Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Laminated Glass Package in Cab for T6 California

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Firstly sorry for asking a question on glass but this is pretty specific. There are threads but I'm confused and would like up to date info.

Finalising my order and spent ages discussing glass options. It's an Ocean so beach options do not apply.

I obviously want Privacy Glass and told the dealer that. We also spoke about the option Z2C Laminated Glass Package in Cab and about 4HS heated rear window with wash wipe.

Dealer is going to stick it all through his system before I see him again on Thursday.

Looking at my paperwork so far I see he has selected the Z2C laminated in cab option and the 4HS heated rear window but there is no mention of the Privacy glass with heat insulation ?

So what is Z2C does it include Privacy Glass. What do I ask for?

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Mike,

I was exactly where you are in October. The glass options are crazy with various incompatibilities between the options that are listed. These are not stated in the price list - they only become apparent when the dealer tries to order them on the system. I got very confused so got my dealer to specifically check with VW brand support.

There is some information on this thread.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/whos-ordered-a-t6.11161/page-12#post-118155

My dealer got the following clarification for me:

"The 'Privacy' with laminate pack is 21.1% tint whilst the privacy option is 55% tint - according to VW Brand Support."

What I understood that to mean is that you have to choose either laminate or privacy. The laminate gives you the low noise coating on the windscreen and slightly thicker glass throughout. But the tint in the back is only 21.1%. If you go for the privacy option then the tint is 55%.

On that basis I went for the privacy option.

IMG_2750[1].JPG

Some folks are of the opinion that even the privacy option is not dark enough and have suggested getting the laminate pack and then having an aftermarket tint applied.

HOWEVER, this document has also been floating around - originally posted by Aidy P.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-glass-option-details-from-vwcv.12160/#post-119351

which seems to suggest that the laminated pack actually gives a darker tint in rear. There seems to be some confusion between % tint and % light transmission - which I guess are the opposite of each other.

For reference my Cali - above - is QL0.

PLUS - to confuse things even further, some option packs / combinations changed in the November price list - so all of the above could have been superceded.

One thing that I am fairly sure about is that the rear screen is double glazed as standard but you lose the double glazing if you select the heated rear screen.

I can only really suggest that you go back to the dealer again and get him to clarify again. Good Luck

PS. I'll post some more pics when I actually pick-up my van

Thanks. You have confirmed some of my suspicions as I have seen the documents you link to. I will have a good read and sit in a dark room then consult my dealer. I will report back. Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply.

Edit:- Like the tint on yours. Like you say issue is I suspect changes have been made. Since then.

Mike

Last edited:
View media item 812
In contrast to @DM I went for the laminate glass package. This image shows the tint you get so you can compare them. We didn't want it too dark as my kids sit in the back and like to enjoy the view and we wanted the supposed extra noise reduction and insulation (I can't compare it to anything but it is quiet when driving)

View media item 812
In contrast to @DM I went for the laminate glass package. This image shows the tint you get so you can compare them. We didn't want it too dark as my kids sit in the back and like to enjoy the view and we wanted the supposed extra noise reduction and insulation (I can't compare it to anything but it is quiet when driving)
Thanks Aidy, think I'm getting my head around this. Spreadsheet helps considerably. If they had put laminate glass is for noise reduction and incorporates privacy glass it would have made more sense. Instead it just says laminate glass in cab which made me think just the front. Now I've got it. Do I want yours which my dealer has selected with the thicker glass and noise reduction or DM one which is more private with better heat insulation due to being double glazed. Back windows appear the same as do windscreen although these are described differently. I doubt my dealer knows all this.

@T6 CFO Good luck!!
I'm hoping that the laminate glass will help keep the van cool in the sun for my kids in the back...but then driving this weekend on the motorway I got, 'the sun is in my eyes daddy'... So we pulled the blind down!

I suppose it depends if you want an after market tint or not. Probably best to ask your dealer if this affects the warranty.

I intend to use the van in Summer and the Winter so you can't really win and you trade benefits of one versus the other whichever you opt for.

It certainly warms up quick enough with the spec that I've got and it'll make no difference to whoever sleeps up top o_O

Just going to me and the wife most of the time so tempted to go for the laminate which will give me the noise reduction and yep the option of an after market tint. I believe they have it on a caravelle in the showroom so I can have a good look and compare. Can't believe it can be much colder as it's thicker glass. Figures are all a bit confusing to be honest. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@T6 CFO Good luck!!
I'm hoping that the laminate glass will help keep the van cool in the sun for my kids in the back...but then driving this weekend on the motorway I got, 'the sun is in my eyes daddy'... So we pulled the blind down!

