Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Dual Battery Solar Regulators for 2020

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We are now stocking Epever dual battery MPPT chargers for 2020. Dual = charging leisure (one or two of) PLUS your starter battery (this is to clarify that in an Ocean, you are really charging three batteries !).

For most people, charging the starter battery is not required as it gets topped up with driving, but there are a fair few users out there who park up for long periods and want to keep their starter battery topped up too.

We previously sold WRM dual battery chargers but we had more failures than I was happy with so discontinued those.
Votronic also sell a dual MPPT charger, but the LCD display is stupidly expensive (£80), and another £20 for the plastic back box..... this is all before you buy the charger.

Epever have now entered the dual battery MPPT charger market. Our "standard" MPPT LCD charger upgrades have always been Epever, and in all the years I've been trading, I've sent back only one unit, so I trust the brand.

We are stocking the 10Amp (130w) unit - plenty for a single panel installation, and the 30Amp (390w) unit - to cover dual or even triple panels!. Both have a built in back-lit LCD display which shows battery levels, both leisure and starter, and also solar charging, how much, and where it is being directed. You can also add on a remote LCD display that shows exactly the same information on a panel mount display. The chargers have a low power mode where they will go to sleep when they detect that it is dark, to reduce battery drain overnight.

Pretty exciting stuff for us as there has been a big gap in the market for good, affordable dual MPPT chargers, and I'm often asked for them. Like I said, they are a fairly niche product, and installing does involve running an extra wire to under the passenger seat to get to starter-live, but we now stock them for anyone who needs them. They are priced very competatively for dual chargers too.

The bottom photo is from the remote LCD display (MT11). The photos were taken today and reflect the current British weather :) The battery icon under the bonnet would show more, but I use a small test battery just to get things working, and it was flat !

IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5981.JPG
IMG_5984.JPG

Hi Roger. these look great as my early SE does not charge the engine battery on hookup and im thinking of fitting solar. Possibly 180W 2xpanels or similar. How much does the 30Amp unit cost? Plus do ineed to run a feed all the way to the engine battery?

thanks, Mark.

Hi mark. You need to run one cable to under the passenger seat. I don't sell them separately. Only as part of my kits.

This looks great Roger. I'm looking at getting a dual panel set up, and now have two options to consider....but seeing as i prefer the idea of a remote display rather than bluetooth, and seeing as it can't hurt to have a dual charge to top up the starter battery too, i think i'll go for this new kit!

A few questions:

Do you provide instructions for wiring in the "extra wire to under the passenger seat to get to starter-live"? Is it difficult? (I have a LHD California. I'm reasonably handy with electrics)

Can you think of any particular advantages of the Victoron dual set up with bluetooth? I guess perhaps it keeps more historical data and things? Are they of the same quality?

- Yes - with photos. You run the supplied wire behind the fridge, behind the drawers, and then it goes under the drivers seat, picking up the starter live from the relay under the seat. Not difficult at all. You dont' even need to remove the seat, just undo 4 nuts, lift it and slide it forward resting on the dash.

- The Victron, and all the MPPT chargers I sell perform the same. The advantage with the victron is you get historical data, should you be interested in it. It doesn't help charge more :) The disadvantage is of course it'll only charge your leisure batteries, but that's fine for most people.

Victron give a 5 year warranty on their chargers.

It's one year with Epever - but like I said, I have returned only one in many years, and I sell a LOT of them, particularly to Bongo owners.

ok, well, i think i will order the Epever one then!

Regarding the LCD remote display - any thoughts on where it can be placed (withiout wires showing)? It's hard to tell it's size and possible position from the pics above.

Just Google epever mt11 and you'll find pics. In an ocean I've fitted them on the front of the tall cupboard using the mounting box ( only 2 screw holes), or, if you have a hole cutter they fit very nicely in the plastic upright above the cooker/ fridge.

In a beach I've put the display in the rearmost plastic upright panel.

Mine has arrived! Two panels, the Epever dual battery MPPT charger and the remote LCD display!

