Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a first Ocean

Whilst it does look good, it is also hardly a bargain when looking at the PCP deal:
Duration 49 months
48 monthly payments of £634.39
Deposit £18713.59
Deposit Contribution £2750.00 (Paid by VWFS)
Retail price £71,545.30
Acceptance fee* £0.00
Optional final payment £29,139.83
Option to purchase fee** £10.00
Total amount payable £81,064.14
Total amount of credit £50,081.71
Representative APR 6.0%AP#R
Rate of interest 5.99% fixed

A cash purchase should get at least 10% off making it roughly the same price as Sunstoner's ex hire one with 7,000 miles.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I think I may have given you the wrong impression. I wasn't suggesting that the OP takes the finance deal that's attached to that Ebay advertisement. TBH I hadn't even looked at that! Anyway, how the OP finances his van is a matter for he/she. I merely included the picture of the van to illustrate what's still out there in dealers showrooms and the only picture I had of that van was the one on Ebay. My point was that nice new T6 Oceans are still out their so "get em while they're hot".

Having bought three Californias from SMG I know that they are one of the few really good dealerships to buy from. Also having just purchased our third van I am aware of the current discounts available.
Paul.

I think you’ve already had your eyes opened, but just to say I bought a van with pretty much everything in your list, plus more, 18 months ago with 800 miles on the clock. Cost me about the same money as yours (list price was just over £80k).

I’d I were you, I’d definitely look at the 6.1. I played with the configurator out of interest and was surprised just how few options are needed these days.

for comparison, i discussed a brand new one from aberdeen for about £52k, led lights, comfort mattress, alloys, no reverse camera. plus £1000 of accessories included (bike rack, hardwired dashcam and mats)
they had £9k off to clear stock - i think aberdeen and edinburgh are offering the same offer but other dealers are doing similar. i think preston(?) had a similar stock deal that was my 2nd choice

edit: this was a t6 ocean, also had bed extension and upgraded carplay stereo

Last edited:
Well I've had a quote from Autoebid on the following spec: (which matches the T6 that I was quoted on minus the elec sliding door)

Volkswagen California 199PS T6.1 Ocean DSG Auto7 - £66,2k / £69,3k with 4Motion.

Options:
Metallic Paint - Mojave Beige - GBP 750.00
Interior - ArtVelours - seat centre section with seat bolsters in leather look - GBP 1230.00
Heated front windscreen - GBP 492.00
Chrome package - GBP 456.00
High Beam Assist - GBP 156.00
18" x 8J "Teresina" Black, diamond-turned alloy wheels - GBP 924.00
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat - GBP 312.00
4 remote control folding keys - GBP 114.00

. As I said above. An eye opener all this. Have to process this. Get some quotes from some dealers too. Even with out the options above its still a fabulous motor which then pushes it much cheaper than the T6.

I need a beer.

I’d I were you, I’d definitely look at the 6.1. I played with the configurator out of interest and was surprised just how few options are needed these days.

It is surprising to see just what is included in the new California and it does appear that for the same money as that T6, I can get my sweaty little paws on a T6.1.

:)

It is surprising to see just what is included in the new California and it does appear that for the same money as that T6, I can get my sweaty little paws on a T6.1.

What discount are they offering on a 6.1? Circa 15% with the incentives was not uncommon on the last T6’s so you have to take that into account.

What discount are they offering on a 6.1? Circa 15% with the incentives was not uncommon on the last T6’s so you have to take that into account.

its looking more like 7-9% discount if the quote that I've mentioned above is anything to go by.

Exactly. I was surprised just how the price works out.

BTW....if you'd rather buy my T6 for £65k so I can go and buy a brand new T6.1, that's fine by me. I might even give you a discount !! :)

[moderators, this is a joke, I'm not really trying to sell my van!]

Exactly. I was surprised just how the price works out.

BTW....if you'd rather buy my T6 for £65k so I can go and buy a brand new T6.1, that's fine by me. I might even give you a discount !! :)

[moderators, this is a joke, I'm not really trying to sell my van!]

If it comes with a steering wheel you're on! :p [moderators please see reference 'joke' - wikipedia ] ;) :D

If there is a contribution ( was£2700)with PCP , it will take the discount even higher.

Liverpool Van Centre have some good deals on their remaining stock of T6’s. Worth a look. Our brand new T6 was £52k, though it is only a 150PS and a manual. It’s got App Connect and the Chrome Pack. I’d be wary of paying that much for 2nd hand, even with low mileage and all the options.

Last edited:
Hi All

Im looking at purchasing our very first Cali next year, possibly in the first qtr of next year.

I have identified the vehicle I want. Its a March 2019 Ocean and its from a hire company.

We actually hired this vehicle earlier this year for a month and it was a fabulous motor.

So as to help us to decide whether a campervan was a thing for us we actually have hired 3 vans off this company this year. 1 Conversion and 2 Cali's. The vehicle they've offered us is the one I most liked which happened to be the highest spec and just looked the business.

Knowing I was looking for a Cali, the hire company have offered me the option of buying it.

