Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean Petrol

Hi Digger
Sorry don't know how I got these two queries in the same reply box.Yes I think you are right - I am sure both diesel and petrol are going to be banned eventually. Here is a link to uk government Vehicle Certification Agency on fuel consumption - a bit of a long read.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/new-car-fuel-consump.asp
Thanks Izzi
My concern now is people will buy in to the petrol version and then be subject to the same penalties and restrictions as diesel owners. If my highways guy was right then high CO₂ owners will be hit at the same time as the diesel restrictions. He was adamant the higher CO₂ was as great a problem as NOx.

Thanks Izzi
My concern now is people will buy in to the petrol version and then be subject to the same penalties and restrictions as diesel owners. If my highways guy was right then high CO₂ owners will be hit at the same time as the diesel restrictions. He was adamant the higher CO₂ was as great a problem as NOx.

Digger, I agree over time restrictions will be made on all combustion engines, both from a 'we need to keep the same amount of tax coming in' and the quite right 'environmental' concerns, although I'm still not convinced that the creation and disposal of 'batteries' for hybrid cars does not do the same kind of environmental damage... I guess until we can run cars on air and produce twice the quantity of air used back into the environment from the exhaust we are all doomed ;-)

Said it on another thread.
But never seen a petrol parking heater. Webasto & Eberspacher being the most well known from the boating, truck and campervan world all seem to be from a diesel back ground.
Saying that, a lot of camper vehicles in the US and they tend to favour Gasoline.
Be great if Volkswagen does have a solution, but from experiencing their lovely customer service. I doubt it.
Not sure I would be handing over £50k-£60k for a camping vehicle with no auxiliary heat source:headbang

Always fancied a petrol myself, but am concerned how much torque it will have and if real world consumption will be terrible in the petrol version.

We need a 3.0tdi V6
Yes I think there will be torque but I think, as with most things, you get used to it - and also about 20% less mpg. Waiting to hear from dealer and their enquiries with VW

Thanks Izzi
Indeed - that is my worry - and I might as well have gone with the tried and tested diesel!

Izzi, don't worry I'm sure you'll sort the heater out one way or another. From experience the 2l vw petrol engine is a cracker... albeit it's the one in my golf R.

Izzi, don't worry I'm sure you'll sort the heater out one way or another. From experience the 2l vw petrol engine is a cracker... albeit it's the one in my golf R.
Great - sounds good - I like to hear positive stuff - especially given the price tag and snags.

Not sure if it would be the same. But worth doing some research.
I'm sure a remap in that could be exciting :Stig
I drove the Golf R a couple of years ago and was so impressed. Has to be one of the best all round cars money can buy.

Not sure if it would be the same. But worth doing some research.
I'm sure a remap in that could be exciting :Stig
I drove the Golf R a couple of years ago and was so impressed. Has to be one of the best all round cars money can buy.

No I'm sure it's a little different ;-)... I've had the R for over 3 years and it is one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned, it does everything, although it doesn't take 4 adults and luggage very well...

Said it on another thread.
But never seen a petrol parking heater. Webasto & Eberspacher being the most well known from the boating, truck and campervan world all seem to be from a diesel back ground.
Saying that, a lot of camper vehicles in the US and they tend to favour Gasoline.
Be great if Volkswagen does have a solution, but from experiencing their lovely customer service. I doubt it.
Not sure I would be handing over £50k-£60k for a camping vehicle with no auxiliary heat source:headbang

Always fancied a petrol myself, but am concerned how much torque it will have and if real world consumption will be terrible in the petrol version.

We need a 3.0tdi V6
Webasto definitely make a Petrol Powered D2.
I don't know but presume Adblue is not used on the TSI so if a petrol powered heater was considered risky why couldn't VW just fit a Diesel heater and use the Adblue tank to hold Diesel.
It seem absolutely barking mad to make a Campervan without some form of Parking Heater. Makes a complete mockery of all those PR photos of the California in remote places with not a hookup in sight.:headbang:headbang

Answer received from VW Customer Service...

I can confirm that the California Ocean TSI comes with a programmable Parking heater with radio remote control as standard. This supplementary air heater is able to fully heat the air in the vehicle with the ignition switched off. It is controlled via either the radio remote control , providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temp. I can also confirm that this parking heater is electric.

I should have asked more technical questions regarding drain etc ;-) but they also confirmed I have to select ACC as an option, but it's not selectable either by dealers or myself !!!