I suppose it depends if you want an after market tint or not. Probably best to ask your dealer if this affects the warranty.

I intend to use the van in Summer and the Winter so you can't really win and you trade benefits of one versus the other whichever you opt for.

It certainly warms up quick enough with the spec that I've got and it'll make no difference to whoever sleeps up top o_O
I suspect we are all over-thinking this. I'm sure there are lots of options (Inc glass) that would be nice but we could do without. There's only a few that are really big decisions - swivelgate comes to mind.

Both those above look the same to me. I don't know exactly what our T5 came with as it was a showroom demo, I got what I was given. It's not very dark but people don't seem to be able to see us sitting inside as they often come over and gawk inside, unaware that we are there. It is double glazed from the sliding door to tailgate.

Decisions, decisions! Even worse when a Mrs is involved! I'm glad I haven't got that problem just now :D

Mike,

My dealer got the following clarification for me:

"The 'Privacy' with laminate pack is 21.1% tint whilst the privacy option is 55% tint - according to VW Brand Support."
This is so confusing! I'd thought that the Z2C laminated glass option gave you 21% visible light transmission in the back, rather than 21% tint, so would be a bit darker than the QL0 privacy option for Oceans. Back to the drawing board...:headbang

This is so confusing! I'd thought that the Z2C laminated glass option gave you 21% visible light transmission in the back, rather than 21% tint, so would be a bit darker than the QL0 privacy option for Oceans. Back to the drawing board...:headbang
Pain isn't it. You've no doubt seen the spreadsheets and read the threads. I've gone for the Z2C option and believe the tint/privacy is less than the QL0 option. The windscreens and rear windows on the spreadsheets look the same to me. Difference is on the side windows. It was a hard shout as I prefer the darker tint on the QL0 option but the sound insulation on the Z2C. I went for what to me was the better glass on the basis that if I need to I can always get a darker tint but I cannot change the glass. My decision was assisted by my wife's preference for the lighter look.

Mike

Pain isn't it. You've no doubt seen the spreadsheets and read the threads. I've gone for the Z2C option and believe the tint/privacy is less than the QL0 option. The windscreens and rear windows on the spreadsheets look the same to me. Difference is on the side windows. It was a hard shout as I prefer the darker tint on the QL0 option but the sound insulation on the Z2C. I went for what to me was the better glass on the basis that if I need to I can always get a darker tint but I cannot change the glass. My decision was assisted by my wife's preference for the lighter look.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Just before I read your post I spoke to VW Cust Services and the brand support people checked and advised them that Ocean Z2C privacy glass is darker than QL0. Think it'll be a case of wait and see what it looks like when it arrives. Like you I'm keeping the option open to add film later to get it just right.

Would you happen to know if any of the glazing in the middle side windows is laminated with Z2C? I know the description only says cab, but just wondered as they're not double glazed either.

Any info much appreciated - thanks:)

Thanks Mike. Just before I read your post I spoke to VW Cust Services and the brand support people checked and advised them that Ocean Z2C privacy glass is darker than QL0. Think it'll be a case of wait and see what it looks like when it arrives. Like you I'm keeping the option open to add film later to get it just right.

Would you happen to know if any of the glazing in the middle side windows is laminated with Z2C? I know the description only says cab, but just wondered as they're not double glazed either.

Any info much appreciated - thanks:)
You may want to have a look at this.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-glass-option-details-from-vwcv.12160/#post-119351

Posted earlier in thread as it gives very specific information. It is interesting because when you look at it it says to me that Z2C option will be darker. It gets very technical on UV thickness etc. I am hoping you are right as I would prefer the darker. You may get other replies as there has been much discussion on this subject. In the end some of the information I have received has conflicted so I went for the best glass and bail out option of being able to darken later if I had to. I am hoping your info is right and I get a nice surprise.

Edit: You will see there is a PDF to download and yes side windows laminated.

By looking at the light transmission column. For the Z2C laminated glass I would say that the glass in the driver and passenger side windows is lighter and the glass behind that in the passenger area is darker with the front windscreens and back windows being the same.

