Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Dual Battery Solar Regulators for 2020

Just wondering from you guys who have fitted the same or are in the know about solar... what kind of voltage are you seeing on the batteries? Im getting 14.2 on the leisure, is that a bit high or just that the solar is charging it?

Mine goes up to over 14 when there is solar power. This is a screen shot from my app.

4A407265-B27D-4DB8-B970-CB407E9F5800.png

Tell you what, this solar panel installation has just made me want summer even more! Now I really cant wait for some warmer days and chances to find some wild spots.
Will have to wait though, still snow/rain/cloudy and 3-7 degrees over here :(

Got the dual charger installed over the weekend. No problems fitting it with the great set of instructions supplied. A bit fiddly getting to the relay in the LHD, and man was it tightly screwed on! (A lot of swearing occured).
Seems to be working well.
Just wondering from you guys who have fitted the same or are in the know about solar... what kind of voltage are you seeing on the batteries? Im getting 14.2 on the leisure, is that a bit high or just that the solar is charging it?View attachment 59277

These readings look good to me. Yes, you set it on GEL 1. Both my batteries are nicely topped up now. I've had to go and help out a few friends with dead batteries over the last week or so too.

These readings look good to me. Yes, you set it on GEL 1. Both my batteries are nicely topped up now. I've had to go and help out a few friends with dead batteries over the last week or so too.
Great, I guess I'm just not used to having so much power at my disposal :)
When scrolling through the parameters of each battery, I take it the V max is then the max value it has had recently as this seems to fluctuate with time?

I'm getting a new delivery of the duo chargers in tomorrow. I'm also getting the bluetooth dongle with adapter lead as it is now apparently compatible with the DR series of chargers.

I will test the app before I sell the bluetooth hardware, as last time I looked, the app was atrocious, but that was a few years ago.

I do now have and sell the bluetooth kit for the Duo racer series chargers. They are not on my site. If you drop me an email from my site (not a PM here as I might miss it) I can then arrange a seperate paypal invoice when you order a solar kit.

The app works fine. It's not Victron, put it that way, but, you can see solar chargign current and battery levels - you do have to hit the refresh button to get the latest numbers - it's not "live" like on the Victron app.

There seems to be an iOS app as well as the Android app (I've tested the Android version) - but I've not tested it.

No, AGM is not GEL!

I set my Victron on AGM spiral as gel setting doesn't charge at 14.7 which is what's needed to fully charge some arm batteries

I want a dual battery solution (2 leisure + 1 starter) and prefer to buy German over Chinese...Hey I bought a VW right?

These look like they fit the bill. I guess 165w would suffice for 1 panel and 250w version for 2

And the panel looks slick

Your solar camper site has a “my own option” for the controller, so any idea if the new 2020 panel wire connector you mentioned in another post is compatible?

I’m pretty much ready to pull the trigger I’m away to Devon 1st week august to a site with no hookup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want a dual battery solution (2 leisure + 1 starter) and prefer to buy German over Chinese...Hey I bought a VW right?

These look like they fit the bill. I guess 165w would suffice for 1 panel and 250w version for 2

Your solar camper site has a “my own option” for the controller, so any idea if the new 2020 panel wire connector you mentioned in another post is compatible?

I’m pretty much ready to pull the trigger I’m away to Devon 1st week august to a site with no hookup.

Slaps self on the wrist. I somehow did not see that you already mentioned Votronic in the original post.

that unit still lacks the Bluetooth capability of the Victron, but victron don’t offer dual charge units.

i’m not sure if anyone has come across this unit yet, but it looks to have it all: dual charge, MPPT, compact, bluetooth capable with an app and affordable at £110 with 2 year warranty
and the optional panel is 1/2 the price of votronic at £40
and contact details are Tewksbury, so maybe a British outfit, but don’t know where they manufacture them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... I thought you didn't want a Chinese charger? Those are, and I'm deeply suspicious of it's MPPT claim. It looks entirely like the common-on-ebay fake MPPT chargers. I will research more.... (it charges battery 1 to 70% and then both "equally" - which is impossible with MPPT as it totally relies on monitoring the battery voltage to make the MPPT magic work. Can't do what when charging two at the same time.

I might buy one to test. I'll soon know as I'll put it up against another known MPPT charger.

I'm getting a touch confused as you are chatting to me on PMs and also on here.

The Epever chargers are superb and I've been selling them for around 7 years with 1 failure in all that time.

Finding an MPPT charger that does the starter too is tough, particularly if you want Bluetooth as well. The app for the Epever is indeed not very good. Hence I don't list them on my site. But the charger itself is fine, going on past experience with Epever. I wish Victron would make one.....

The panels I sell are from China too. You will be hard pushed to find ones that are not assembled in China. Even German cell manufacturers often send their cells to be assembled in China.

The cables in my kits are compatible with any chargers .

R

Last edited:
... I thought you didn't want a Chinese charger? Those are, and I'm deeply suspicious of it's MPPT claim. It looks entirely like the common-on-ebay fake MPPT chargers. I will research more.... (it charges battery 1 to 70% and then both "equally" - which is impossible with MPPT as it totally relies on monitoring the battery voltage to make the MPPT magic work. Can't do what when charging two at the same time.

