Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California is not fun any more in UK weather!

The South east corner has had the very best of weather. Quite sunny and dry today. Mind you, I did wear a fleece when I took my dogs for a walk along the beach :sad

I forgot to answer the main point of the OP. While our son was younger, we had a caravan rather than a motorhome. It is a pain to have to store and tow, but it did mean that we were always warm and dry in usual UK summer weather, had plenty of space to lounge around or watch tv/play games etc and you could go off separately in the car for days out without worrying about parking in small town car parks etc. The Cali is fantastic for singles or couples all year round, but I think when you've got kids and dogs to accommodate as well, the dodgy UK weather makes it a bit like hard work. Lots of people do it successfully, but I think the caravan worked better for us. Our baby (oops sorry, young man) is off to uni in Sept, so the Cali suits us just fine now.

We rarely camp in the UK now, always head to the continent, not just for the better weather but just a nicer feeling on campsites. Last time I camped in UK I was surrounded by caravans who the most important thing to them was setting up their satellite dishes the moment they arrive.

We rarely camp in the UK now, always head to the continent, not just for the better weather but just a nicer feeling on campsites. Last time I camped in UK I was surrounded by caravans who the most important thing to them was setting up their satellite dishes the moment they arrive.
I know! Makes me feel smug in the Cali - turn up, roof up, kettle on (or beer out of fridge), job done. I would love to spend more time on the continent, but my husband works like a dog and we don't get much time. We have tented in France/Italy/Spain for most of our summer hols for the last 25 years, and we just love it for all the reasons you say. But the Cali makes every available weekend a mini holiday, even if it is in the UK. We have been quite lucky this year though, haven't we? Early summer was fabulous, and we made the most of it.

They also migrate with their dishes.
When near camped Rochelle in early July a 6 berth British MH arrived with a car on tow. after getting parked out came a dish then a step ladder to get it up on the roof for a better signal. Only a retired couple in it.

Vango Air Hub - 3 mins pump up and we also have a driveaway awning. Mix and match. Here in Ireland I think the wind blows the rain off everything. The Air hub is pumped down as well, 2 + 2 kids plus dog, just about fits our weekends away here and off to France for 2 weeks in August

Vango AirHub.jpg

Vango Air Hub - 3 mins pump up and we also have a driveaway awning. Mix and match. Here in Ireland I think the wind blows the rain off everything. The Air hub is pumped down as well, 2 + 2 kids plus dog, just about fits our weekends away here and off to France for 2 weeks in August

View attachment 24085

How big is it/space does it take up when packed...???

Same size as my awning, when the rear bench slides all the way forward I think there is loads of room, I pack it last so it's first out so even if it is raining we can unload and set up. I'll take a photo of it in it's packed size this evening.

How on earth do you get all that lot (awning, pump, 2 x loungers, extra table) into a Cali + all the usual holiday clothes, food, toys, kids/dog stuff + kids + dog without packing it to the rafters and having to shift a tonne of stuff every time you make the bed/move the bench/access the boot etc, etc? :)

That is any form of camping in the UK though. Even in a motorhome or caravan the same bordom is going to kick in. You will be sat in a bigger space but you will still be sat indoors for the week.

This happened to me on a 2 week camping holiday in Devon on my motorbike many years ago. First weekend with my mates was fab sunshine. Day they left it started raining, forecast was 2 weeks of the same, I rode home. 2 weeks riding around and pitching my tent in the rain wasn't my idea of a good time so I went home and did something else.

If the weather is bad we generally look for somewhere with a better forecast and go there. We have still aborted a few Cali holidays because of week long rain forecasts for exactly that reason. In fact our last week away, the weather was terrible in the middle no matter where we went so we tried to find somewhere with better weather failed and went home and headed back out when it improved. Flexibility is what the Cali is best at after all. 2 soggy spaniels in a small space isnt fun.

Sadly flexibility doe not often go hand in hand with a small family and lot's of jobs. My Son has to wait until August to take his family away and as he is finance manager of the company that employs hime he has to be back for month end so their big family holiday is limited to one of three weeks in August.

He has considered France, crossing the channel at the busiest periods, long drives with two kids 3 and 5, still tempted but for now wants to play safe and holiday in the UK. Welcome to two wet weeks in a Cornish Caravan, :sad

How on earth do you get all that lot (awning, pump, 2 x loungers, extra table) into a Cali + all the usual holiday clothes, food, toys, kids/dog stuff + kids + dog without packing it to the rafters and having to shift a tonne of stuff every time you make the bed/move the bench/access the boot etc, etc? :)

Its similar to what we do, by putting the awning up firs & dumping everything in it theres nothing to shift to make the bed & nothing in the boot that needs accessing. It works well if you are staying in one place for a number of nights.