Its a 2019 T6, Mojave Ocean DSG 4Motion 199bhp. Itll have around 7-9k on the clock when we purchase and it has the following spec :

Elec sliding door
Heated Windscreen
Awning Rail in black
Leather / Alacantra Seats
Discovery Media Pro + DynAudio (love this option - its sounds great!)
Chrome Package
Leather Steering wheel
LED Lights
High beam assist
Green insulating glass
Hill Start / Hill Descent
Heated Front Seats
Premium Multicolour Display with Driver Alert (no idea what this is?!?)
10 Toluca Alloys
Bed extension + Comfort Mattress
4 x Remote keys
Front / Rear Parking Sensors with camera

Theyre asking £65k for this vehicle. Which seems about right, however I guess Ive got that feeling of 'is it right tho?' . I love the spec of the thing. it practically has everything I'd tick and more and looks very smart in Mojave Beige with the chrome finishing and bigger 18" wheels.

I suppose my only thoughts are to the new T6.1. However spec'ing up the new T6.1 similarly to the T6 pushes the vehicle over £76k. Although of course its the new / tweaked everything that you get with the T6.1 + plus a better resale value further down the line, although this latter point isnt so important.

My mind is pretty much made up, but splashing this kind of money on a vehicle just has me wanting to be sure that I've looked at it from all angles.

What are your thoughts?
Hi, you’ve already had a lot of helpful feedback and hopefully that’s enough to help you balance against this expensive ex-hire.
I would add only one thing really. The ‘attitude’ and price from dealers can be very variable so don’t be put off with negative responses on your way. Liverpool and Preston regularly get good feedback on this forum. That’s where I’m currently looking.

Just to second the comment regarding "attitude"; when it goes wrong (ours has, big time) then attitude for me is far more important than saving an extra couple of hundred pounds, when balanced against £55-60k! I am so very glad my order is with Norwich, I chose them instead of another large dealership (exactly the same deal agreed) purely because of their attitude. That choice is now proving to be the right one. Think carefully before parting with such a vast sum of cash. Good luck.

End of September I purchased a new ocean with very similar spec: beige, 4 motion, 199ps, adaptive cruise control, shower attachment, LED, heated front windscreen,
tow bar, etc. etc, plus I had a few things added such as dashcam, bumper protection etc plus 5 year warranty. Cost 67.1 K , vw have been giving significant discounts on new T6 vans, and after looking at the cost of used vans I came to the conclusion that there is better value and peace of mind in buying a new van. As the 6.1 is now so close why not get quotes on new T6 and T6.1.?

So taking everything on board and having spoken to Dealerships in Lincoln , Liverpool and Norwich (BTW Norwich and Liverpool were very helpful, friendly and prompt with sending quotes through - thankyou for your recommendations there!:thumb) Im going to sit on it till after Xmas as Im looking at next year latei(ish) 1st quarter early 2nd quarter before I purchase. The little excited child in me has made me want to get all the details sorted early so I know where I stand as Im mad keen to own my first Cali. :happy

The wife thinks Im barmy because its all I've talked about for the past few weeks and months!

So a really big thankyou to you all for advice and feedback on this. Its a big decision splashing £60k+ on a motor and I've really appreciated your comments. It has helped hugely :):thumb.

I will be back to comment on this post when I when I start to take the next steps. However to suffice to say that the T6.1 Ocean IS definitely on the list and Im really liking the new Fortana Red. Quite a deep broody red. :);)

Ste

PS @subthree @Big Ron Totally agree re attitude. I have only spoken to 3 dealerships, 2 of which have been great and have supplied quotes and excellent advice when they said they would, the other sadly hasnt despite 2 conversations and 2 requests for quotes. I wont be using that dealership.

I had a similar experience to you when I bought my first Cali. Lots of disinterested dealers who cannot be bothered to call you back. I found Breeze in Poole (@Michael Breeze) to be the best. They were in regular contact and actually understood the vehicle which as you will no doubt learn it's rare for the dealers to know much about the California. They talked me through what the options were and nothing was too much trouble when I inevitably changed my mind on a few of them. I went back and forth on the LEDs a few times! They took it all in their stride and I got a real great deal that I was happy with. Definitely worth giving them a try for a quote and if they can't beat it I shall eat my hat!

Hi All

Im looking at purchasing our very first Cali next year, possibly in the first qtr of next year.

I have identified the vehicle I want. Its a March 2019 Ocean and its from a hire company.

We actually hired this vehicle earlier this year for a month and it was a fabulous motor.

So as to help us to decide whether a campervan was a thing for us we actually have hired 3 vans off this company this year. 1 Conversion and 2 Cali's. The vehicle they've offered us is the one I most liked which happened to be the highest spec and just looked the business.

Knowing I was looking for a Cali, the hire company have offered me the option of buying it.

