Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean Petrol

That’s insane.
This premium tax over 40k is an awful concept. You buy a Cali for £55k and get clobbered for the same money as a £250k Lamborghini Avantador...???

Volkswagen need to get the California reclassified as a van instead of a car otherwise sales will go down
Lambo is £2000 first year a whopping £800 more than a TSi Cali;)
Same after that.

So, I have had the 150 Caravelle Tsi on loan for almost a week now and I’m afraid it’s very disappointing.
It’s far to underpowered for this vehicle. You get a massive surge of turbo very low down to get things going, which initially feels quick, but then it runs out of legs and above 3000rpm not much left. It feels like it lacks torque and on
motorways it so frustrating.

I put £30 of Petrol in and it covered 109 miles, mixed driving. Sorry can’t remember how many litres that was.

This one has a manual box, but it absolutely needs DSG.
On a plus point the engine is very quiet and is nice around town not having the usual diesel clatter.

Verdict.
I wouldn’t touch this 150 unit, perhaps the 204 will be better. Would like to try one to compare...

Last edited:
Do you have / have you tried a 150 TDI DSG by comparison?

Yes.
Had one last year for 3 days. IMO that engine feels like it has more grunt. Not sure what the torque figures are between the two...?
Definitely better fuel consumption on the diesel.
Bonus for Petrol, no ad blu no dpf’s etc.
Maybe you could live with the Petrol for these reasons.
That is something worth considering...???

Still have it for at least another week and have a long motorway jaunt this weekend, so will do an update.

Should add.
The Caravelle is a heavy vehicle, but its empty.
Imagine a California with all the camping gear and a couple of passengers.
I think this 150tsi would struggle

To be fair to the petrol version, I'd be interested in hearing your views at the end of the week. I know it takes me some time to adjust to a very different hire car on holiday. I imagine the adjustment is even harder when all your muscle memory and senses say you are in your old diesel Cali.

My boss purchased a Caravelle 204PS TSI petrol and I think he regrets it as after 5,000 miles he is still only getting an average of 24MPG, this coupled with the band K VED it makes me woder why anyone is considering a petrol

I’ll let you know when my TSI arrives Duncan. My personal view is that there are counter arguments, swings and roundabouts re initial costs vs ongoing costs vs servicing etc etc, bottom line for me is that I prefer Petrol engines, even knowing the lower mpg etc. If life were all about making the most sensible choice each time based on anaylising every possible angle, I wouldn’t have my Golf R, I’d probably have a 1.4. I wouldn’t have my motorbikes, I wouldn’t have rebuilt an old LR just for the fun of it, because it definitely cost more than I sold it for ...

Now if the TSI is a lemon, and there seem to be enough European owners happy with theirs, I may regret my decision, although how does the song go ? Je ne regrette rien, .... well maybe a few things, I wish I still had my fiesta XR2 d Reg

My boss purchased a Caravelle 204PS TSI petrol and I think he regrets it as after 5,000 miles he is still only getting an average of 24MPG, this coupled with the band K VED it makes me woder why anyone is considering a petrol
Ask him to check the consumption on fill to mileage rather than the on board computer. My mates Caravelle now averages 22mpg on fill to fill but he accepts that as what he expected. He is concerned though regarding the high CO2 output.

May be a duplicate reference but this RAC article gives a guide without bias.
has a quiz at the end as to what would suit you.
Aimed at cars mainly but useful.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/petrol-or-diesel/
It doesn't mention adblue and the massive reduction in NOx.
I also read in a shop today that some professor in London is wanting electric vehicles to be restricted as well as diesel and petrol cars due to the dust from brakes and tyres. Seems we may be the last generation to know freedom to travel alone.

May be a duplicate reference but this RAC article gives a guide without bias.
has a quiz at the end as to what would suit you.
Aimed at cars mainly but useful.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/petrol-or-diesel/

What made me laugh about the article was this,

• Petrol engines need to be revved to give their best, so they suit a ‘sportier’ driving style – and, by extension, a manual gearbox.
Not on that 150 petrol. Its sounds hideous above 3000 rpm. You change gear as fast as possible to prevent hearing the poor bugger squeal....

Just putting the foot down a bit John.
Motorway speeds, the engine is nice and quiet. Will check tomorrow, when I’m out and about.

I filled her up to day. So will see what a full tank does.

Petrol Caravelle 150bhp Manual

64.08 litres light to light.
375 miles to the tank.
Approx 26.6 mpg

That’s was a drive to the north east coast this weekend. I would say 90% motorway and cruising at the low to mid 8something ;)

It’s not that bad, I think I could live with one. Although, surely the bigger 204bhp is the one to go for...???
I can’t understand why you can’t have that Petrol engine in the Beach...?
Not only can you not have the bigger engine, but the 150bhp petrol is manual only. DSG would suit the vehicle better as your not high revving a van around. That’s the kind of thing you buy a sport car for.

Back