Its similar to what we do, by putting the awning up firs & dumping everything in it theres nothing to shift to make the bed & nothing in the boot that needs accessing. It works well if you are staying in one place for a number of nights.

Ahh, makes sense that way. We are a bit more nomadic though and although we might stay a few days in one place often than not it's a night or two and move on.

I'm a civil Engineer, everything is planed and fits, I do the unpacking and packing while the rest run around, I enjoy having everything I need, the awing is only while we go on longer breaks, again camped all my life in cars and vans, I have different crates and bags in my house for weekends, swimming, winter etc, my wife is an unbelievable organiser so it works well for us

I started motor homing in an old ford transit over 20 years ago when I left the forces. The reason being I wished to visit all the Napoleonic battlefields and see all the museums which had anything to do with Napoleonic weapons, uniforms etc which I collect. I had great fun, just me and two pugs who would wait on the front seats on look out when I was out of the van. Then I moved onto the big white box and over the years I added so much rubbish, satellite dish, extra outside seats, b-b-q and good knows what else that I had to remove two of the rear van seats just to get it all in. and I never used any of it. Then I moved down to a fiat LWB globecar a great van which would knock the VW into a cocked hat, cheaper with great shower and twin beds in the back and a good kitchen. I was able to get to all the places I wanted to visit in Europe and Russia but the downside was the plastic windows for one and it was know good in the UK. so that was sold.
The thing with motorhomes is that like the globecar which all come with a number of faults from new, there is know real main dealships, so the sellers play on its not our fault its the base vans fault and so on. the fiat came with doors not locking, sliding door opening when driving along which all got fixed by fiat then the dashboard went haywire due to fiat cutting the wires to short and the fiat spend more time in their garage then on the road. Then the boiler stopped working in Germany. so I made the 300 mile trip to globecar to get them to sort it. well they said know you must take it to one of our dealerships in the uk. so I did and they just had know idea what to do. in the end I got a mate to fix it. but by this time I had lost all trust in the van and it was sold.
now I am on the hunt for a new form of transport made by one company ( know passing the buck if it goes wrong ) to revisit the history I love so much. But to be honest I do wonder if just taking the car and booking a few hotels maybe a better bet. but then again I remember spending the night at a Napoleonic battlefield at night and just watching all the campfires, 100,s of them and in a odd sort of way I was in 1812 for a moment. would of never been able to do that trip in a car.

You don't really save money buying a camper van, instead it opens the door for a certain lifestyle. I love the freedom and the lack of need to book. I'd rather be camping (with the luxuries that come with a camper van) than staying in a hotel. We bought a Cali rather than a conversion for the reason you gave, though with a well made vw camper from a reputable converter, you should get good support (we had a Bilbo's and we're very well supported with the inevitable niggles). We chose a Cali because as well as being all VW built, they're actually on a par with a quality conversion.

Charles

Perhaps a long "summer" (warmer rain) holiday in Ireland is what's required?

Having cycle and motorcycle toured for years before getting the Cali, I can fully appreciate it's capacity and space as a shelter. I'm still "living the dream" in it, even with the Irish weather (which is much worse than the Sunny South-East anyway.) Perhaps, after a long stint in Ireland, the weather in GB, won't seem so bad? Only a thought..... :cheers

Its not about money.its about options. Today I have read of the french giving brits a hard time at airports. Now I know that the french are petty minded I lived there for 10 years so I wonder how far they will go to make travel harder. Germans may follow suit. As I have never camped in the uk and never will it maybe that the use I am able to get out of a new van will be limited. Not too sure how the green nonsense will pan out and dont think it will effect newer vans for a few years yet. I think that prices will start to slip a bit with all this talk of newer models coming out for vw and also mb talking about bringing the 4 wheel drive marco polo to the uk. I have also add little joy from vw dealers who are asking more for ex demo vans then a broker can offer for a new one.does anyone know the true dealer mark up on these vans. I have never meet a car salesman outside of a car showroom.

I've talked to dealers about margins quite a bit, having spent more time in showrooms than most people do over the last few years. The BMW guys were saying they have very little margin, they make more out of the upselling of insurance, paint protection, finance, etc.

Where I live now, there is less of a haggling culture and people trade in very low mileage cars, so there's even less incentive to discount...

