Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a T6.1 with or without ACC

ddgp

ddgp

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi guys,

I am planning on getting a T6.1 and due to stock being very limited now, is getting one without ACC a deal breaker?

The last offer in CH with ACC has, 9inch screen & digital dashboard which I dont really need. 1500 CHF of extras that I dont really need. Damm... The offering is limited :S

Hi guys,

I am planning on getting a T6.1 and due to stock being very limited now, is getting one without ACC a deal breaker?

The last offer in CH with ACC has, 9inch screen & digital dashboard which I dont really need. 1500 CHF of extras that I dont really need. Damm... The offering is limited :S
The decision is entirely yours but remember this, you cannot retrofit ACC. Keep that in mind when taking the decision.

Hi guys,

Personally not a fan of ACC so wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

Scrapped our Citroen C4 Picasso last year which had ACC, now only have the T4 which has manual AC, what a difference ACC set the temp either side that’s it, manual on the T4 freezing or sweating, know which I prefer, but!

The T4 was available with Climate Control which I didn’t want due to experience of failing electronics on the C4 engine, gearbox, windows, ACC, stop/start which more or less killed it and as everyone is using the same suppliers, Bosch, Valeo, Siemens etc etc I wonder for the future, thank god (or someone) no Lucas who invented darkness.

i'm not sure now if you are talking about 3 zone climate control (very good - highly recommended, although you can live with just normal AC) or Adaptive cruise control thingy (absolutely amazing if you do any long journey's - 100% recommended. So relaxing, but again, i guess you can survive with just normal cruise control - but I wouldn't any more. No way.)

I'm confused now! acronyms... maybe we need to use plain language as acronyms change over time depending on model age or brand.
Or we are just getting too old

Adaptive cruise control - wouldn't be without it now.

ACC (cruise control) + Lane Keep Assist = very comfortable long distance journeys.

Like others, I wouldn't specify a new vehicle, let alone one that is so expensive, without it.

We spec'd ACC on our T6 as there were lots must have postings on the forum. Now having lived with it for three years, I find it good on uncrowded motorways, other times I'm not a fan. So if all other boxes were right, it wouldn't stop me purchasing a new T6.1. Resale, some people consider LED lights as a must have, some ACC, I think it will have little effect a few years down the line.

Hi guys,

ours came with ACC as standard. pretty sure it is no longer an optional extra. Its great, and glad we have it, but would likely not have specced it in if it was extra.

We have this on our Golf and I find it a bit clunky. It brakes when I would have simply come off the gas. It also doesn't like heavy traffic when you gain on the vehicle in the lane outside you. I could live without it - which is just as well as our t6 didn't come with it!

We spec'd ACC on our T6 as there were lots must have postings on the forum. Now having lived with it for three years, I find it good on uncrowded motorways, other times I'm not a fan. So if all other boxes were right, it wouldn't stop me purchasing a new T6.1. Resale, some people consider LED lights as a must have, some ACC, I think it will have little effect a few years down the line.
Thank you for your note, i have been told that here in Switzerland It will be a norm on all new cars in 2 years down the line

Good Afternoon,

Our van came with the ACC as standard (demo model). Even the van has manual gearbox I love ACC. Yes, it is not perfect but pretty good. I would love to see how it works with DSG - it must be even so much better.

For a long time I only checked the Irish California configuration and here all vans seems to come with ACC as standard. I can't remember, but isn't there an option to switch it off? Have to look it up these days (should have enough time during lock down :)).

Happy California,
Eberhard

Hi guys,

I think you're talking about Adaptive Cruise Control rather than Automatic Climate Control. When I last checked the spec list of both Coast and Ocean Californias, Adaptive Cruise Control was fitted as standard and you couldn't order any model without it. This really irk me as I'm not a fan of the AAC. I do agree with you about unnecessary equipment being forced on buyers. Apart from Adaptive CC, I don't need LED lights or a digital dashboard.

I think you're talking about Adaptive Cruise Control rather than Automatic Climate Control. When I last checked the spec list of both Coast and Ocean Californias, Adaptive Cruise Control was fitted as standard and you couldn't order any model without it. This really irk me as I'm not a fan of the AAC. I do agree with you about unnecessary equipment being forced on buyers. Apart from Adaptive CC, I don't need LED lights or a digital dashboard.
Agree with you about AAC, but LED lights are now a must for me.

I ummmed and errred over the LED lights, but now I have them I feel like an all powerful road god at night. They are spectacular, and have transformed my enjoyment of night driving both on big and small country roads. (and given how packed the roads are these days, i really like driving through the night).

As for AAC, if you like cruise control (which i do, especially for long motorway journeys) then most people will love AAC, especially with DSG. You set your speed and then forget about it until you come off the motorway basically - gear changes done, deals with slow traffic, does it all with no fuss and using less fuel than i would otherwise use (because i set my top speed at a reasonable level (about 65mph) and don't 'drift' higher. i love it.

It definately would be a dealbraker for me if it had ACC.
That thing never reacts like I react in the same situation. Away goes your defensive driving style. When you are approaching a red light, and there are cars in front of you, the ACC will just keep driving until it reaches the set distance, and then start braking. I would have long lifted my foot of the accelerator to let the friction slow down my van, with most of the times having a green light when I arrive, and never have to brake.
The same for cars in front of you turning off the main road, the ACC will slam on the brakes where I would just steer a little to the left or right to pass that vehicle without the need to brake.
And for lane keeping, it is just like an annoying passenger grabbing your steering wheel and pulling the wheel when you just want to avoid a pothole in the road, crossing the line.
Just normal CC should be standard in a campervan. ACC, lane and side assist as option, but NEVER as standard. Some people still can drive their selves.
What happens when someone hits your bumper on a car park? Your ACC sensor is adjusted, and will stop working, as will other functions nowadays.
When someone hits my bumper, worst case would be a smashed parking sensor, but I will still have my CC.

But that is just my humble opinion.

I’m curious, when the ACC is ‘braking’, do the brake lights come on?

Back