Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean Petrol

Izzi

Izzi

Carpe diem
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone
I am a retired therapist - still working as a photographer and will be travelling with my dog. Today I ordered an ocean petrol 204. I had been waiting and watching for a petrol version to be publicized and suddenly it was listed in the configuration section quietly with no announcement. My van is at a UK port and I should have it in a couple of weeks. It was not my own configuration and I bought it on the basis that I could have it fairly soon - though it does have a few things which were on my list such as cruise control, parking sensors and cameras and shower attachment.
There are no reviews of the petrol version to be found - at least in english. What I do know is that there is no parking heater and no option for adaptive cruise control should you want that. I read about the ecomat 2000 ceramic heater on this site and think I will go for that. Just hope it will last a night in cold weather on the leisure batteries.
I have really enjoyed and learned a lot through reading the threads and links on this forum over the past year or so. I am very grateful for all the useful information and opinions on the various possibilities for a camper van. I have never had a camper van before and having decided on the Ecomat am not sure what the next important essentials may be. I have wondered about how important it is to have a portable toilet. Given the space restrictions, how many things can you store, such as a BBQ and how important is it to have a tarpaulin. So much to think about - and so glad to be here.

We will have to ask the mods to add a 'petrol' or 'diesel' item to avatars now.

Hi everyone
I am a retired therapist - still working as a photographer and will be travelling with my dog. Today I ordered an ocean petrol 204. I had been waiting and watching for a petrol version to be publicized and suddenly it was listed in the configuration section quietly with no announcement. My van is at a UK port and I should have it in a couple of weeks. It was not my own configuration and I bought it on the basis that I could have it fairly soon - though it does have a few things which were on my list such as cruise control, parking sensors and cameras and shower attachment.
There are no reviews of the petrol version to be found - at least in english. What I do know is that there is no parking heater and no option for adaptive cruise control should you want that. I read about the ecomat 2000 ceramic heater on this site and think I will go for that. Just hope it will last a night in cold weather on the leisure batteries.
I have really enjoyed and learned a lot through reading the threads and links on this forum over the past year or so. I am very grateful for all the useful information and opinions on the various possibilities for a camper van. I have never had a camper van before and having decided on the Ecomat am not sure what the next important essentials may be. I have wondered about how important it is to have a portable toilet. Given the space restrictions, how many things can you store, such as a BBQ and how important is it to have a tarpaulin. So much to think about - and so glad to be here.
The max power from the batteries via the inverter is 150w, to use that heater you'll need hookup power.

I have wondered about how important it is to have a portable toilet.

Portable toilet -- only you know how long you can hold on.
:welcome Re petrol Cali you will have the heads up on most of us.

Interesting flat-out-magazine article. Similar to the car magazine one http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...nia-2017-review-camping-at-the-arctic-circle/.

They say thier cali was a 4motion TSI. The UK configurator doesnt have a 4motion option in petrol. Anyone heard if it is going to be available in the UK at some point?

They also say they are 2wd but the Cali's in the photos have 4motion badges on the grills and they say it is a 2.0 diesel. I think you should ignore most of this article.

Yes, sorry for not being clear, I was referring to the 'flat-out' article which says they are 4motion TSI and have electric heaters.

Izzi I'm still getting conflicting views from the dealers and brochures about the aux heater. Yesterday my dealer said his options shows it comes with one, as does the online configurator, electric or not... I know I've taken a risk on TSI with the confusion on the options, so we will see what happens. But now with the dealer confirming it has one, It will be an interesting conversation if it turns up without one !!!

The max power from the batteries via the inverter is 150w, to use that heater you'll need hookup power.
Thanks for this - I will check again. I asked the technician at VW Wooburn Green if I could use the ecomat 2000 and showed him the specs. He said it should be fine - I wondered if the spec on the battery might have changed. I have to find out more precisely - dealer not sure.

