Bye all

Status
Not open for further replies.

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I've just been sent two warnings about behaviour by Jen who has taken it upon herself to police this site. Warnings over absolutely nothing.

The same Jen who repeatedly asked for and got help from me on many occasions. The same Jen that sent a nice message when we had to sell our bloody pita Cali.

WTF has happened to this forum?

Not interested any more; it's ruined. Well done Jen, great "work."

Cheers all,

Matt

I've just been sent two warnings about behaviour by Jen who has taken it upon herself to police this site. Warnings over absolutely nothing.

The same Jen who repeatedly asked for and got help from me on many occasions. The same Jen that sent a nice message when we had to sell our bloody pita Cali.

WTF has happened to this forum?
Not interested any more; it's ruined. Well done Jen, great "work.

Cheers all,

Matt

Sorry to see you go your informative posts will be missed.

I've ignored him since he reappeared hoping he might have a strop and go away.
Looks like my prayers have been answered.
I liked you before Jen but you've got a friend for life here now!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Same here....I have not waded in either...OR indeed gone surfing either....!

Gone but not forgotten
bye bye again

Matt

so basically the same Jen who has been nothing but polite to you?

I'm not saying anything in case it provokes him to come back....again.:cool:
I really don't think all this is necessary. I shall no doubt get loads of grief for saying so but frankly I feel I must.
I have not been on this board for long but have found it very informative and yes some of Kernowlads posts as well. Frankly I can do without this rubbish. I don't know the history of his previous falling out, if there was one but I presume he was entitled to come back. Some of his views may have been overly negative to some and overly repeated but some are perhaps overly positive.

It has been determined that he has over stepped the mark by the moderators which is their job. Fine! He has left. Now can we stop, please.!

Your entitled to your opinion and I agree with you that sometimes he could be quite positive and indeed witty ,but he could also be insulting rude and dismissive of other people views and sometimes its nice in a childish sort of way to give him some back....I think you may have understood better if you had history with kernowlad but I take your point and will comment no further

I really don't think all this is necessary. I shall no doubt get loads of grief for saying so but frankly I feel I must.
I have not been on this board for long but have found it very informative and yes some of Kernowlads posts as well. Frankly I can do without this rubbish. I don't know the history of his previous falling out, if there was one but I presume he was entitled to come back. Some of his views may have been overly negative to some and overly repeated but some are perhaps overly positive.

It has been determined that he has over stepped the mark by the moderators which is their job. Fine! He has left. Now can we stop, please.!

I agree with this,

but as I said in another thread, what was said to Matt was private. A quiet word made via a pm. He chose to make it public in a display of butt hurt that now extends to insulting me in another forum.

As I said in that other thread, I may be old fashioned but private to me means just that, private.

Your entitled to your opinion and I agree with you that sometimes he could be quite positive and indeed witty ,but he could also be insulting rude and dismissive of other people views and sometimes its nice in a childish sort of way to give him some back....I think you may have understood better if you had history with kernowlad but I take your point and will comment no further
:)

Congrats on the upgrade Jen. Firm but fair policy. :D

Congrats on the upgrade Jen. Firm but fair policy. :D

Thank you.

This forum has been very good to me. I came here as a bewildered "wannabee" camper having no idea what I wanted, having no ability whatsoever to maintain one even if I knew, and with a lot of questions to ask. I have received nothing but helpful advice.

Hopefully I can now give a bit back to the forum starting by helping to make it a welcoming place for all.

I agree with this,

but as I said in another thread, what was said to Matt was private. A quiet word made via a pm. He chose to make it public in a display of butt hurt that now extends to insulting me in another forum.

As I said in that other thread, I may be old fashioned but private to me means just that, private.
I agree private is how it should have been left. As stated the moderators did their job accordingly and he left. I had a look at the thread linked from here and saw the insulting remarks. Not good and not worth responding to. My post was to an attempt to draw a line under it.

I agree private is how it should have been left. As stated the moderators did their job accordingly and he left. I had a look at the thread linked from here and saw the insulting remarks. Not good and not worth responding to. My post was to an attempt to draw a line under it.

Mike, yes, let's draw a line. This forum is not about childish butthurt, it's about enjoying a lifestyle.

