Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top Bungee

Collieboy

Collieboy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Folks Looking for some advice please for a beginner

Do you leave the pop top bungee on permanently or just fit when weather is windy?
I wasn't sure whether the bungee will end up marking or staining the bellows if left on permanently.

Hi,

Still to fit mine but my understanding is that if stay on permanently.

Hi Folks Looking for some advice please for a beginner

Do you leave the pop top bungee on permanently or just fit when weather is windy?
I wasn't sure whether the bungee will end up marking or staining the bellows if left on permanently.

Permanently fitted. I’ve not heard of anyone removing and refitting. Seems hardly necessary on a T6

I think most people leave it on all the time. It is a bit of a faff to put on, especially on your own, so fit & forget. When you put it on, start at the back and get someone else to hold the loose end. The taller person can throw or put the plastic piece behind the metal struts that hold the roof up. Hold it firmly or it can fly back and hit the other person. When you get round to the back again put the loose end into the clip but making sure it is not too tight. You should be able to push your hand behind the cord against the canvas without too much force. Move the cord up so it is ½ way up the canvas.
If you come to lower the roof in a hurry in the dark in the early hours of the morning because the wind has unexpectedly become very strong, you'll be grateful you fitted it.
We had the last one on for 2 years and didn't make any marks. The bungee cord was carefully picked to maintain it's elasticity and not mark the canvas.

Hi,

Still to fit mine but my understanding is that if stay on permanently.
Correct, but don't forget it to fit it, hate for you to have an incident with an unused bungee to hand. In my opinion it is worth fitting to all T5/T6 Calis. :thumb

By the way, when the roof is down the bungee is loose so it is doubtful it will mark the canvas.

It has nothing to do with windy or not ;)
It's there to help to fold the canvas in when lowering the roof.
As for marking the canvas , yes when you have a bungee on for a few years and you remove it there are visual marks , but the canvas wears either way.

When fitting, just tie a length of string to one end then you can pull it around the roof single handed without any worries of it springing back. Join the ends then remove the string, no need for a second person.
And leave it on!

Don’t rely on a bungee to keep bellows from getting caught in the arms.
One day at the coast the gusts managed to get a wad of material blown into the mechanism, in spite of my bungee.
For some reason I got out to check half way and was very glad I did. Had I not then was about to get a good scissoring to my material.. A bungee is not foolproof and now check by sticking my head up inside to see what is going on.
Have removed bungee as think it looks a bit of an afterthought.

Mine remain's in situ but as Eddie says it is not eagle proof in heigh winds
you also need to keep sn eye on it as it will loose its pull over time

As said above the bungee is not foolproof however I would not be without it as it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. You still need to be careful when lowering the roof with it on, we have also replaced ours with one of the new grey ones which does not stand out as much.

Thanks for all the replies Will be fitting before our first adventure and leaving in situ as most recommend.
And thanks for the warning its not a cure all.

Thanks for all the replies Will be fitting before our first adventure and leaving in situ as most recommend.
And thanks for the warning its not a cure all.

As EddieEagle said, put your head up inside the roof as it comes down and watch the 4 folds coming inwards. Have a window and/or a door open on the down wind side so the air displaced by the roof coming down can get out and make sure that a gust of wind doesn't inflate the canvas area again pushing the folds outwards not inwards.

In my opinion it is worth fitting to all T5/T6 Calis. :thumb
I'm not convinced it is necessary on a Beach (or Coast) where the pop top is supported by gas struts.

The main danger with the Beach (and Coast) is trapping the canvas in the securing clips, and a bungee does nothing to protect against this risk.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

mines on permanently.

Bought one, never used it.

Even if I fitted it I would still pop my head through the hatch to check all is well while pulling the roof down.

Maybe it's of more use to Ocean owners who like to close the roof from the comfort of their drivers seat.

I agree with Tom, on a Beach the clips are more of an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bought one, never used it.

Even if I fitted it I would still pop my head through the hatch to check all is well while pulling the roof down.

Maybe it's of more use to Ocean owners who like to close the roof from the comfort of their drivers seat.

I agree with Tom, on a Beach the clips are more of an issue.