Izzi I'm still getting conflicting views from the dealers and brochures about the aux heater. Yesterday my dealer said his options shows it comes with one, as does the online configurator, electric or not... I know I've taken a risk on TSI with the confusion on the options, so we will see what happens. But now with the dealer confirming it has one, It will be an interesting conversation if it turns up without one !!!
VERY interesting - I hope your dealer is correct. This happened to me and I suggested to the dealer that surely VW would not allow the long standing camper van - even if petrol - to be without a heater. The dealer, requested clarification from VW and received a notification from VW Germany saying there was no parking heater and that the online configuration set up was wrong!! I took a chance in the hope that I would find something that would do the job, especially as I plan to travel in the colder months to Scotland and Europe. When do you get yours? Mine is due in about 10 days.

Well that is not good news - I will have to try to find something compatible.

Yes, sorry for not being clear, I was referring to the 'flat-out' article which says they are 4motion TSI and have electric heaters.
Great article - I am grateful to you for pointing it out. I do hope there is an auxiliary heater even in the 2WD. I sent the dealer a link to the article and have asked them to check with VW.

Does anyone have contacts with local authority planners re the issue with high CO₂ figures?. I spoke to a local authority highways official who was adamant that vehicles with high CO₂ such as the California Petrol would be subject to the same restrictions as the diesel version.
It would appear they are all running scared and determined to tax us out of existence.

VERY interesting - I hope your dealer is correct. This happened to me and I suggested to the dealer that surely VW would not allow the long standing camper van - even if petrol - to be without a heater. The dealer, requested clarification from VW and received a notification from VW Germany saying there was no parking heater and that the online configuration set up was wrong!! I took a chance in the hope that I would find something that would do the job, especially as I plan to travel in the colder months to Scotland and Europe. When do you get yours? Mine is due in about 10 days.

Not until Christmas, so I've probably got time to change if I get a direct answer. I've contacted VWCS with the same question, which you may have had the answer to!! I can't believe that a car company can sell a £60k car and have so much confusion between brochures / configurators etc... then again some will say I shouldn't buy without knowing, but I do like my petrol engines ;-), but as you say, it's easy enough to go aftermarket for a solution and still have an engine I like

Does anyone have contacts with local authority planners re the issue with high CO₂ figures?. I spoke to a local authority highways official who was adamant that vehicles with high CO₂ such as the California Petrol would be subject to the same restrictions as the diesel version.
It would appear they are all running scared and determined to tax us out of existence.
Not until Christmas, so I've probably got time to change if I get a direct answer. I've contacted VWCS with the same question, which you may have had the answer to!! I can't believe that a car company can sell a £60k car and have so much confusion between brochures / configurators etc... then again some will say I shouldn't buy without knowing, but I do like my petrol engines ;-), but as you say, it's easy enough to go aftermarket for a solution and still have an engine I like
I will be interested to hear what they say. Good luck

I will be interested to hear what they say. Good luck
Hi Digger
Sorry don't know how I got these two queries in the same reply box.Yes I think you are right - I am sure both diesel and petrol are going to be banned eventually. Here is a link to uk government Vehicle Certification Agency on fuel consumption - a bit of a long read.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/new-car-fuel-consump.asp

Said it on another thread.
But never seen a petrol parking heater. Webasto & Eberspacher being the most well known from the boating, truck and campervan world all seem to be from a diesel back ground.
Saying that, a lot of camper vehicles in the US and they tend to favour Gasoline.
Be great if Volkswagen does have a solution, but from experiencing their lovely customer service. I doubt it.
Not sure I would be handing over £50k-£60k for a camping vehicle with no auxiliary heat source:headbang

Always fancied a petrol myself, but am concerned how much torque it will have and if real world consumption will be terrible in the petrol version.

We need a 3.0tdi V6

Exc
Range Rover have had parking heaters fitted in their Petrol v8 models for years. Webasto ones.

Excellent
Sounds promising.
Although, I thought all Oceans came with parking heaters as standard item...???

Just done some digging.
Webasto do have a Petrol version.

At least that one obstacle out the way.
Now, why would Volkswagen supply an Ocean without a parking heater...???

Back