I'm not sure the disagree button has helped the forum. To me if you disagree a little, you just stop following the thread. If you disagree a lot, you try and make your point in an articulate manner.
The disagree button used without an explanation does feel provocative - even though I know many are (were?) 'awarded' inadvertently when scrolling on a touch screen.

I've no intention of getting sucked in to whatever politics are afoot here but (like most people on here I'm sure) I'm a member of lots of forums and have even modded some boards. However, when people leave forums like this it's almost always a sign of a much deeper underlying problem.

If members don't like what another user has to say, or don't find their posts useful, interesting, pleasant or simply take a dislike to another member, then there is an "ignore" function. Problem solved. Asking a member to conform to group "norms" is basically saying "you need to write posts that I don't dislike reading" and is essentially harassment. In social terms this is called tyranny of the majority, which is worth a read before everyone chimes in with their opinion about an individual user.

Diversity of opinion and personalities is absolutely critical for a healthy community (not just forums) and should be encouraged at almost all costs. I personally learn nothing whatsoever by a homogenised community that all agrees with each other. I want people with different ideas, backgrounds, and ways of expressing themselves to engage with because I learn from it, even if my initial reaction might be to interpret them as being rude, blunt, or even agressive.

If I don't like what i read and don't think that person has anything more to offer me, then I can use the block function, but censoring what I read is my own responsibility; I can definitely tell you that members attempting to censor other people, even for extreme points of view, is extremely unhealthy for any community.

I frankly don't care what he's done unless it's defamation/libel/harassment or worse. However looking at the board rules there is this:
... you must not... Name and Shame or make negative posts concerning companies, organisations or individuals.

Which the majority of people on here have also done.

I appreciate that this is a young forum and still finding it's feet. But if it is to be useful, admins and mods might want to sit down together and discuss exactly what type of forum this is to become.

If you've got this far then it should be unsurprising that my personal view is that no member should feel like they should censor their posts unless they're actively breaking the law, board moderators should not also be contributors and need to be very experienced in what it means to be a moderator. One good way to learn this is to mod specific threads or sub forums first. Members should be allowed to be different, wrong (because that's how we learn), and if they're persistent dickheads, ignored. Mods should only get involved if the member is in serious breach and a post needs to be deleted, and that should almost never happen with a self-organising, healthy community.

I've no intention of getting sucked in to whatever politics are afoot here but (like most people on here I'm sure) I'm a member of lots of forums and have even modded some boards. However, when people leave forums like this it's almost always a sign of a much deeper underlying problem.

If members don't like what another user has to say, or don't find their posts useful, interesting, pleasant or simply take a dislike to another member, then there is an "ignore" function. Problem solved. Asking a member to conform to group "norms" is basically saying "you need to write posts that I don't dislike reading" and is essentially harassment. In social terms this is called tyranny of the majority, which is worth a read before everyone chimes in with their opinion about an individual user.

Diversity of opinion and personalities is absolutely critical for a healthy community (not just forums) and should be encouraged at almost all costs. I personally learn nothing whatsoever by a homogenised community that all agrees with each other. I want people with different ideas, backgrounds, and ways of expressing themselves to engage with because I learn from it, even if my initial reaction might be to interpret them as being rude, blunt, or even agressive.

If I don't like what i read and don't think that person has anything more to offer me, then I can use the block function, but censoring what I read is my own responsibility; I can definitely tell you that members attempting to censor other people, even for extreme points of view, is extremely unhealthy for any community.

I frankly don't care what he's done unless it's defamation/libel/harassment or worse. However looking at the board rules there is this:
... you must not... Name and Shame or make negative posts concerning companies, organisations or individuals.

Which the majority of people on here have also done.

I appreciate that this is a young forum and still finding it's feet. But if it is to be useful, admins and mods might want to sit down together and discuss exactly what type of forum this is to become.

If you've got this far then it should be unsurprising that my personal view is that no member should feel like they should censor their posts unless they're actively breaking the law, board moderators should not also be contributors and need to be very experienced in what it means to be a moderator. One good way to learn this is to mod specific threads or sub forums first. Members should be allowed to be different, wrong (because that's how we learn), and if they're persistent dickheads, ignored. Mods should only get involved if the member is in serious breach and a post needs to be deleted, and that should almost never happen with a self-organising, healthy community.

Interesting.

For the purpose of clarity:

There was no removal of post, censorship or any dictate. Simply a private message to reflect certain concerns, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.