That's my 'working from home' sorted for the net few days!! Thanks Roger!

report to follow.....

:) Have fun!

With the remote display there are a few options.

For the least impact/damage you can use the mounting box and use two screws to put it at the top of the wardrobe "front face" - the wall facing the front of the van.

If you don't mind cutting a big hole in a piece of plastic I've fitted a few in the plastic pillar cover that is above the fridge/worktop. It pulls off, then you can cut a hole with a hole saw and mount it in the middle. A lot easiert than it sounds, though running the cable behind the worktop can be fiddly.

Pics: Different display but same dimensions. screen (Medium).jpgscreen pillar 2.JPG

i'm definately going to try the above-fridge plastic trim version. I have a cutting multitool and a dremmel so I should manage. Fiddly worktop wiring is something i rather enjoy!

They do kits too which work out better value.

You've got a fair bit of scope to dremel without the edges being visible but the above makes it a 2 minute job. I do use it a lot mind you! :)

Last edited:
ah yes, i see now it's a round hole - even better! Thanks!

Testing the system as instructed! Seems to be working well! (although I don't know what 'type' of battery this is so i'm not sure if i have it on the right settings for the controller? It doesn't say 'gel' or AGM on it, it says: 'enhanced starting performance' and 'long life - maintenance free' but that's about it.... i'm guessing it is just a 'sealed' battery....(as you can tell, i'm no expert))

1584879133629.png

Last edited:
note: i see that the controller is set to Sealed 12v by defualt, so that seems right. I can change that when i connect it to the VW leisure batteries, which are gel ones i think.

AGM batteries will shout that all over their labels.

Sealed = all modern lead acid batteries
GEL = AGM

No, AGM is not GEL!

I'm not saying it is. Just on chargers , given no other option, gel suits agm better than sealed.

I am sorry. I thought you meant that GEL and AGM were the same batteries.

so - update! All done, fitted and working fantastically! All in all, it was a fun and reasonably straightforward process. You need to be a bit handy though for the 'full' dual battery set-up with remote control panel and connecting the front battery via the left front seat. (connecting the wire under the seat was a bit of job i found, because with the LHD car i couldn't easily lift and rest the seat on the dash.)

Anyway both sets of batteries after a few days (of very little direct sun) have gone from reading 12.2V to reading 12.9+ so i'm happy. Check it out:

1585423352546.png

1585423441298.png

1585423479123.png

1585423642963.png

1585423506768.png
1585423717937.png

1585423564536.png
1585423589452.png

Thanks Roger! Really happy with this set up. I would say you could easily sell this Epever dual battery MPPT with the optional bluetooth controller too, if someone wanted that instead of this remote one. (by the way, i found fitting it very easy, the pannel popped off and i cut and fitted it, then i used a drain unblocker cable thing to find the route to the back cupboard and it went in on the third attempt directly!)

Ahhh - drain unblocker - never thought of that! :)

Very neat installation.

It currently looks like their android app doesn't support the DuoRacer series chargers. Last time I tried their app it was aweful (via a wifi dongle). Great chargers they make, great software they don't :)

Hi babble - looks like a neat job! However, I am not sure if I want to fit a display in the van.

I'm considering one of Roger's solar panels and I wonder if anyone with a "curly cable" would care to comment on whether it has marked the paint and/or flaps about noticeably. It doesn't seem much hardship to tuck a straight cable away when lowering the roof, but the curly cable seems to be "fit and forget" and I've only seen positive comments about the curly cable so far.
Thanks

I've emailed you, but to confirm, the external display is entirely optional.

The external display is great! Get it! if you can fit the rest, you'll manage the external display and it looks really professional! (plus you can constantly oooh and aahhhh at how wonderfully full your batteries are and how wonderful the sun's power is.

I haven't actually driven anywhere since fitting it, so i can't give a report on the curly cable, but i will tell you that it is very heavy and solid and, well curly, i'm very happy with it!

Back