Its a 2019 T6, Mojave Ocean DSG 4Motion 199bhp. Itll have around 7-9k on the clock when we purchase and it has the following spec :

Elec sliding door
Heated Windscreen
Awning Rail in black
Leather / Alacantra Seats
Discovery Media Pro + DynAudio (love this option - its sounds great!)
Chrome Package
Leather Steering wheel
LED Lights
High beam assist
Green insulating glass
Hill Start / Hill Descent
Heated Front Seats
Premium Multicolour Display with Driver Alert (no idea what this is?!?)
10 Toluca Alloys
Bed extension + Comfort Mattress
4 x Remote keys
Front / Rear Parking Sensors with camera

Theyre asking £65k for this vehicle. Which seems about right, however I guess Ive got that feeling of 'is it right tho?' . I love the spec of the thing. it practically has everything I'd tick and more and looks very smart in Mojave Beige with the chrome finishing and bigger 18" wheels.

I suppose my only thoughts are to the new T6.1. However spec'ing up the new T6.1 similarly to the T6 pushes the vehicle over £76k. Although of course its the new / tweaked everything that you get with the T6.1 + plus a better resale value further down the line, although this latter point isnt so important.

My mind is pretty much made up, but splashing this kind of money on a vehicle just has me wanting to be sure that I've looked at it from all angles.

What are your thoughts?
We got virtually the same spec plus a few extra bits and pieces, but a 150bhp with 7k on the clock ex demo last March for £58k. From what others are saying, mine sounds a bit expensive now, but I brought at a busy time of the year ready for spring/summer use and couldn’t be happy with the van.

I had a similar experience to you when I bought my first Cali. Lots of disinterested dealers who cannot be bothered to call you back. I found Breeze in Poole (@Michael Breeze) to be the best. They were in regular contact and actually understood the vehicle which as you will no doubt learn it's rare for the dealers to know much about the California. They talked me through what the options were and nothing was too much trouble when I inevitably changed my mind on a few of them. I went back and forth on the LEDs a few times! They took it all in their stride and I got a real great deal that I was happy with. Definitely worth giving them a try for a quote and if they can't beat it I shall eat my hat!

You're right, it makes a huge difference in the buying when a dealer is genuinely interested and knows their product. They understand your requirements so much better and offer you a greater sales experience. We're parting with big lumps of money and we just wanna feel understood and appreciated as buyers not just pushed through the sales machine.

I'll be giving Breeze a call too! :thumb

We got virtually the same spec plus a few extra bits and pieces, but a 150bhp with 7k on the clock ex demo last March for £58k. From what others are saying, mine sounds a bit expensive now, but I brought at a busy time of the year ready for spring/summer use and couldn’t be happy with the van.

Buying at the right time of year can be key too. Admittedly Im normally too impatient, im not sure I could wait for the right time if it was the case :D

So taking everything on board and having spoken to Dealerships in Lincoln , Liverpool and Norwich (BTW Norwich and Liverpool were very helpful, friendly and prompt with sending quotes through - thankyou for your recommendations there!:thumb) Im going to sit on it till after Xmas as Im looking at next year latei(ish) 1st quarter early 2nd quarter before I purchase. The little excited child in me has made me want to get all the details sorted early so I know where I stand as Im mad keen to own my first Cali. :happy

The wife thinks Im barmy because its all I've talked about for the past few weeks and months!

So a really big thankyou to you all for advice and feedback on this. Its a big decision splashing £60k+ on a motor and I've really appreciated your comments. It has helped hugely :):thumb.

I will be back to comment on this post when I when I start to take the next steps. However to suffice to say that the T6.1 Ocean IS definitely on the list and Im really liking the new Fortana Red. Quite a deep broody red. :);)

Ste

PS @subthree @Big Ron Totally agree re attitude. I have only spoken to 3 dealerships, 2 of which have been great and have supplied quotes and excellent advice when they said they would, the other sadly hasnt despite 2 conversations and 2 requests for quotes. I wont be using that dealership.
hi
I completely agree with you. I too was going for a T6 and I think, a well priced one, but after serious consideration, cancelled our order, losing deposit, in favour of waiting as you are doing to order T6.1. I want to see a bit more info and hope this will include VW contribution/free servicing before ordering. I also like the new red, but really hope there are no pinky tints and would like to see a sample or an example of the paint colour. Tom at Breeze helpfully advised that the existing Caddy already comes in this shade so I am on the lookout for one.

hi
I completely agree with you. I too was going for a T6 and I think, a well priced one, but after serious consideration, cancelled our order, losing deposit, in favour of waiting as you are doing to order T6.1. I want to see a bit more info and hope this will include VW contribution/free servicing before ordering. I also like the new red, but really hope there are no pinky tints and would like to see a sample or an example of the paint colour. Tom at Breeze helpfully advised that the existing Caddy already comes in this shade so I am on the lookout for one.
"losing deposit"? Surely they will honour your deposit against a T6-1?

cancelled our order, losing deposit
As Borris said, I have placed 2 deposits (this year) with VW CV Dealers that I have subsequently cancelled. Never had an issue with a refund. As one dealer said to me, the negative response isn't worth the hassle for £500.

OK thanks. I emailed the dealer and explained why we were pulling out, and included the suggestion that they might transfer the deposit to a T6.1, however, said dealer did not even respond to my email!? we had not had personal contact with them, only over phone and email, having used a broker so this may have something to do with it.