard

I am still currently on the original tyres that came with the vehicle 2015.

They are Bridgestone Turanza 235/55R17 103V
we have done 23,837miles or 38,139kms I did replace one as it was worn on the corner due to poor wheel alignment.
Just had MOT and tyres are still within legal limit.

We have been on wet and boggy grass a few times no real snow or mud. We have not been stuck although we are 4motion. Hope this helps.

Back