Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top Bungee

For myself, I don't find it a problem to stand with my head sticking up into the roof space while lowering the pop top, as the control panel button is still close to hand. I find that way I can keep an eye on the bellows at all corners until the roof's nearly fully down.

If I still have any doubts when I have to withdraw my noggin, I then jump out and run around the van. But by that stage the folding stiffeners are already well-folded inwards so it would be pretty hard for them to spring out the wrong way again. (I should mention that although we have T5 SE, it had acquired a T6 bellows when we bought it one year old and I think the T6 version has stiffer stiffeners.)

Watching from the inside is also a good way to mitigate 'Bangor's problem' (see above) involving bananas or indeed any other fruit items. Or leaving the dog up there.

I still have a bungee though, as it seems a cheap and useful belt-and-braces. The aesthetics of it don't bother me particularly, although it might do if you're keen on a pristine look to the van when the pop top's raised.

On my Beach I have found that the bungee seems to help pulling the canvas in - but then is a complete nightmare when trying to clear the canvas away from the securing clips - much more difficult with the bungee in situ. I am completely undecided whether to keep it or throw it into the nearest bin!

Good evening all, and a happy New year to you!!!
I have a T6 Ocean, does a bungee come with the Cali from the dealer or is it an aftermarket item?

I didn't see any bungee when I took delivery of my Cali...

Safe travels to all for 2018 :bananadance2

On my Beach I have found that the bungee seems to help pulling the canvas in - but then is a complete nightmare when trying to clear the canvas away from the securing clips - much more difficult with the bungee in situ. I am completely undecided whether to keep it or throw it into the nearest bin!
Totally agree - took mine off again as massively increases the risk of trapping the material in the clips that secure the roof. I've lowered mine 100's of times without the cord and as long as you check it's all folding in its no issue. I do however have a new set of bellows now as the dealer was unable to close it without damaging both the bellows and roof!

Totally agree - took mine off again as massively increases the risk of trapping the material in the clips that secure the roof. I've lowered mine 100's of times without the cord and as long as you check it's all folding in its no issue. I do however have a new set of bellows now as the dealer was unable to close it without damaging both the bellows and roof!
Same here. It was a pain on our Beach, so we removed it. Now we're using it on our Coast and it works fine.

Disagree with what? I never suggested anybody should lower the roof without checking. I'm still to be persuaded that the bungee is essential if the necessary precautions are taken but I'll bow you your wisdom.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I agree with what your saying.
Number 4 cali never owned a bungee so I’m not convinced I want or need one...

I stop 2 or 3 times during lowering to check common sense really!