Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali as main transport

My 2017 T6 Beach has over 44,000 miles on the odometer already..... It’s my daily driver. No issues thus far. I’m not worried about resale, as don’t plan to sell it anytime soon. These vans are designed and built for heavy workloads and high mileage, so I’ll just keep on trucking.

My “camping log” shows I’ve slept in my “Hotel California” for a total of 179 nights thus far, so whilst it may be deprecating a bit more than average with my higher mileage it’s still one of the best and most affordable modes of transport I’ve even owned (with accommodation savings factored-in.)

The Cali has been my daily driver for the last few weeks while my brother in law sorts a few issues with my aging Jaguar XF at his garage. I live down winding Dorset lanes and can't relate to the width complaints - many modern cars are just as wide. Parking is a cinch - very few car parks are too low, and the straight sides and incredible steering lock make it much easier to park than the XF!
I consider daily ditching the car for the Cali, but so far worries about fuel consumption and depreciation outweigh it (plus of course I absolutely love the Jag!)

only drive since 2012 works for me.

Using mine as a daily drive, having swapped my disco for this don't find the width a problem, its a tad longer, more worried about inconsiderate people dinging it in car parks at the moment, i know you shouldn't worry but its been a considerable investment for us and would like to keep it looking good. Fuel is slightly better than the disco so don't really have an issue using at such.

It was our primary and only vehicle for a few years, only EV now outranks it. Zero problems as a daily drive, love hearing the camping gear jingling every now and again. Also clients never noticed, assumed it was a minibus and I had a big family, actually a good conversation starter when you tell them its a camper!
2 sets of friends and my sister also using them as daily drives.

Good afternoon,

I use my van as a daily drive to work, shopping, leisure etc.

The Tiguan I had before used about in average 7.2/100 km (after the software update). The van uses in average (real live) 6.7/100 km. I don't believe using the van doesn't come with a penalty of more cost for diesel.

I live in the country side (Kildare) with narrow roads. Yes, sometimes it can gets a bit tricky, but not much more as with the Tiguan.

The only problem I have is parking in a multi story car park. I would never attempt to use a multi story car park with 2m height and there are only a few 2.10m in Dublin. Good that multi story car park in Dublin Airport (terminal 2) is 2.10m.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thank you thinking of doing the same current,y have e class merc and do similar mileage to you.
How do you find parking? Especially multi stories has that been an issue?

Well in the bigger cities here in Sweden most parking garages are limited to 2m or 1.9m which can be interesting at times. But usually then I’ll just take a turn around the block and find some streetside parking. Parking sensors and camera, not any harder than parking the Lexus. I’m also quite picky about parking spots as I don’t like to have doors banged in to my vehicle so I usually walk a few 100m than risk it.

Good evening,

BayCatOne I agree. People sometimes are careless and open the door as if there is a fire in the car, no regards for the cars / vans parked beside them.

The good thing is that everybody tries to park as close to the entry as possible. It seems that each step is too much (funny to see the gym bag in the back of the car :) ). If there is room I try to park away as far as possible.
But on a regular basis I get a crisis coming back to the van - picture an empty corner of a car park (lets say 50 spaces free) and bang beside the van somebody else parked. WHY? Is the van a car magnet? :( . I never understood that.

In Dublin there is Fleet Street multi story car park. I actually walked in. It is in the middle of Dublin. Yes, it is high enough but the spaces are so small that everybody is nicely cuddled together. And because it seems the only car park in the city centre which is 2.10m high all the builder vans and family cars with roof boxes are in there. So the urge to park there is low.

Regards,
Eberhard

Daily driver + walk two muddy dogs everyday...even in this weather :(
Drove a t5 Panel for 10 years as a daily before that. California is way better :)

The Cali has been my daily driver for the last few weeks while my brother in law sorts a few issues with my aging Jaguar XF at his garage. I live down winding Dorset lanes and can't relate to the width complaints - many modern cars are just as wide. Parking is a cinch - very few car parks are too low, and the straight sides and incredible steering lock make it much easier to park than the XF!
I consider daily ditching the car for the Cali, but so far worries about fuel consumption and depreciation outweigh it (plus of course I absolutely love the Jag!)

I agree. I live in North Dorset also and don't find country roads any more of a problem than they used to be with my x trail. I really like the versatility of the van in everyday use.

Back