Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean Petrol

What's the c

What's the current capacity...?
Surely bigger batteries will require more space
2 x 75 amp. BUT if not carrying a Diesel Heater then there could be room under R hand Front seat for a 3rd battery and increase capacities of the other 2 ? possible within the same dimensions.

Are Euro6 Diesel engines not cleaner than Petrol on both scores with AddBlu?
It is all quite confusing - what with addblu supposedly fixing the particulates and N0x levels of emissions.
Check out this research comparison site:
'The investigations into difference between test and real world emissions are the cause of the problem. The Dutch transport laboratory, TNO, found that real world NOx emissions for Euro 6 engines were 8 times greater than the standard. UK testing of vehicles found them to be 6 times greater than the Euro 6 test standard.'
Web site below
http://pwc.blogs.com/sustainability...r-petrol-cars-better-for-the-environment.html

Izzi
When you do in depth research you discover the reports make generalisations and assumptions then put out reports which contradict other real world testing. Truth is the lower powered diesels and very high powered vehicles do come out badly. (VW Caddy and Transporter come out much better and are actually quite good).
Much research is flawed and that is the main reason politicians and the press have a field day. They cannot extract the true picture and rely on advisor's, many of whom have an agenda.

Izzi I'm still getting conflicting views from the dealers and brochures about the aux heater. Yesterday my dealer said his options shows it comes with one, as does the online configurator, electric or not... I know I've taken a risk on TSI with the confusion on the options, so we will see what happens. But now with the dealer confirming it has one, It will be an interesting conversation if it turns up without one !!!
Hi
I just spoke with my dealer who categorically says there is no heater in TSi. He says he has been in touch with the manufacturers who have confirmed this. I told him aout the quote you sent from customer services. He suggested that customer services was not the same as the manufacturer. Apparently mine is due next week so will be checking that out first. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

I spoke to my dealer this morning and in the last 5 years they have never been asked for a petrol transporter of caddy van and there is nothing in place to change this
It does seem VW are targeting the California market with fear to need to buy petrol now
why would anyone consider buying a petrol engine with an electric heater sorry makes no sence

I have a Nissan leaf with electric heater /air con if you leave home with 90mile range after you have gone 1 mile range is down to 70 miles
To try to limit battery life they have fitted heated seats and heated steering wheel
Also if its cold mileage is down even more
If its -1 you need to leave it plugged in so the battery heaters are on
Real mileage during the winter is around 60miles per charge and you want to try an electric heater :thumb

If you are considering buying petrol make sure you try a demo first then make up your mind but you wont find one yet

But is the electric heater meaning you run the engine
Sorry I don't buy it :thanks

Answer received from VW Customer Service...

I can confirm that the California Ocean TSI comes with a programmable Parking heater with radio remote control as standard. This supplementary air heater is able to fully heat the air in the vehicle with the ignition switched off. It is controlled via either the radio remote control , providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temp. I can also confirm that this parking heater is electric.

I should have asked more technical questions regarding drain etc ;-) but they also confirmed I have to select ACC as an option, but it's not selectable either by dealers or myself !!!

Hey there
I just found the T6 brochure - see below
'https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...ons/original./MY18_california_t6_brochure.pdf
On page 13 it says this
'Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control
and auxiliary heater (coolant) – not available on TSI models.'
I am hoping (but not holding my breath) there might be some other alternative - but if true I think this is worth a very big complaint to VW

I spoke to my dealer this morning and in the last 5 years they have never been asked for a petrol transporter of caddy van and there is nothing in place to change this
It does seem VW are targeting the California market with fear to need to buy petrol now
why would anyone consider buying a petrol engine with an electric heater sorry makes no sence

I have a Nissan leaf with electric heater /air con if you leave home with 90mile range after you have gone 1 mile range is down to 70 miles
To try to limit battery life they have fitted heated seats and heated steering wheel
Also if its cold mileage is down even more
If its -1 you need to leave it plugged in so the battery heaters are on
Real mileage during the winter is around 60miles per charge and you want to try an electric heater :thumb

If you are considering buying petrol make sure you try a demo first then make up your mind but you wont find one yet

But is the electric heater meaning you run the engine
Sorry I don't buy it :thanks

My dealer in Wooburn Green says they sell a lot of petrol transporters. I guess it depends on which part of the country you are in.

My dealer in Wooburn Green says they sell a lot of petrol transporters. I guess it depends on which part of the country you are in.
By the way - there is apparently no electric heater - same as beach.

Unless of course the Leisure Battery has been increased in output to 250/300 amp hours. Possible I suppose.

Here are batteries in T6 TSi petrol Ocean
'Two 72Ah auxiliary batteries – maintenance free with cut-off
relay for powering living area. Second battery – operating voltage12v plus 230v AC inverter.'

On page 13 it says this
I am hoping (but not holding my breath) there might be some other alternative - but if true I think this is worth a very big complaint to VW[

California OceanTSI models do have a parking heater air they don't have a coolant pre heater.

Electric heaters will be run on the optional extra EFOY fuel cell.:)

Electric heaters will be run on the optional extra EFOY fuel cell.:)

Which takes up additional boot space. Do you really want to sleep next to a tank of liquid methanol...???

