Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California is not fun any more in UK weather!

By way of a variation on the awning theme... we use the larger Quechua 3x3m shelter rather than the popular but smaller Base Seconds:

https://www.quechua.co.uk/shelter-doors-arpenaz-camp-3x3-10-people-spf50fresh-white-id_8353348

It goes up in a few minutes, and we stash everything in there in poor weather, so we're comfortable in the van. We have had lousy weather on recent trips, but with the vehicle awning used as a large umbrella and the Quechua alongside, we've been able to have a great time. I know this solution is not for everyone, but it works for us in wet summer weather - we use a Vango driveway in winter.

We live in Cumbria so rain is the norm. You just need good wet gear. We do weekends in van and take a yearly three week break in Spain. Cali is great come rain or shine:happy

Feel your pain when it's wet and cold. We try to decamp to a pub and play Monopoly (the phone version is ace, easy to pack up).
We conversely find the opposite. It's hard in the California when it's 30°C +.
I wonder if there is an ideal temperature range?

So we had been waiting excitedly for our weeks holiday on the South coast for six months now and when it arrives it rains every day for us! This is not the first time this has occured, last year we had the same problem in Cumbria!

We have now come to the conclusion that the California is really not suited to UK weather, when it rains we are all stuck inside a very confined place playing board games with a wet and smelly dog and two kids, it is no fun at all.

On our journey home we looked at some larger motorhomes that were the same price as a Cali but had a proper lounge area and bathroom etc.. and thought this could be the solution.

We realise we lose the flexibility of the compact size of the Cali which would restrict where we could go, we would also not be able to just pop out for the day but we are now feeling the advantages of a small motorhome outweigh the things we don't like about the Cali.

We are still undecided and before people tell us to head to France or Spain, this is only an option for us once per year due to our jobs and shift patterns.
We cringe every time we get caught out in the spring going south to Spain and the rain hits us. Big or little, camper vanning or motor homing, rain is terrible on holiday. Forget the UK, and head SOUTH.

So we had been waiting excitedly for our weeks holiday on the South coast for six months now and when it arrives it rains every day for us! This is not the first time this has occured, last year we had the same problem in Cumbria!

We have now come to the conclusion that the California is really not suited to UK weather, when it rains we are all stuck inside a very confined place playing board games with a wet and smelly dog and two kids, it is no fun at all.

On our journey home we looked at some larger motorhomes that were the same price as a Cali but had a proper lounge area and bathroom etc.. and thought this could be the solution.

We realise we lose the flexibility of the compact size of the Cali which would restrict where we could go, we would also not be able to just pop out for the day but we are now feeling the advantages of a small motorhome outweigh the things we don't like about the Cali.

We are still undecided and before people tell us to head to France or Spain, this is only an option for us once per year due to our jobs and shift patterns.

Add a festival or two into your summer schedule. It'll transform your view of Cali ownership.

We've attended in a tent, a motor home and now in our Cali. We've experienced all weather imaginable, but without question the best all-rounder would be our trusted Camper-van :thumb

I am not a Mercedes sky. I am just reporting what I saw from my point of view. As I have made up my mind now on not purchasing a dated over priced van I will know longer need to be a part of this group.

I welcome your opinion and I do like to hear about what else is out there.
I don't mind you running down the California, because I can decide to agree or not with your comments. Some in all fairness, are most valid.
I love my Cali, she's been great. But I do like to keep my eyes open to other things.

I do find this all very amusing.

It seems a lot of people consider the Cali as just another alternative in the long list of motor home options.

Most I think just see it for what it is, a continuation of the long running love affair with the VW camper.

Personally, bad weather or not, I'll not set foot in a motor home or caravan whilst I draw breath.

On the subject of whingers, shut up or ship out.

We've recently survived four weeks of near continual rain on the west cost of Norway with 2 children (aged 2 and 3) and two dogs (aged 1 and 4).

We had difficulties to begin with, which we thought was one of too much gear. It took us far too long to realise that the issue was one of childcare. Once the penny had dropped things became much easier. We take it in turns to look after the boys, and never try to do jobs at the same time.

A driveaway awning is essential, and we've spent occasional nights in cabins, and once in a hotel. But, to be honest, the Cali plus driveaway is preferable to two adults, two toddlers and two collies on the 15th floor of a 4* Warsaw hotel. We also shaved a week off our time in Norway because of miserable weather - so I do understand the pain of the OP.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

I wonder if there is an ideal temperature range?

We loved Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania with temperatures 20-25, sunny and a gentle night time breeze. We hit very hot temperatures in Poland, Warsaw and Krakow being 35+. In the Cali in Krakow I realised that my choice of an external rather than internal topper was correct. The heat upstairs would have been unbearable at night with a topper fitted. The external topper comes with the option of leaving it off, windows open, and a breeze however slight.

We've got our first camper vehicle when living at UK, and for us were frustrating deal with the British weather because most of our escapades were to visit places in the country, implying long walks.

Soon we learned the weather in UK is what it is, and we tried to get the proper clothes to do things under the rain. It worked and enjoied many weekends visiting many places.

We're just the two of us, so I guess things are easier and had no toilete problems or even showers inside our Cali.

Now we live in Almeria (Spain) by the Mediterranean sea and it's true "we like more our Cali", but that's different history.

Estresao, exactly it's the UK...!!!
Unfortunately you take your chances with UK weather systems.

