Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bring back public flogging!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Whilst loading the little herberts into our Beach for the school run this morning, I noticed that the rear off side hub cap looked rather odd.
image.jpeg

Upon closer inspection, it became obvious that one of our fellow members of society had taken it upon themselve to swop their crabby old cap with one of my nice shiny new ones. It should look like this:
image.jpeg

Whilst hanging, drawing and quartering is probably a step too far, a damn good flogging on the village green might at least make me feel a bit better. The only trouble would be:
A. Catching the scumbag in the first place and,
B. The never ending howls of protest from the "Oh he/she has had an unfortunate upbringing and should therfore be given love, understanding and a free holiday" brigade.

If he/she had just nicked it, that would have been enough to irritate me, but to replace it with their horrid manky replacement was tantamount to putting two fingers up to me as well. It is that that has really wound me up.

Now being serious for a moment, I can already hear the VW parts assistant saying, "Sorry mate, we only sell them as a set of four and they are a squillion pounds plus VAT".

That's it, one of life's minor irritations that I have now got off my chest.

:Nailbiting:headbang:rage:(

It looks
Whilst loading the little herberts into our Beach for the school run this morning, I noticed that the rear off side hub cap looked rather odd.
View attachment 25918

Upon closer inspection, it became obvious that one of our fellow members of society had taken it upon themselve to swop their crabby old cap with one of my nice shiny new ones. It should look like this:
View attachment 25920

Whilst hanging, drawing and quartering is probably a step too far, a damn good flogging on the village green might at least make me feel a bit better. The only trouble would be:
A. Catching the scumbag in the first place and,
B. The never ending howls of protest from the "Oh he/she has had an unfortunate upbringing and should therfore be given love, understanding and a free holiday" brigade.

If he/she had just nicked it, that would have been enough to irritate me, but to replace it with their horrid manky replacement was tantamount to putting two fingers up to me as well. It is that that has really wound me up.

Now being serious for a moment, I can already hear the VW parts assistant saying, "Sorry mate, we only sell them as a set of four and they are a squillion pounds plus VAT".

That's it, one of life's minor irritations that I have now got off my chest.

:Nailbiting:headbang:rage:(
to me like the shiny top covering has fallen off (or been nicked) and you are left with the base of the cap covered in the remnants of the glue.

Is there any chance that this cap comes in two parts and the outer shiny bit has come off leaving the plastic inner in place?

Who was that band in the 80s that inspired an epidemic of theft of VW badges? Beasty Boys? Maybe they are making a comeback?

Can you get them out with the wheel on thought you had to pus push them out when the wheel off. (ref my Thunders on our old T5)
If taken would the person taking have the compacity to put an old one back ,

more questions than answers

The outer Chrome Plastic section has fallen off. I don't think you can remove without the wheel coming off.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments.

I have also now come to the conclusion that what has happened here is that the shiny outer cap has become detached, whether by accident or otherwise. I would still like someone flogged either for nicking it or for making a sub standard component. Bring back the cat!

Should be just a simple warrantee claim.

It is a simple replacement.

Pop along to your local VW dealer and buy a new set of caps, which of course cannot be sold without the wheels, which also need replacement nuts and whilst your at it you need new bits of axle to hang them off.

A simple replacement that £3k would soon sort out :shocked

Can you get them out with the wheel on thought you had to pus push them out when the wheel off. (ref my Thunders on our old T5)
If taken would the person taking have the compacity to put an old one back ,

more questions than answers
You can use duck tape to get them off, saves removing the wheels. That's how I did it when I replaced our manky ones (I'd bought the replacements from breeze on eBay by the way, not pinched from someone else!)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You can use duck tape to get them off, saves removing the wheels. That's how I did it when I replaced our manky ones (I'd bought the replacements from breeze on eBay by the way, not pinched from someone else!)

Have you been to Canterbury recently?

Pop along to your local VW dealer and buy a new set of caps, which of course cannot be sold without the wheels, which also need replacement nuts and whilst your at it you need new bits of axle to hang them off.

Yes, this all sounds far too familiar.

"I'd like a left handed wangle grommet for a Mk 2 oojamaflip please"
"Sorry Sir, If we can still get them, we only sell the complete sub assembly and (sharp intake of breath) that's going to cost you"

Last edited:
Have you been to Canterbury recently?
Ha! no, it wasn't me guv!

Thought it might come in handy if/when VW refuse to cover under warranty.

Maybe better to do yourself anyway, I had the caps changed on my previous VW Scirocco and the dealer butchered my wheels with a screwdriver swapping the caps over!

Don't forget that the kitchen will need to be removed.

Ha! no, it wasn't me guv!

Thought it might come in handy if/when VW refuse to cover under warranty.

Maybe better to do yourself anyway, I had the caps changed on my previous VW Scirocco and the dealer butchered my wheels with a screwdriver swapping the caps over!

Muppets!

Fun though this thread is they are not that expensive to sort.

I got some spare ones from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QU74EF4/?tag=eliteelect-21

£20 for 4.

Actually I never used them so I have some in the garage needing a new home if I can find them.
Thanks Michael,
I've already sorted out a replacement.

This is a very insignificant issue but has raised an interesting point. VW will not replace them under warrantee. Why not? Because they say that they are a wear and tear item!

If you do buy any make sure they're genuine VW ones as per MichaelB's post.
I bought some cheaper ones and they discoloured within a few months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hubcap saga update:

Went to our local VW Commercial shed today and asked them to replace said hub cap with a shiny new one under the vehicles comprehensive 3 year (extended to 5 year) warrantee. Answer "Sorry, but it's not covered under the warrantee. It's a wear and tear item and unless the vehicle has done less than 5k miles and is less than six months old VW won't replace it".

After having a bit of a Victor Meldrew moment, I then phoned VW Commercial Customer Services and they confirmed what the chap in the shed had told me.

This raises some fairly dull and uninteresting questions in my mind:
1. What wear and tear does a hub cap actually under go?
2. If it has fallen to bits after only one year then was it fit for purpose? They said that they had never seen one that had come apart.
3. Given the millions of VW vehicles on the roads, if it were normal for wear and tear to cause their products to self destruct after only one year then wouldn't the roads side verges be littered with VW hub cap badges? As they are not then this item must have been faulty and VW are talking complete bo||*#.
4. Just how much else isn't covered under their comprehensive warrantee?

Still, they did generously offer me a replacement at a discounted price of around £15. Will it last for the next twelve months without falling apart?

OK, this is an extremely insignificant issue and £15 isn't going to break the bank, however it's the principal that has annoyed me. It just shouldn't have gone west at all. VWs response is dissapointing but not surprising. Given what these vehicles cost, you would have thought that VW would take greater care not to upset their customer base for the sake of petty penny pinching like this.

"I just don't believe it!" :punch

Last edited:
VW don't care about their customers, we've seen plenty of evidence to make that plain.
If none of us on this forum ever bought another one of their vehicles they wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Still it could be worse they could be Renault, I had several hilarious discussions with my local service manager when we had a trafic

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When our Skoda Yeti was in for a service at 2 years old I remarked on the slightly scabby hub cap badges, new ones fitted without a murmur. Great service.

Back