Webasto definitely make a Petrol Powered D2.
I don't know but presume Adblue is not used on the TSI so if a petrol powered heater was considered risky why couldn't VW just fit a Diesel heater and use the Adblue tank to hold Diesel.
It seem absolutely barking mad to make a Campervan without some form of Parking Heater. Makes a complete mockery of all those PR photos of the California in remote places with not a hookup in sight.:headbang:headbang
Totally agree, also begs the question of heating an electric Cali.

I can confirm that the California Ocean TSI comes with a programmable Parking heater with radio remote control as standard. This supplementary air heater is able to fully heat the air in the vehicle with the ignition switched off. It is controlled via either the radio remote control , providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temp. I can also confirm that this parking heater is electric.

I should have asked more technical questions regarding drain etc ;-) but they also confirmed I have to select ACC as an option, but it's not selectable either by dealers or myself !!!
Well that might answer my question above but I question the practicality of the heater not hooked up to a site.

I can also confirm that this parking heater is electric.

Right.
So are Volkswagen saying the diesel heater has now been dumped for an electric version...?
No way will the current leisure battery system be able to power a fridge and aux heating systems for very long without hookup.
This is a little disturbing.
I've been in Spain the last 2 weeks and used the diesel heater quite a bit, surprisingly.

Also a lot of the campsites here are only a 5/6amp supply.

I am fully open to a petrol Cali, but auxiliary heating is an absolute must and it must work off grid...

Right.
So are Volkswagen saying the diesel heater has now been dumped for an electric version...?
No way will the current leisure battery system be able to power a fridge and aux heating systems for very long without hookup.
This is a little disturbing.
I've been in Spain the last 2 weeks and used the diesel heater quite a bit, surprisingly.

Also a lot of the campsites here are only a 5/6amp supply.

I am fully open to a petrol Cali, but auxiliary heating is an absolute must and it must work off grid...

No, just the TSI Petrol, I assume the diesel's will stay as is...

No I'm sure it's a little different ;-)... I've had the R for over 3 years and it is one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned, it does everything, although it doesn't take 4 adults and luggage very well...

I am thinking of buying one next year. Can't decide wether to replace my current Cali to T6 or buy another car.
Have a 987.2 S in the garage and the plan is to keep it long term. Its a stunning car and I believe it will increase in value long term.
However need something else more practical to join the stable as the 987 only has two seat and we need 3 :headbang
Wife not happy when I'm away in the Cali and she's stuck at home with no transport.
Golf R would be a nice everyday car, or BMW M235i...?

Unless of course the Leisure Battery has been increased in output to 250/300 amp hours. Possible I suppose.

I am thinking of buying one next year. Can't decide wether to replace my current Cali to T6 or buy another car.
Have a 987.2 S in the garage and the plan is to keep it long term. Its a stunning car and I believe it will increase in value long term.
However need something else more practical to join the stable as the 987 only has two seat and we need 3 :headbang
Wife not happy when I'm away in the Cali and she's stuck at home with no transport.
Golf R would be a nice everyday car, or BMW M235i...?

Oh very nice on the Porsche, I did want to get the 917, but my wife feels the T6 will be more practical. I think the BMW is a lovely car as well and only you can decide after trying them out, which will be the fun part. My view on the R (and sorry Izzi for stealing the thread)... It looks understated compared to much of the competition but I believe in real life driving you will find it just as rewarding and fun as the 987 (I think it may actually be a little faster?). Put it in any of the modes, but Race, and it's as placid as you want it to be, and yet jumps into action if you need a little more from it (not economy mode). I personally don't use race mode much at all, it's just a little jumpy and as most of the noise is made from the 'electrics' it's a little pointless (but I must admit fun). No-one really takes much notice of it, other than those who know their cars, so as mentioned, nice and understated, except by the two guys in balaclavas who tried to break into my house back in February to get the keys to the car !!!

Oh very nice on the Porsche, I did want to get the 917. No-one really takes much notice of it, other than those who know their cars, so as mentioned, nice and understated, except by the two guys in balaclavas who tried to break into my house back in February to get the keys to the car !!!

Nice car selection Thruxton.
This is happening all over. Pretty much everyone I know who owns or use to own a fast Audi, has had a break in key theft or attempted theft.
A friend of mine had 3 guys kicking his front door in at 11pm to get his brand new S3 keys.
Frightened the life out of him. Sold the car, the very next day :(

What's the c
Unless of course the Leisure Battery has been increased in output to 250/300 amp hours. Possible I suppose.

What's the current capacity...?
Surely bigger batteries will require more space

Back