Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis for sale

Best way get one and keep it like marriage,through thick and thin fix what needs fixing and enjoy
..... and when you've got enough money replace her for the jaw dropping new model that will be the envy of all your friends :D :D

If all goes according to plan, the Cali should go tomorrow for €8k less than the prices before the interest rate hike .. but the boat I am replacing it with, is €25k cheaper than the same model 6-8 months ago. It's swings and roundabouts, trading up a Cali for a newer version still makes sense, the numbers are just lower.

Reading this thread prompted me to see how much my current Cali which will be going back to the dealer soon is worth on WBAC. It’s a 3 month old Ocean with less than 2k miles with a list price of around £87k (it has a lot of options)

WBAC price today £56750, that’s a £30k loss on list price in 3 months :shocked

Reading this thread prompted me to see how much my current Cali which will be going back to the dealer soon is worth on WBAC. It’s a 3 month old Ocean with less than 2k miles with a list price of around £87k (it has a lot of options)

But you didn't pay the list price though I assume? (by the time you knock off VAT paid and the £8+10k discount, but you are still looking at a sizable drop).

However, what you are showing is what is actually going on in the market, alot of Cali's are not moving as people who bought 2021+2022 when asking prices were at the highest are now asking far too high numbers now they are looking at selling (assume the WBAC will be £5k-ish lower for a 2021/2022 van).

A private sale, for a really good spec van will not go for more than £60-£65k.

Even the trade is catching up to the drops, a lovely van was on AT for £71.5k last week, it is now at £66.5k (and if I was buying today, it would be the one I would buy) I'd imagine that the dealer would go even lower than that price to move the stock on.

As with all these things, people put a selling price on their van based on others which are listed, but often they are not being sold at the listed prices.

Everyone always says a cali doesn’t deprecate by much in % (one of the lowest) which is true, but 80k at 20/30% is a lot compared to a cheaper vehicle that only costs 20-30k or even my t6.1 van.
Market has been out of sink for years, so it’s time to just enjoy or you could be having some sleepless nights.

There’s a thread like this every year. At the start of the summer the classified list is large, by the end of the summer the classified list is quite bare.

It’s almost as if most people don’t think about buying camper vans until the sun comes out.

Lots of money. Higher interest rates, higher outgoings mortgages etc, awful equity release deals.
New tech arriving multi van cali and new crafter base vans coming soon.
New crafter based vans?? That's interesting, nearly sold my t6 Cali for a 6m grand but just didn't like the bulge on the front so I am happy keeping my cali until someone brings out a good 6m crafter, fingers crossed

There’s a thread like this every year. At the start of the summer the classified list is large, by the end of the summer the classified list is quite bare.

It’s almost as if most people don’t think about buying camper vans until the sun comes out.
Very true, lots of new factors interest rates haven’t been this high in years and Calis use to only rise in price slowly, diesel is trying to be fazed out, peoples outgoings are crazy, cheap flights to sunny places, most people have seen Scotland now and want sun without midges and a flushing loo.
Time will tell but £60-£85k for a cali is crazy. Loved owning one when I bought a year old 4motion Cali for £42k.

Prices are still way too high in the second hand market.

I was recently looking to buy a California Beach T6 or T6.1 and I thought the second hand market would be a good option. The asking prices were crazy even for a private sale. I could not find anything below 62-65k€ with the desired options. I tried to negociate but no one wanted to give me more than 1 or 2 k€ discount...

And then I searched new and went with a specific Spanish dealer with very interesting discounts, and today for 60k€ I have a brand new California Beach MY2024.

So yes I waited 4 months to get it, but why would I pay more for used van ?

There’s never been so many to choose from which equals buyers market

I had my 20 plate Ocean on this site, only had 1 phone call in 6 weeks, I put it on Auto Trader and reduced it by 3k and sold in 2 weeks !
I think it's an element of luck.
Did you try dropping the price on the California Club site too, or just on Autotrader?
£3k not a huge drop but perhaps it was the tipping point for someone looking.