You are correct. I rang them to ask and they are UK designed, but manufactured in China...

The man on the phone was helpful though and did say that beyond around 75% charge on leisure, The controller then splits the current to equally charge leisure and starter batteries

Regarding the status panels, Will the factory Volkswagen control unit not display positive Amps flowing into the leisure batteries like when the engine is running? Or is that just wired into a separate circuit behind the relay and doesn’t show up?

The VW panel doesn't know about the solar charging as we connect directly to the battery/ies. The voltage will be correct, but it won't show the charging amps, and the battery % icon will become incorrect when parked up for several days (a quick ignition on and off resets it to be correct). The MPPT charger always tells the correct battery level and charge levels.

so - update! All done, fitted and working fantastically! All in all, it was a fun and reasonably straightforward process. You need to be a bit handy though for the 'full' dual battery set-up with remote control panel and connecting the front battery via the left front seat. (connecting the wire under the seat was a bit of job i found, because with the LHD car i couldn't easily lift and rest the seat on the dash.)

Anyway both sets of batteries after a few days (of very little direct sun) have gone from reading 12.2V to reading 12.9+ so i'm happy. Check it out:

View attachment 56692

View attachment 56693

View attachment 56695

View attachment 56701

View attachment 56698
View attachment 56702

View attachment 56699
View attachment 56700

I’m going to install a display panel on the pillar the same way. How does it come off it feels a bit tight I’m afraid to break a grommet or something. From your photos it looks like there’s at least two on the bottom, do you just need to pull hard and hope for the best?

I’m going to install a display panel on the pillar the same way. How does it come off it feels a bit tight I’m afraid to break a grommet or something. From your photos it looks like there’s at least two on the bottom, do you just need to pull hard and hope for the best?

The C pillar cover is held with 4x plastic press studs....2x top + 2x bottom. Just be steady and it will come free. Use plastic trim tool to help remove.

Another question I have seeing your picture: since there seems to be some 1,5cm gap between the roof and the panel, and since I see the thin cable from the left coming from under, till up at the connector thing, is it not possible to have that connector on the underside of the panel. Or would that become a humidity problem?
Just don't like too much fragile cables sticking on the roof.

The connectros fit under the panel in the 1st lower roof "trough". The new ones even more so. The older ones do but just require being in exactly the right orientation.

The C pillar cover is held with 4x plastic press studs....2x top + 2x bottom. Just be steady and it will come free. Use plastic trim tool to help remove.

Thanks

There isn’t as much space behind it as I expected. I ordered the Voltronic kit along with Richard’s panel kit so I’ll update when I get it done. The panel seems slimmer if anything.
9f7b5475df3999e501379f9c104eae74.jpg

Here is a photo which hopefully helps the next person so you know exactly where all the studs are!
6a437d1d39278c3f76e6bb2e70215c8b.jpg

I cut the hole around here:

1594976568954.png

So that it matches the indent behind. For reference, the MT50 and MT11 depth behind the panel is: 12mm. PLUS the network cable plug sticking out the back of it. The pillar clips back on happily with that installed.

So although the Votronic display panel sits very flush, it requires an extra cm of depth at nearly 22mm including the little pins

The panel is probably only a couple millimetres thick, so just see if this is going to fit I may have to fashion a little block of wood or something with the same dimensions so I don’t have to damage the panel to try it out. Will just see if I can push the panel back in with something 20mm thick behind it

d5256641f91d12db0566d18e0def00de.jpg

Good idea that. Shame They make the back square. Round means an easy hole cut.

b0c2d71e47add0323ed4662618983302.jpg

The circuitboard is nearly exactly the size of a 8x9x2 Lego. I managed to push the panel back on, barely, with the Lego brick behind

d93144e1af58d3408e5250c3ab88138a.jpg

Not as easy as a round install but they provide a drilling template

Looks like a standard square electrical adapter will do to lift the panel away from the plastic.

You'll get this at screwfix or similar.

Looks like a standard square electrical adapter will do to lift the panel away from the plastic.

I’ll have a look. Votronic makes one, but charges £20 for it and I may just need a few mm lift to make it a little less snug. Rather not have it protruding out at that rate I’ll put it somewhere else like above the vanity door

1560790079_81216200.png

I've just had a look.

Screwfix do not have anything.

I suggest going to a very good electrical trade store with your plate and seek guidance on what will fit.

I’ll have a look. Votronic makes one, but charges £20 for it and I may just need a few mm lift to make it a little less snug. Rather not have it protruding out at that rate I’ll put it somewhere else like above the vanity door

1560790079_81216200.png

Yes that will work for you but will require you to cut in to the nice aluminium cabinet.

When I fitted the MT11 Epever remote panel in to the C pillar cover, I took a view that I could always buy a new plastic trim cover.

As Roger has said it only required a round hole and came supplied with the surround adapter plate.

Cutting in to the aluminium cabinet is somewhat permanent.

Back