Last edited:
Could be a dangerous thing to say but very confident now that I have ordered the glass I want and understand the options.

I just got to have a look at mine at the dealer with laminated glass (Z2C) and the "privacy" tint looks something around 40% VLT (comparing to others) - well short of a privacy grade IMO. Now arranging to add 20% VLT film, as I think 5% VLT (limo tint) added to the factory tint could be too dark inside. Dealer very understanding though and sharing the cost using their film installer. I might get the front side windows done with 35% later on as laminated side windows are almost clear, will try it out for a while first.

I just got to have a look at mine at the dealer with laminated glass (Z2C) and the "privacy" tint looks something around 40% VLT (comparing to others) - well short of a privacy grade IMO. Now arranging to add 20% VLT film, as I think 5% VLT (limo tint) added to the factory tint could be too dark inside. Dealer very understanding though and sharing the cost using their film installer. I might get the front side windows done with 35% later on as laminated side windows are almost clear, will try it out for a while first.
Just to be aware - putting any level of tint on the front side windows will probably make them illegal. Tinting of front side windows have to let through 70% light and as most car glass is not clear (has a small level of tint) adding any tint will exceed this. The police have crackdowns on this from time to time, and you know what insurance company's can be like for wriggling out of a claim!

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

Any reputable company will refuse to tint the cab windows if doing so will exceed the Government Regulations. Also in the event of an accident your Insurance may well refuse to cover, no matter who is at fault. But your choice.

Any reputable company will refuse to tint the cab windows if doing so will exceed the Government Regulations. Also in the event of an accident your Insurance may well refuse to cover, no matter who is at fault. But your choice.
Completely agree, I wouldn't consider fitting anything on the front side windows without a batch sample being proved as fully legal on the actual window with a calibrated tint meter. I'd be interested to see if there's a film product available that keeps them inside the legal 70% limit. Agreed a film quoted as 35% will probably fail the test unless manufacturing tolerences are very loose, but a lighter film might possibly work as my laminated side windows look virtually clear! I've seen some interesting tests where calculated VLT is somewhat different to actual installed measurements. If I come up with anything interesting I'll be sure to post :thumb

You may want to have a look at this.

Posted earlier in thread as it gives very specific information. It is interesting because when you look at it it says to me that Z2C option will be darker. It gets very technical on UV thickness etc. I am hoping you are right as I would prefer the darker. You may get other replies as there has been much discussion on this subject. In the end some of the information I have received has conflicted so I went for the best glass and bail out option of being able to darken later if I had to. I am hoping your info is right and I get a nice surprise.

Edit: You will see there is a PDF to download and yes side windows laminated.

By looking at the light transmission column. For the Z2C laminated glass I would say that the glass in the driver and passenger side windows is lighter and the glass behind that in the passenger area is darker with the front windscreens and back windows being the same.
I have the laminated glass option and despite the PDFs document stating otherwise I think the privacy glass option is definitely darker in the rear. I find that how much you can see into my van from the outside depends on how close you are and at what angle you look through the windows. For some reason it seems darker when close up and lighter when further away. However it is dark enough for us. From the inside the tint is hardly noticeable so I think it is better for the rear passengers (who in my family are prone to travel sickness). I found the glass options very confusing as the descriptions are misleading. The best way to decide is to go and see vans at dealerships with the different options, this might be a pain but this wasn't an option when I ordered mine as there weren't vans available.

Don't forget that the laminated glass is also a safety feature.

For anyone who has or is getting an Ocean with laminated glass pack Z2C, here is ours before and after adding 20%VLT film internally to the rear windows. Now exactly what we wanted :thumbOrig glass Z2C.png With film.png
With film 2.jpg

4 pictures on here now make it very clear, or not depending on what you want.
1st picture of DMs shows the privacy glass and then the ones of Skinnee D with the laminate.
Personally I'm going to stick with the Laminate on the basis that I can make it darker if I need to but can't make it lighter and I want the qualities of the Laminate.
I shall revisit this thread and give an opinion when I get mine.

can anyone confirm that the rear window is still double glazed with the laminate glass pack
many thanks
Dave and Lisa

can anyone confirm that the rear window is still double glazed with the laminate glass pack
many thanks
Dave and Lisa
Yes the rear window is still double glazed when choosing the laminated glass package.

Thanks for your quick reply - that was my last question before ordering - many thanks

Back