I think I will stick with diesel until sensible alternatives have been found

On page 13 it says this
I am hoping (but not holding my breath) there might be some other alternative - but if true I think this is worth a very big complaint to VW[

California OceanTSI models do have a parking heater air they don't have a coolant pre heater.

I thought that may be the difference thanks mucksmuff ....

It's been said on other threads that it has a petrol heater. This is from the owner of a delivered van in the Netherlands.

Just ordered the same 204 petrol from Germany - to pick up directly at the factory. Definitely has a petrol parking heater, and all other options including DSG and ACC.

Well that is good news. I hope the ones destined for the UK are the same.

My guess is that neither Eberspacher or Webasto have yet produced a special version of their petrol fueled blown air heaters that interface with Volkswagen's CANBUS control that you all use to control the diesel versions on a Cali. I can see no reason that would prevent the fitting of a petrol fueled heater in the normal place under the right front seat as an aftermarket fitment controlled by an independent controller. You could then have true thermostatic control with or without timer and/or remote control. The only difference visibly would be a little digital thermostat working just like a domestic one.
You will find UK suppliers that can supply and fit such a unit see https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehicle-heater-kits-c1/petrol-t462 and others.

Rod

I fitted a dual-fuel electric & gas heater to my previous T5 conversion. Tapped into the grill/hob gas bottle for use when off-grid, or to mains electric hook-up when on a site. Was too big to go under the front seat, but may be an option:

https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/cat/blown-air-heating

I’m curious about the petrol Cali, but I wouldn’t buy a van without a factory heater / control unit again. Interested to see what’s actually fitted to these TSIs as they start to trickle in.

Last edited:
I fitted a dual-fuel electric & gas heater to my previous T5 conversion. Tapped into the grill/hob gas bottle for use when off-grid, or to mains electric hook-up when on a site. Was too big to go under the front seat, but may be an option:

https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/cat/blown-air-heating

I’m curious about the petrol Cali, but I wouldn’t buy a van without a factory heater / control unit again. Interested to see what’s actually fitted to these TSIs as they start to trickle in.
Thanks - sounds like a practical option - will keep it in mind. Though hopefully all will be ok.

Right.
So are Volkswagen saying the diesel heater has now been dumped for an electric version...?
No way will the current leisure battery system be able to power a fridge and aux heating systems for very long without hookup.
This is a little disturbing.
I've been in Spain the last 2 weeks and used the diesel heater quite a bit, surprisingly.

Also a lot of the campsites here are only a 5/6amp supply.

I am fully open to a petrol Cali, but auxiliary heating is an absolute must and it must work off grid...
On page 13 it says this

Quite right - thank you - see confirmation below

Finally, there is a parking heater in Cali Ocean Tsi. Managed to get two conflicting VW departments to sort this out and here is their reply.
'I can confirm that Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and auxiliary heater (coolant) is a standard feature on the California diesel models, and runs using the fuel in the vehicle. This is unavailable on the California petrol models.

However, the Programmable parking heater with radio remote control, comes as standard on the California petrol models and is electric.

Both of the above parking heaters are able to heat the air in the vehicle when the ignition is switched off. This information has been confirmed by our Product Support Team'

Finally, there is a parking heater in Cali Ocean Tsi. Managed to get two conflicting VW departments to sort this out and here is their reply.
'I can confirm that Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and auxiliary heater (coolant) is a standard feature on the California diesel models, and runs using the fuel in the vehicle. This is unavailable on the California petrol models.

However, the Programmable parking heater with radio remote control, comes as standard on the California petrol models and is electric.

Both of the above parking heaters are able to heat the air in the vehicle when the ignition is switched off. This information has been confirmed by our Product Support Team'
Well you won't be doing much Off-Grid or Wild Camping during winter if that is the case. A definite retrograde step in my opinion. However, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if VW have given you incorrect information as on another thread a member from Belgium who actually has taken delivery of a TSI has stated he has a petrol powered Parking Heater and I cannot see there being something different for the UK market.

Well you won't be doing much Off-Grid or Wild Camping during winter if that is the case. A definite retrograde step in my opinion. However, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if VW have given you incorrect information as on another thread a member from Belgium who actually has taken delivery of a TSI has stated he has a petrol powered Parking Heater and I cannot see there being something different for the UK market.
Yes, that was my thought too. I have written back asking for the running time of batteries for parking overnight if there is no hook up

Said it on another thread.
But never seen a petrol parking heater. Webasto & Eberspacher being the most well known from the boating, truck and campervan world all seem to be from a diesel back ground.
Saying that, a lot of camper vehicles in the US and they tend to favour Gasoline.
Be great if Volkswagen does have a solution, but from experiencing their lovely customer service. I doubt it.
Not sure I would be handing over £50k-£60k for a camping vehicle with no auxiliary heat source:headbang

Always fancied a petrol myself, but am concerned how much torque it will have and if real world consumption will be terrible in the petrol version.

We need a 3.0tdi V6
VW fitted petrol heaters in some of their cars in the 1970s. They were very effective.

It's been said on other threads that it has a petrol heater. This is from the owner of a delivered van in the Netherlands.
Indeed - I saw postsncrom netherlanfs Belgium and Fran e sY they had a petrol heater. I am beginning to wonder about tjese VW folk in UK and whether they have the correct infornation

Back