It's the same with surfing here. If you only surfed the perfect days, you would only surf twice a year. It's frustrating being a British surfer, but you make the most of what you have. Buy the right equipment to take advantage of whatever Mother Nature brings.
Most of all, just keep smiling;)

I empathise,when our boys were small we had a converted camper and loved it, we had a large awning (I don't think driveaway existed then)! And come rain or shine we were out in the "night night car" long journeys, days out even a birthday trip round Longleat with 8, 4 yr olds being able to look around ending with a birthday pic in the giraffe enclosure! The only wet holiday we abandoned was when the boys were 13 and 14 and we had progressed to a trailer tent...roll on 18 th as that's when we should be collecting our new Cali.....I am just so excited, think 3 yr old with a new Wendy house! Children (now 29, 30) and partners and dog all excited too! Holiday loosely planned as I think we are going to be chasing the sun!

In the Cali in Krakow I realised that my choice of an external rather than internal topper was correct. The heat upstairs would have been unbearable at night with a topper fitted. The external topper comes with the option of leaving it off, windows open, and a breeze however slight.

You've missed the major advantage of the internal topper, you can open the windows without having to take it off.

You've missed the major advantage of the internal topper, you can open the windows without having to take it off.
Hey Andy
What make internal topper is the one that stays in permanently and you can still open the canvas windows??
Is this the one you have??
We will be using our cali all year round and in Europe during the summer holidays cheers Jason

Hey Andy
What make internal topper is the one that stays in permanently and you can still open the canvas windows??
Is this the one you have??
We will be using our cali all year round and in Europe during the summer holidays cheers Jason
We have the Brandrup Iso-Top and that stays in all year and the windows can be opened as normal. You just open the toppers window first.

As far as I know all the internal toppers have zip down windows that then allow you to access the canvas windows.
Ours was made by Thais , the isotop ones certainly do as well - if you look in the "shop" at the top of the page you can find pictures of the isotop one.

I have this discussion quite regularly with friends and colleagues. Often the romantic idea of a campervan is very different to the reality of one (especially with old ones). People perceive a get in and go type situation but campers require planning and organisation to use the space effectively.

The best campervan experiences I've had were just me or me and one other. It's definitely got more challenging with two dogs along for the ride and I imagine it would be really challenging with kids in tow. It could easily feel like work rather than relaxation if you don't like that kind of thing.

A perfect example is a friend who is selling their lovely van after a year or so and a 3 bridges conversion beautiful but not cheap because it wasn't for them (they didnt get a pop top though which I think makes a massive difference). They won't lose any money (it was a work van before the conversion) and they're glad they tried it but they just didn't use it as much as they thought and found it less convenient than they expected.

Me, I love it, I really enjoy the van, but I always take some time to talk to admirers about the realities of van life. It's not always being parked alone in some idyllic meadows watching the blue sky over the sea. ;)

I have this discussion quite regularly with friends and colleagues. Often the romantic idea of a campervan is very different to the reality of one (especially with old ones). People perceive a get in and go type situation but campers require planning and organisation to use the space effectively.

The best campervan experiences I've had were just me or me and one other. It's definitely got more challenging with two dogs along for the ride and I imagine it would be really challenging with kids in tow. It could easily feel like work rather than relaxation if you don't like that kind of thing.

A perfect example is a friend who is selling their lovely van after a year or so and a 3 bridges conversion beautiful but not cheap because it wasn't for them (they didnt get a pop top though which I think makes a massive difference). They won't lose any money (it was a work van before the conversion) and they're glad they tried it but they just didn't use it as much as they thought and found it less convenient than they expected.

Me, I love it, I really enjoy the van, but I always take some time to talk to admirers about the realities of van life. It's not always being parked alone in some idyllic meadows watching the blue sky over the sea. ;)

Agree with so much of this. Lots of compromises and potential pressure points in camper van life, as we've found this year with just one 2yr old. What makes the difference for us and means we love the van though is having it as a daily driver, the spontaneous day trips and nights away as well as being able to make otherwise mundane journeys into adventures. By spending so much time in the Cali (15000 miles in 9months) we inevitably have great times most of the time and this means the stressful times pale into insignificance.

We are into our tenth week away in our Beach with two dogs and two toddlers - two years and three years. It has been hard work - especially the toilet training of the three year old. And we've had blazing rows too - one the other day in the supermarket - having run out of Campingaz 907 in both bottles, and exchange not possible in Poland, the row was over whether we should buy a cheap charcoal BBQ or eat out for three nights until we reach Germany. Insignificant matters become entrenched positions when living in such close proximity.

However, like the night I spent sobering up in a police cell while an undergraduate, nightmare experiences have a tendency to morph into life-enriching experiences, and I have no regrets in taking the decision to have a sabbatical year with my wife and two young sons. Whatever the weather, our family will be richer for the experience, much like, I hope, I'm a better man for having been incarcerated for the night.

Currently camping at a lovely spot next to Lake Constance,Germany. It was 32° at the weekend so time was spent chilling out swimming in the lake etc. Now it's 13° and raining a lot! However with our awning out and popup tent we can still cook outside and have a place for wet coats etc. Train station is 5 minutes walk, been to gorgeous Lindau today. Looking forward to sun again but you need a backup plan and things to do when it's wet. Pick your places well is my advice as weather can change dramatically.

Back