Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bring back public flogging!

When our Skoda Yeti was in for a service at 2 years old I remarked on the slightly scabby hub cap badges, new ones fitted without a murmur. Great service.
We have a Superb estate and the reception that we've received at our Skoda garage has always been brilliant. I had to take it in recently to have the VW emissions thing reprogrammed. The trouble was, I turned up a day early and insisted that I had the right day, which it turned out, I hadn't. They were great. They took the car straight into the workshops, gave us coffee and sticky buns. When the job was done they sent us away with a whole host of skoda gifts.....umberella, mugs etc etc. Whilst We didn't really need the trinkets, the customer service and the pleasant way in which they dealt with us was very welcome. VW Commercial take note.

And for anyone who is interested, the reprogram hasn't made any noticable difference in how the car runs, accelerates or its fuel consumption.

Superb by name and Superb by nature.

Whilst loading the little herberts into our Beach for the school run this morning, I noticed that the rear off side hub cap looked rather odd.
View attachment 25918

Upon closer inspection, it became obvious that one of our fellow members of society had taken it upon themselve to swop their crabby old cap with one of my nice shiny new ones. It should look like this:
View attachment 25920

Whilst hanging, drawing and quartering is probably a step too far, a damn good flogging on the village green might at least make me feel a bit better. The only trouble would be:
A. Catching the scumbag in the first place and,
B. The never ending howls of protest from the "Oh he/she has had an unfortunate upbringing and should therfore be given love, understanding and a free holiday" brigade.

If he/she had just nicked it, that would have been enough to irritate me, but to replace it with their horrid manky replacement was tantamount to putting two fingers up to me as well. It is that that has really wound me up.

Now being serious for a moment, I can already hear the VW parts assistant saying, "Sorry mate, we only sell them as a set of four and they are a squillion pounds plus VAT".

That's it, one of life's minor irritations that I have now got off my chest.

:Nailbiting:headbang:rage:(
Had the same happen to our EOS a few years back, fortunately not repeated as yet, fingers crossed.
Small consolation that they give you the old tatty ones. Insult to injury really.

Just to make me feel better I put the reg no on the inside with a permanent marker on the new ones.

Yes, I think that the difference in the quality of service is to do with the Cali being 'just a van' whereas the Skoda is a car. The car side of VW seems to work well on looking after customers (I did say seems) but if you have a van then you are at them mercy of the Commercial side and they seem to have no idea. Maybe because many of the people they deal with are drivers and not owners and don't have to be courted as a future customer. Who's to know why??
This is a regular issue but sadly things never seem to improve (unless you have a Skoda like Borris)!

Well it looks the silver tops from four pints of milk and a pritt stick would be a cheaper option and they'd all match..... or gold top if you are feeling flash.

Ain't life fun, I have a Cali and don't use it except for riding around visiting my Children, Grand Children, and my three Great Great Grand Children.
However why sell such a great vehicle?????????? Better than my avatar Ferrari tractor
Timber

I bought a set of metallic blue / silvers from eBay for about a fiver to go with my new Sportlines - look fantastic

Hubcap saga update:

Went to our local VW Commercial shed today and asked them to replace said hub cap with a shiny new one under the vehicles comprehensive 3 year (extended to 5 year) warrantee. Answer "Sorry, but it's not covered under the warrantee. It's a wear and tear item and unless the vehicle has done less than 5k miles and is less than six months old VW won't replace it".

After having a bit of a Victor Meldrew moment, I then phoned VW Commercial Customer Services and they confirmed what the chap in the shed had told me.

This raises some fairly dull and uninteresting questions in my mind:
1. What wear and tear does a hub cap actually under go?
2. If it has fallen to bits after only one year then it clearly wasn't fit for purpose. They said that they had never seen one that had come apart.
3. Given the millions of VW vehicles on the roads, if it were normal for wear and tear to cause their products to self destruct after only one year then the roads side verges would be littered with VW hub cap badges, As they are not then this item must have been faulty and VW are talking complete bo||*#.
4. Just how much else isn't covered under their comprehensive warrantee.

Still, they did generously offer me a replacement at a discounted price of around £15. Will it last for the next twelve months without falling apart?

OK, this is an extremely insignificant issue and £15 isn't going to break the bank, however it's the principal that has annoyed me. It just shouldn't have gone west at all. VWs response is dissapointing but not surprising. Given what these vehicles cost, you would have thought that VW would take greater care not to upset their customer base for the sake of petty penny pinching like this.

"I just don't believe it!" :punch
Makes one wonder what is actually covered by the gaurentee?

I note that this thread has been moved to the "Light hearted chit chat" forum.

Whilst originally the tone of my thread was deliberately light hearted to represent the miner nature of this particular issue, a serious point has been highlighted by this thread.

What else isn't covered by the manufacturers warrantee?

You would expect any vehicle manufacturer not to cover components that are subject to wear and tear. However, when they use that same excuse to cover other parts that are clearly not subject to any form of W and T, that's when its right to question what else isn't covered. This same query also extends to the extended warrantee that people opt to pay extra for. If this thread is to remain in this forum then I feal that this issue would make an interesting separate thread in the "General VW T5 and T6 California chat" forum.

Items found not to be covered under either the manufacturers or the extended warrantee.

Once more feed back has been received, a more accurate picture of the worth of their warrantees might become clear. A point that Cali owners might wish to know about.

You take the warrantee for granted until you need to use it. To find that the manufacturers warrantee isn't what it should be should concern all owners.

When you read the detail in any manufactures warranty you will be surprised by the excluded items. VW are no worse than any big name.

Back