Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Carri Chef 2 Combo

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are off to the Isle of Wight in August for a family camping holiday with most of our tribe, fifteen or more of us in all. As Mrs B and I will be providing the dining hall (inflatable Vango Galli Awning), I've been thinking of getting a Cadac Carri Chef 2 Combo which includes a Paella pan to provide our gang with adequate fodder.
Has anyone got one of these chaps?
Are they any good?
Pros and cons would also be appreciated.

As it's rather large, after the holiday it will be mainly used as a garden BBQ although it might be useful at some club events and of course, future family holidays.

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
We also have the Safari Chef, which is smaller and perfect for only two of us 'on the road'. As the video describes, they are hugely versatile as you can fry, griddle, barbecue, use as a conventional camping burner and the lid can act both as a wok and also when used on top of the griddle plate, allows you to roast a chicken or other chunk of meat. Spending a couple of months away at a time, we carry a second cylinder as we use the cadac almost as much as the internal stove, which means we always have an immediate replacement if one runs out. To be honest, the larger one you are looking at would be too big for only two of us, both in terms of carrying scale and gas usage but for your multitudes to be fed, it's probably the best option. We also use in the garden for a small barbecue.

Definitely recommend!

My Dad has a Carri Chef and loves it. Takes a little more to put together than a safari chef but cooks well and has a good large cooking surface. I cooked some nice meals on theirs for four when I visited them once when they were away.

Only thing that I wasn't keen on was the legs which are quite large and didn't seem to pack away very well, sticking out of the bag. Other than that a great bit of kit.

Update:

Having purchased a new Cadac Carri Chef 2 Combo - with Paella Pan (see previously mentioned video clip), I can report that it proved to be a complete success during our four day family camping mini break to the Isle of Wight.

It is quick and easy to set up and runs from our spare Campingaz 907 cylinder.

There were fifteen of us including eight adults and seven children and this device enabled us to cook all of the breakfasts, a large paella, an enormous chilli and separately eight large gammon steaks at once, all with total ease.
image.jpeg
For each meal I used the paella pan which is about 50ish mm deep and from memory 470 mm in diameter. It's huge.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Even so it knocks down to a fairly compact bundle with the legs carried separately.

It's obviously too big for two or even four people to carry around in their Cali but if you like entertaining or have a large gathering or family to cater for then it is superb.

Last edited:
That first picture with the 'no cooking' sign cracked me up, @Borris following the rules as usual.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men". If that advice fails then squeal like a girl and run like heck.