I left that motortrade about 4 years ago after 17 years. Long gone are the days of healthy margins in the actual metal, the web put an end to that. It's all in the add ons now, finance commission, minor damage insurance, paint protection, gap insurance, service plans. When I left selling Skoda (VW group) we head 8% of the pre VAT, pre delivery price as guaranteed margin and a further 6% if all the boxes were ticked on audits and all registration targets were met.
So you may manage to get 3-4k of a 50k van. I know there's a few dealers around that will do this and maybe a bit more, but they only have certain allocation of vehicles, so you might get one much sooner if you find a dealer with allocation, but you'll likely pay more for it, same goes with demonstrators. Do you want it now, or are you prepared to wait? I bought mine 18 months old and I know I paid more than I needed to. I could probably have got a lower spec one, brand new for less, if if wanted to wait.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

A guy from a mountain bike Facebook group I'm a member of posted this recently (bird is the bike brand)

Not Bird related as such but man... a lesson this weekend.
Out riding early on Sunday – it is pissing rain. I’ve just got a load more tattoo work done so off riding somewhere a bit safe so I won’t stack it. With the rain it was all a bit sing. But I could hear laughing up in the woods, it wasn’t long past 8am!! So further up, there is a couple, looked young thirties, both on Bright Voodoo’s – Muddy Fox and Halfords beginner clothes and you can guess my thoughts.
Her bike was upside down, the chain had fallen between the chainstay and the cassette, they were soaked, mud on them from where they had been down and still laughing.
I helped and fixed their bike and said this place is ok, in bad weather it is a nightmare because the chalk makes it slippy, you should come back and you’ll have more fun.
“I probably won’t have time, this is my last year.” She said.
Last year – you emigrating or something?
“No, I have bone cancer. This is my last year and I don’t know how much of it I will be able to do stuff like this.” They smiled at each other and then she said, “Do you have kids?”
Yeah. I said.
“Then you need to tell them there is no such thing as BAD weather, just weather.”

This has had me bent out of shape all weekend. I was kinda in bits on the ride back.
I know this is heavy and I apologise for that, but you have to remember that for every breath you take someone is taking their last.
sing bike, old bike, wheel size, north, south, brand, none of it matters. Just ride and be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the same in Germany at the moment.
Campsite in the Black Forest and lots of frustrated Germans with dishes wizzing round trying to get a signal. It's not just Brits.

We had a Cali for 3 years with 2 kids and a dog (who was often soggy) - we had loads of good holidays and were generally lucky with weather. However the kids have got bigger and we are currently a two car family rather than a one car one camper family...

The maths stack up pretty well.

Our camper loan was £600 per month, we now lease a golf for £250 per month, so we are currently £350 per month better off. That allows us to rent a nice house for a week 4 or 5 times a year. Especially if you throw into the pot the money that we are not spending on campsites.

I figure most other holiday costs are equivalent between Cali life and rented life.

I am currently in Anglesey only 50 yards from the beach - which is a better location than most campsites I have stayed at, plus we have 3 bedrooms, Wifi, TV, Kitchen, Freezer, Fridge.....

We will return to Cali life once the kids have left home, but for the next few years we will be in rented accommodation. Of course we miss the flexibility of the Cali for weekends etc, but that can be partially recreated with a coolbox and a camping stove! Much more difficult getting changed after a bike ride in a car rather than the Cali though!

If I had any advice to anyone with kids - then get the camper as soon as possible while the kids are small!

A guy from a mountain bike Facebook group I'm a member of posted this recently (bird is the bike brand)

Not Bird related as such but man... a lesson this weekend.
Out riding early on Sunday – it is pissing rain. I’ve just got a load more tattoo work done so off riding somewhere a bit safe so I won’t stack it. With the rain it was all a bit poo. But I could hear laughing up in the woods, it wasn’t long past 8am!! So further up, there is a couple, looked young thirties, both on Bright Voodoo’s – Muddy Fox and Halfords beginner clothes and you can guess my thoughts.
Her bike was upside down, the chain had fallen between the chainstay and the cassette, they were soaked, mud on them from where they had been down and still laughing.
I helped and fixed their bike and said this place is ok, in bad weather it is a nightmare because the chalk makes it slippy, you should come back and you’ll have more fun.
“No, I have bone cancer. This is my last year and I don’t know how much of it I will be able to do stuff like this.” They smiled at each other and then she said, “Do you have kids?”
Yeah. I said.
“Then you need to tell them there is no such thing as BAD weather, just weather.”

This has had me bent out of shape all weekend. I was kinda in bits on the ride back.
I know this is heavy and I apologise for that, but you have to remember that for every breath you take someone is taking their last.
poo bike, old bike, wheel size, north, south, brand, none of it matters. Just ride and be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So so true sobering story buddy

Yeah. I said.

A post worth reading and so sad.Thanks Whislingdogg.

If the Cali does not make a family happy is it the vans fault or something else.
We hear of those less fortunate all the time and still we complain. Life can be a bitch but it is what we make of it.:Iamsorry

Back