:Iamsorry But must Disagree.
In both the Beach and SE/Ocean, and we are Not Talking about lowering the roof in windy weather or not having adequate windows or doors open during the lowering process, the plastic slats on the sides and front are designed to fold inwards and hence fold the canvas inwards. These can, under certain circumstances, Fold Outwards and that is what the Bungee Cord is designed to do, make the slats fold inwards. The canvas should then fold inwards.
Anyone who Lowers the Roof, on either vehicle, without a visual check internally or better still externally is foolish in the extreme, whether the weather is calm or blowing a Force 10 gale.

Anyone who Lowers the Roof, on either vehicle, without a visual check internally or better still externally is foolish in the extreme, whether the weather is calm or blowing a Force 10 gale.

And will get caught out and catch the bellows. Twice even will cord in situ I had to stop the lowering due to folding issue by looking no damaged caused

:Iamsorry But must Disagree.
In both the Beach and SE/Ocean, and we are Not Talking about lowering the roof in windy weather or not having adequate windows or doors open during the lowering process, the plastic slats on the sides and front are designed to fold inwards and hence fold the canvas inwards. These can, under certain circumstances, Fold Outwards and that is what the Bungee Cord is designed to do, make the slats fold inwards. The canvas should then fold inwards.
Disagree with what? I never suggested anybody should lower the roof without checking. I'm still to be persuaded that the bungee is essential if the necessary precautions are taken but I'll bow you your wisdom.

Disagree with what? I never suggested anybody should lower the roof without checking. I'm still to be persuaded that the bungee is essential if the necessary precautions are taken but I'll bow you your wisdom.

The fact that SE/Ocean Owners lower the roof from the comfort of their seat. The roof will only lower half way. It then stops automatically and starts beeping for 30 secs, for a Check, then you have to press again to continue. If you continue without checking then you deserve whatever may transpire.
At least we don’t have a problem with catching the canvas in any clips.
The Bungee is an aid only to ensure the slats start folding in the right direction.

The fact that SE/Ocean Owners lower the roof from the comfort of their seat. The roof will only lower half way. It then stops automatically and starts beeping for 30 secs, for a Check, then you have to press again to continue. If you continue without checking then you deserve whatever may transpire.
At least we don’t have a problem with catching the canvas in any clips.
The Bungee is an aid only to ensure the slats start folding in the right direction.
My comment about Ocean owners lowing "from the comfort of their seat" was flippant and not meant to be taken seriously. Maybe the use of emoticons would help.....

Agreed. With a Beach (and Coast) the person lowering the bellows needs to have their head in the bellows to pull down the lowering bar - so an internal check is guaranteed. Someone checking externally is a bonus, but, in my opinion, not necessary. Once 90% lowered the canvas needs pulling in and tucking behind the clips before the final tug down.

Still - I've managed some very idiotic lowering attempts, without Ill-effect, such as attempting to clip down with the roof topper in place.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Agreed. With a Beach (and Coast) the person lowering the bellows needs to have their head in the bellows to pull down the lowering bar - so an internal check is guaranteed. Someone checking externally is a bonus, but, in my opinion, not necessary. Once 90% lowered the canvas needs pulling in and tucking behind the clips before the final tug down.

Still - I've managed some very idiotic lowering attempts, without Ill-effect, such as attempting to clip down with the roof topper in place.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I didn’t buy a bungee and had never heard of them so I just bought dark elastic cord and put it all around tying it in a knot in back. It keeps the folds facing inwards just fine. I still check outside when lowering roof but it seems to do a grand job so didn’t bother buying. Bunjee when they came out

I didn’t buy a bungee and had never heard of them so I just bought dark elastic cord and put it all around tying it in a knot in back. It keeps the folds facing inwards just fine. I still check outside when lowering roof but it seems to do a grand job so didn’t bother buying. Bunjee when they came out
I have the bungy (permanently) fitted but still venture outside to check even on the odd occasion of mild panic when the wind is increasing to gale force in the middle of the night. The only awkward moment in this process has been lowering the upper bed in the dark while forgetting that my glasses and a bunch of bananas were sat on the ledge at the back; I managed to bend the glasses back into shape but the bananas were a messy write-off...:bananadance2