I had my 20 plate Ocean on this site, only had 1 phone call in 6 weeks, I put it on Auto Trader and reduced it by 3k and sold in 2 weeks !
I think it's an element of luck.
Interesting. What did your Ocean sell for on Autotrader, if you don’t mind saying?

As an aside to the main thread here. What exactly happens if you go over the 90 days? Say you got to the tunnel on your way home on day 103?
When you leave, passport control will examine your stamps, if over 90 days in 180 (without a good reason) you are an illegal immigrant, they MAY: fine you, deport you, be added to a list of overstayers (making entry again more difficult), ban you from returning to any Shengen country for 2 years.
You are, of course, able to apply for specific longer than 90 day visas from the country you are planning to spend time in.

Personal thoughts on pricing, having owned T5, T5.1, T6 and T6.1 Californias since 2014

Obviously depends on mileage / condition / extra / manual or DSG

Just my opinion.

T5 California (2005?-2009)- circa £25k

T5.1 California 180bhp (2010-2015) - google this one and decide for yourself
T5.1 California 140bhp (2010-2015) - £30-36k

T6 California (2016-2019 all ulez compliant) - £42-51k

T6.1 California (used) £55k - £62k

T6.1 California (new / ex demo) £65k upwards

If yours is the FWD, then this is a carbon copy of mine when I sold it, age & mileage I also spec'd it like a Christmas tree too.

In March I put it on Autotrader for £67995 and didn't have a single bite (other than some idiot who said he was living abroad but could he look at it 3 months later when he's back the UK) at the time this was 2k less than anything comparable. WBAC I think were offering me around £58k so don't take that figure as indicative. I think they're just not in the market for campers hence the silly bids.

It's the same with convertibles. Best time to sell is in spring/summer, best time to buy in winter.

If yours is the FWD, then this is a carbon copy of mine when I sold it, age & mileage I also spec'd it like a Christmas tree too.

In March I put it on Autotrader for £67995 and didn't have a single bite (other than some idiot who said he was living abroad but could he look at it 3 months later when he's back the UK) at the time this was 2k less than anything comparable. WBAC I think were offering me around £58k so don't take that figure as indicative. I think they're just not in the market for campers hence the silly bids.
Yes, mine is a FWD 204 with virtually every option so I don't think for one minute that it's worth as little as WBAC value it at. I was just curious after someone mentioned that they would value Cali's at WBAC plus around £5k as a private sale so wondered what it would come out at. I'm pretty sure there's nothing much similar on AT below £70k. I remember getting a quote from WBAC for my R8 and nearly fell over that their value was £40k below what I had it up for and sold it for £5k less.

I think these type of buying websites like WBAC and Motorway etc are fine with more mainstream cars to give a rough guide price if you had to sell quickly but even then they can be up and down and a yoyo depending on what's happening in the market.

My replacement Cali will be identical to the one going back but with 4 Motion so hoping that holds it's value better when the time comes to sell that.

I am guessing you didn’t pay list….

I was genuinely looking to get new at the start of the year to replace my 2012 T5.1 SE. I was looking at basically £35k-£50k plus my van to get new.
Then I thought am I mad? The camping experience is basically the same but the driving experience would be improved with Dsg box, led headlights, 150bhp engine, etc.
£40k is a lot of holiday money - suffice to say I’m writing this on a cracking site in the mountains above Murcia with my 2012 next to me.
Cool we are heading back past murcia very soon did you get wet yesterday?
Is the site any good?

Cool we are heading back past murcia very soon did you get wet yesterday?
Is the site any good?
We avoided the rain by staying where we were in La Vila Joyosa. The site were on is https://campingsierraespuna.com/ and it’s a little village up a mountain. Site is lovely but the sanitary/ washing areas could do with upgrading. Used ACSI card - €21 p/n.