Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 255-45-r18-103Y XL

I had these in this size. They wore out relatively quickly and were really terrible in snow.
They would probably be ok in the UK climate, but I would not buy them again.

The choice is limited in that tyre size especially for all season tyres. I just replaced mine with Michelin Cross Climates, which people on this forum seem to rate highly.
On the Oponeo website there is a tool to enable you to identify other compatible tyre sizes to fit your wheel diameter, this can give a wider selection to choose from.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3. Have used them for the last few years, good in the wet & mud, ok in snow - they have an open tread pattern. Quiet on the motorway & no harder ride than the 16" wheels I had before

I’ve just ordered a set from Costco for my rears as the existing Goodyear Eagle F1’s are near the limit.
A bit more money, but fully fitted price a smidge over £300 for the pair.
(I trust the team at Costco with my wheels too.)

My experience of all season tyres has been great in the past with Michelin Cross Climates on a range of Volvo awd’s, so it seemed a natural choice to seek this type of tyre for the Cali when needed.

I too have 255/45/18’s and don’t really want to change this size away from OEM.
I’ve found Cross Climates on Opneo but upwards of £179 delivered only.

I’ve seen good reviews of the A005’s from Transporter owners whilst doing my homework.

Time will tell I guess.

I have recently fitted 18" wheels and A005’s but due to the restrictions I haven't used the Cali much. We drove to Crosby Beach last weekend and the M6 was extremely wet. The A005’s felt very good especially going through running/standing water across the motorway. Still early days yet.

Hi Rowls
not sure for your tyre size but recommended are the Michelin Crossclimates, I put them on end of last year, a lot more sure footed than the oems.

We have cross climates on both our A3 and A6. Very happy, especially when it snowed and i stamped on the throttle of the quattro! ;)

My front tyres need replacing , is it OK to put a pair of cross climates on the front only as the rears have about another 8k miles left in them?

My front tyres need replacing , is it OK to put a pair of cross climates on the front only as the rears have about another 8k miles left in them?
My understanding is no. You should change all 4.

I thought you had To change in pairs if you are replacing a tyre type, so replace front 2 or rear 2 ? I may be wrong ?

Is that any tyre combination? Say Bridgestone on front and Dunlop's on the back ?
I'm no expert, clearly, but I think it is because the Michelin are a fundamentally different type of tyre (all season) compared to the standard "summer" tyre. Happy to be corrected. :thumb

I've just read the honest John link, it's starts with replacing the back tyres to then states the fronts were replaced!
General census is new tyres go on the back and move the worn rears to the front.
There used to be a YouTube video from fifth gear where they demonstrated the effects of worn tyres. All to do with the pendulum effect from memory.

Personnaly I would be happy to put a pair on the back and move the summer tyres to the front until they wear out. This has been done to death before and there doesn’t appear to be any hard and fast, other than you shouldn’t mix on an axle.

Just purchased 4 new Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO (255/45/R18 103Y XL). The Evo is the updated version of the A005 just released. Be interesting to see how they perform.

6D19C1BC-FF47-4AB1-B9E3-EBBD4E628A1C.jpeg6D19C1BC-FF47-4AB1-B9E3-EBBD4E628A1C.jpegPfft!
Just ordered another pair. Too late to consider the evo, as I was too close to wait.
Be interested to see any difference. Seems it’s more of a compound tweak.