Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New engine required!

1400sfm

1400sfm

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all
My 2014 California requires a complete new engine I have been informed today by Newcastle van center.
Headed up to Northumberland on Sunday for a few days with the wife and dogs.
All was fine until Tuesday morning just after heading off for a day's activities my Cali decided to grind to a halt making a very strange noise.
After being recovered to Newcastle van center I have now been told a complete new engine has been ordered and will start to be fitted Friday.
I presume having a new engine fitted under warranty is all good but it here anything I need to be concerned about?
My Cali had done 28k and a large service/cam belt and water pump change would soon be hovering on the horizon, I presume this won't need to be done now?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

By the way cannot speak highly enough of Newcastle van center, got us into a brand new t6 Cali hire vehicle (200miles on the clock) swapped over all our gear, told us not to worry and go enjoy the rest of our break, unbelievable service, and the T6, wow I love it, just the small subtle changes I found over my T5 make so much difference, it seems so much more refined and less commercial.
If I ever decide to change, Newcastle will be my first port of call to try and get my business.

Will keep you updated

Thanks Simon

Wow what bad luck but saved by the good service.
What was the problem with the old engine that caused such terminal damage?

Excellent service Simon, good to hear, like snowy said will be good to know what the issue was.
Enjoy your T6

Mike

Wow what bad luck but saved by the good service.
What was the problem with the old engine that caused such terminal damage?

Apparently the auxiliary belt has sheared and snapped, this in turn has damaged the timing belt which has then caused terminal damage lower down, sorry not the most technical of people when it comes to things like this and also the message was relayed back from the van center to me from the wife.

Simon,

sorry to hear of your problems, not a pleasant thing to happen when on holiday.

Thank you for the heads up re Newcastle. There have been many good reports of them and whilst many dealers, quite rightly, get bad reviews I think it's also important that we hear of the good ones. It's those that deserve our business.

I hope you are all reunited soon and all goes well with the repairs.
'

Im guessing its the 180bhp engine.
Yep, that thing is a ticking time bomb...!!! Good luck with the rest of your trip and i hope you get sorted

Im guessing its the 180bhp engine.
Yep, that thing is a ticking time bomb...!!! Good luck with the rest of your trip and i hope you get sorted
And your reasoning for that statement.
Nothing wrong with a 2014 180, except that it is more powerful than the 140.

And your reasoning for that statement.
Nothing wrong with a 2014 180, except that it is more powerful than the 140.

You need to do some research my friend. The early 180s were an absolute dog of an engine. Lots of reported failures. Wouldn't touch a bi-turbo 2010-2013 model. Infact still wouldn't touch the later ones either.
Fair point this isn't the high oil use failure, but yet again it's another 180 that's kaput.

A few! Not many compared to the amount on the road, mine has done 50k and never missed a beat.

A few! Not many compared to the amount on the road, mine has done 50k and never missed a beat.

That's just one thread on one forum.
Even Volkswagen acknowledged the engine has issues and has rectified some engine failures outside of warranty.
Checking some of the other forums and social media reports.
You couldn't give me a 180.

Sorry to read of your problems but pleased of the service you received. I ordered from Newcastle and so far have been answering my few 'worried/checking' emails.

Tony is our salesmen, ex-army and so far no BS.

Teejay

You need to do some research my friend. The early 180s were an absolute dog of an engine. Lots of reported failures. Wouldn't touch a bi-turbo 2010-2013 model. Infact still wouldn't touch the later ones either.
Fair point this isn't the high oil use failure, but yet again it's another 180 that's kaput.
Need to go to SpecSavers - That is why I stated 2014 .
Secondly there were problems with some 180 BiTurbos manufactured between 2010/2011.
I would suggest you read those same threads you mentioned so that you get your facts correct. The problem was fixed for MY 2012. NOT all 180's were affected and the problem manifested itself with excessive oil consumption between 50 - 70,000 miles.

Need to go to SpecSavers - That is why I stated 2014 .
Secondly there were problems with some 180 BiTurbos manufactured between 2010/2011.
I would suggest you read those same threads you mentioned so that you get your facts correct. The problem was fixed for MY 2012. NOT all 180's were affected and the problem manifested itself with excessive oil consumption between 50 - 70,000 miles.

Yep, I've read through quite a bit. The result is Volkswagen can't do Bi-Turbos. That's coming from someone used to own one.
The 180 is a ticking time bomb. Wouldn't touch one with yours.

Let's hope Volkswagen have sorted post 2012 vehicles. I'm not confident, especially as they couldn't do it right first time. Steering knock was first reported in T5s and only just got sorted two years ago after massive online efforts. Otherwise we would all still be experiencing that.

Volkswagen, they aren't the best at conveying facts:rolleyes:

Yep, I've read through quite a bit. The result is Volkswagen can't do Bi-Turbos. That's coming from someone used to own one.
The 180 is a ticking time bomb. Wouldn't touch one with yours.
Well, we'll just have to disagree on that one. Properly serviced and used rather than standing idle for long periods of time then I see no additional problems since 2012. They are more expensive to buy and service and repair but then thats upto the purchaser to factor into the cost of ownership. As with any technologically advanced vehicle.
As to VW not being good at informing and dealing with customers - can't disagree on that point.:thumb

Personally, if it was my money. Buying new and only owning the vehicle for say 5 years i would take out the extended 5 years warranty with Volkswagen.

Buying secondhand out of warranty. I would look for the 140bhp everytime. Anyway after 5 years all the vehicles will need some kind of work. But as you stated, the 180bhp is far more complicated and will cost more to maintain.

Modern diesels are really becoming hard work with the extra stuff being added to satisfy emissions. I wish they did a decent petrol or bigger diesel lump such as 3.0V6

Purchased my Beach from Tony at Benfield Newcastle. great guy. Hope he's kept his job since Lookers took over. Just received email from Lookers today stating dealership on Fosseway closed as of 20th July.

I dont see where this problem has anything to do with the number of turbos? I had the exaxt same problem on my Volvo XC70 D5 2008 with a single turbo. Many engines with timing belt can have this issue.

A similar thing happened to me on a Peugeot I had. The auxiliary drive belt snapped a 65mph and one of the loose ends wrapped itself around the cam belt. This then locked the cam belt pulley and the engine ripped itself to pieces. It took seconds to do all the damage.
The engine had only been 120,000 miles and had been regularly serviced at the recommended intervals.
Peugeot engines are generally very long lasting, I was just unlucky.

Back